Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 378
Buffalo to Lake Placid

We are heading out to Lake Placid for a BBQ competition and week of camping for the 4th of July. I've been told to avoid going to Watertown and taking Route 3 over to Placid as it's a curvy 2 lane road. I'm looking at going the 90 to the Rome exit and then taking 365 to Route 8, over to 87 and up to 73 and over to Placid. Is this a "safe" route with my 37 foot toy hauler or are is there another route I'd be better off taking?
__________________

__________________
2014 Chevy 2500 CC, Duramax
2017 Wolf Pack 25pack12 Toyhauler
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
wbdavey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Oswego, NY
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
We are heading out to Lake Placid for a BBQ competition and week of camping for the 4th of July. I've been told to avoid going to Watertown and taking Route 3 over to Placid as it's a curvy 2 lane road. I'm looking at going the 90 to the Rome exit and then taking 365 to Route 8, over to 87 and up to 73 and over to Placid. Is this a "safe" route with my 37 foot toy hauler or are is there another route I'd be better off taking?
Route 3 was almost completely replaced from Watertown to Lake Placid for the winter olympic games in 1980. It is 2 lane and there are small towns along the way, but nothing really bad. I would take I-90 to I-81 north, then I-81 north to exit 48 (NYS Rt 342) a few miles past Watertown. Rt 342 takes you directly east to SR 3 and you're on your way. FYI, Rt 365 and Rt 8 are 2 lane with a lot bigger hills than you'll see on Rt 3. Plus it's a LONG way from Rome to I-87.
__________________

__________________
2015 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 WS. Rear LR, large street side slide with small wardrobe slide in BR.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Laramie Quad Cab.
wbdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 386
Go one way up and the other way back home .
__________________
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 378
Thanks wbdavey. Glad I asked. Google sends you the route you suggested. A co-worker told me to avoid that way, but I'm not sure how much experience his opinion was actually based on. lol
__________________
2014 Chevy 2500 CC, Duramax
2017 Wolf Pack 25pack12 Toyhauler
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
DustyRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY Capital District
Posts: 152
I agree with wbdavey. Going through Rome is way too hilly. I have traveled RT 3 it does have it turns but they are not that bad.

RT73 from RT87 is beautiful but it is hilly and curves tough too.

Depending on where you are staying in LP. If you are staying at a CG east of LP then make sure to use the military bypass around LP. Making the right hand turn downtown can be tough and LP streets are a little narrow.
__________________
2017 Forest River Surveyor 251rks
2016 Chevy 2500HD

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
I agree with wbdavey. Going through Rome is way too hilly. I have traveled RT 3 it does have it turns but they are not that bad.

RT73 from RT87 is beautiful but it is hilly and curves tough too.

Depending on where you are staying in LP. If you are staying at a CG east of LP then make sure to use the military bypass around LP. Making the right hand turn downtown can be tough and LP streets are a little narrow.
Thanks, we are actually staying right at the Olympic Oval for the first few days for the BBQ competition. Then moving to North Pole resorts for a few days, then going to Ausable Chasm for the remainder of the week.
__________________
2014 Chevy 2500 CC, Duramax
2017 Wolf Pack 25pack12 Toyhauler
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: western ny
Posts: 35
If time permits and you are interested there is a new wild center outside of Tupper lake that's worth a look just off rt 3/30 east of town
__________________
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb1725 View Post
If time permits and you are interested there is a new wild center outside of Tupper lake that's worth a look just off rt 3/30 east of town
That is on our list of things to do while we are there!! Any other suggestions?
__________________
2014 Chevy 2500 CC, Duramax
2017 Wolf Pack 25pack12 Toyhauler
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: western ny
Posts: 35
Talking Lake Placid

Other thoughts would be, hiking or driving up Whiteface Mt.
Taking ferry across Lake Champlain to Burlington Vt.
We just love that whole section of the State/ country
Our visit to the area will be Delta lake in July , Little Sand Point SP in August, both North and East of Rome
We are also from Buffalo. So much there to see and so little time
__________________

__________________
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.