Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 148
Campground in D.C.

Traveling through D.C. in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions for a campground close to all the stuff in D.C.?
__________________

__________________
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
lswartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 503
If you don't need electric & sewer there is Greenbelt National Park. 3/4 mile to the College Park metro gets you down town. It is a nice park too with some trails.
__________________

__________________
2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2010 Toyota Tundra 4WD
lswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,769
Here you go:
Learn To RV: Washington DC Campground Round Up
__________________
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Walkertown, NC
Posts: 335
Cherry Hill Park is the closest to DC, we stayed there a couple of years ago. It's a very nice, clean park with a Metro Bus stop on-site. The "DC by Night" tour was excellent.
__________________
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #5
Engineer of Crazy Train
 
ChooChooMan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 1,559
I stood at Greenbelt National Park. There was a tick problem when I was there a few years ago, so bring repellent. Couldn't beat the price. Showers are old, but nothing that shower shoes can't help. I would stay again.
__________________
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
Cherry Hill Park is the closest to DC, we stayed there a couple of years ago. It's a very nice, clean park with a Metro Bus stop on-site. The "DC by Night" tour was excellent.
This is the Place! Bus to Train from the C/G (DONT DRIVE IN DC)!! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Blackhat6mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St Simons Island, GA
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
This is the Place! Bus to Train from the C/G (DONT DRIVE IN DC)!! Youroo!!
Youroo. Where exactly is Cherry Hill Park? I'm headed up to DC for Vet Day and know nothing about available places.
__________________
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:58 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Capt. Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Franklin County, MO
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Youroo. Where exactly is Cherry Hill Park? I'm headed up to DC for Vet Day and know nothing about available places.
Cherry Hill Campground is in College Park, Maryland. Great place. We stayed there on the first F.R.O.G. rally, back in the spring of 2012. Less than 5 minute drive to the metro station. Station parking lot is pretty crowded during the week, nearly deserted on weekends. There is also a bus that goes from the campground to the station, but it wanders through the U. of Maryland campus and takes 30 to 40 minutes to get to the station.

As others have said, don't try to drive or especially o park in D.C. But the train is very easy to use and to get around on.

Have fun!
__________________
Mike and Yvonne
and Sophie, the little white dog
2017 Columbus 320RSC
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
ďIt's not how old you are, it's how you are old.ĒJules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Blackhat6mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St Simons Island, GA
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Cherry Hill Campground is in College Park, Maryland. Great place. We stayed there on the first F.R.O.G. rally, back in the spring of 2012. Less than 5 minute drive to the metro station. Station parking lot is pretty crowded during the week, nearly deserted on weekends. There is also a bus that goes from the campground to the station, but it wanders through the U. of Maryland campus and takes 30 to 40 minutes to get to the station.

As others have said, don't try to drive or especially o park in D.C. But the train is very easy to use and to get around on.

Have fun!
TNX. I'm used to the DC [Arlington] traffic as I go to DC on Memorial Day and Veterans Day for the last 16 years. I did Run For The Wall on a motorcycle from Ontario, CA to DC ten times and I meet my old Battalion [5/7 Cav] on Veterans Day.
Do I have to go through any tunnels to get to College PK?
__________________
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:05 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
TNX. I'm used to the DC [Arlington] traffic as I go to DC on Memorial Day and Veterans Day for the last 16 years. I did Run For The Wall on a motorcycle from Ontario, CA to DC ten times and I meet my old Battalion [5/7 Cav] on Veterans Day.
Do I have to go through any tunnels to get to College PK?
That is a Trick Question about Tunnels,we Don't know (How or Where) your coming from?? If you Don't Do Tunnels /Don't take the (Train/Tram) from (Cherry Hill to DC) part of the trip is (Underground)! Youroo!!
__________________

__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mpg

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.