Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #1

Campground suggestions for spring break week? March 30- April 6th.

Hello everyone, we are looking for a nice campground within a 7 hour radius of Albany NY that would be open those dates. We are considering Hershey PA, but open to suggestions? Thanks everyone!
racindirt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #2

Come hang with us at Camp Hatteras at the Outer Banks, NC. It's only an additional 5 hours each way. 🤗

I have family coming down from East Greenbush that week.

Smoking some hams on Sunday. I'll trade you some dinner for Stewart's coffee. 😋
Old 01-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #3

That sounds really tempting!!! That’s a long tow! I’ve got a 43ft cardinal, truck gets about 9 mpg!
Old 01-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #4

How about a bit further and the Lancaster area, Country Acres is a nice place with lots in the area to see and do.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:06 PM   #5

That 's a tough question cause Hershey has the amusement park for the kids? We are heading to Myrtle Beach Ocean Lakes, that's farther for u though. I would say when the weather warms up head to Camp Beth Page Campground Resort in Urbanna, VA
Moosey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey1 View Post
That 's a tough question cause Hershey has the amusement park for the kids? We are heading to Myrtle Beach Ocean Lakes, that's farther for u though. I would say when the weather warms up head to Camp Beth Page Campground Resort in Urbanna, VA

We love ocean lakes! Rented a house there the last 2 years! I don’t really want to tow that far. Our seasonal site opens up end of April so we are just trying to find a quick get away!
Old 01-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
Always Learning

In early April, there's not a whole lot open. If you go to Lancaster, there's a variety of things in the surrounding area.

I don't think Hershey's amusement park is open in April, but I could be wrong.

Both areas are near Amish country and Stroudsburg.

Maybe go to the Poconos? There are some neat waterfalls in the Delaware Water Gap area.

Or even just head to NYC and tour around there a bit.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #8

I never been to Ocean Lakes but I keep hearing good things
Moosey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey1 View Post
I never been to Ocean Lakes but I keep hearing good things

We stayed there in April 2016. Pretty nice place but a little tricky getting into the pull-thru with our 42’ rig.

https://flickr.com/photos/7200488@N0...57667023763915
Old 01-30-2018, 03:42 PM   #10

The question is, what do you like to do? Do you have young children? Do you want a place central to sightseeing or historic places or are you looking for remoteness to kick back for a week in nature. We all have different ideas as to what camping is all about.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
The question is, what do you like to do? Do you have young children? Do you want a place central to sightseeing or historic places or are you looking for remoteness to kick back for a week in nature. We all have different ideas as to what camping is all about.

Good point! We have 2 boys 8 and 5. We have narrowed it down to the park in Hershey PA and the Yogi bear in Williamsport Maryland. Any thoughts?
Old 01-30-2018, 03:51 PM   #12

Both sound good. Amusement parks are always fun for kids. Both of those places have other activities within an hours drive.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:01 PM   #13

From Hershey it is only an hour to Gettysburg. Beautiful park with lots of history and nature.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by racindirt06 View Post
Good point! We have 2 boys 8 and 5. We have narrowed it down to the park in Hershey PA and the Yogi bear in Williamsport Maryland. Any thoughts?

I went to the Yogi in Williamsport many years ago in my pop-up camper. Decent place but the pull-thru RV sites in the back were a little snug for my tastes. All of the water features were closed in the October weekend we went. Same for early April.

I drove through the Hershey campground- seems like a decent place. Chocolate World will be open; it has a free ride about making chocolate at Hershey Park and a handful of paid activities.

To throw a wrinkle in, you might also look at camping at Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Gardeners, PA. The kids can go fishing or just playing in the woods behind the sites. No real amenities but I grew up camping there and LOVE it.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I went to the Yogi in Williamsport many years ago in my pop-up camper. Decent place but the pull-thru RV sites in the back were a little snug for my tastes. All of the water features were closed in the October weekend we went. Same for early April.

I drove through the Hershey campground- seems like a decent place. Chocolate World will be open; it has a free ride about making chocolate at Hershey Park and a handful of paid activities.

To throw a wrinkle in, you might also look at camping at Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Gardeners, PA. The kids can go fishing or just playing in the woods behind the sites. No real amenities but I grew up camping there and LOVE it.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #16

I'm going to throw in another suggestion - Point Lookout State Park in Maryland.

It is about an hour away from DC, so you have all of those things to do that are FREE (you've pre-paid with your taxes). Our girls LOVED going into the Capital and seeing all the monuments, chasing ducks at the reflecting pool, climbing the stairs at the Lincoln Memorial, seeing the Washington Monument, the WWII Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, and of course, the Smithsonian. The Natural History Museum, Arlington National Cemetery and the Air and Space Museum are their favorites. This is all very educational, but they have lots of fun doing it and will be studying about these things in their school soon.

We drive into the burbs, park the truck and ride the METRO into town. Be sure to wait until after 9:30 before you get into town. Either be gone before 4 pm or wait until after 6pm to get back on the METRO.

According to Google Maps, it is 7 hrs 13 minutes to PLO SP.

PLO is on the point in Maryland where the Potomac River meets the Chesapeake Bay. It is beautiful, has 6 different campgrounds with different amenities; it has a great nature center, beautiful scenery, some resident eagles, lots of osprey, wonderful trails but during the summer - lots of bugs. During the spring, not many bugs. Perfect time to go. There have a lake and pier so you can fish, crab, kayak and canoe.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Last weekend at the RV show, I picked up a booklet and talked with a gentleman about the Jersey shore. Lots of amusement parks and different sections of the shoreline have different atmospheres. Close proximity to Philadelphia, DC, and NYC. I had checked out a few campgrounds online and there appears to be a fairly decent selection.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #18

i just it is nice enough to camp in early April i would be happY

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:54 PM   #19
Ben f

What did you decide? We are thinking of taking the maiden voyage of our new roo that weekend and have been considering Hershey because of this post. Looks like the park will be open Saturday to close out the trip with a bunch of other stuff around to keep us occupied during the week. I spoke to the campground and they seemed very friendly.
benf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
What did you decide? We are thinking of taking the maiden voyage of our new roo that weekend and have been considering Hershey because of this post. Looks like the park will be open Saturday to close out the trip with a bunch of other stuff around to keep us occupied during the week. I spoke to the campground and they seemed very friendly.

Yes, we booked yogi bear in Hagerstown MD. I called a park in Hershey and they said the water wouldn’t be turned on.

Tags
mpg