Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #1

Campground suggestions near Charlotte NC

Wifey and I are heading to Charlotte this spring. There seems to be relatively slim pickin's for decent campgrounds below there or over the border in SC.
Anyone have suggestions where to stay with hook-ups in that area? We're also entertaining the thought of race week Memorial Day.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #2

We stayed at Carowinds Camp Wilderness Resort.. It's been a few years since we were there. At the time their was an amusement park next door. It was close enough to Charlotte to drive in for dinner.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #3

How far from Charlotte are you willing to go? Cane Creek in Waxhaw, NC is great. They do offer full hookups, a beautiful lake, put put, horseshoes, basketball court, playgrounds (3), a beach, and some trails, plus a day use side of the park.

Andrew Jackson State park in Lancaster, SC is a bit smaller but still on a cute little lake, free row boats, and a playground. They have water/electricity and a dump station. A little historic building area and trails.

Both within an hour of Charlotte. Up on the North side is Dan Nicholas park which I haven't been to but is on my to do list.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #4

A small county park but very nice is Reedy Creek Nature Preserve. Carowinds is nice if you want to go to the amusement park. Both are on the south side of Charlotte close to the NC line. We have kids there so when we go we stay at Reedy Creek. Here's a link.

Camping/Outdoor Recreation
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
Retired Army MSG!

Kings Mountain State Park in SC or Ebenezer Campground which is county owned on Lake Wylie in Rock Hill SC.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #6

I like Kings Mountain too. They have a large historic battle ground you can walk thats paved.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

X2 Ebenezer Campground..

2015 FR3 30 DS
2014 Sonic

2015 Camped 60
2016 Camped 62
WVFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #8

Crosswinds Family campground(nice family run business), Dan Nichols County Park(county park very nice with hook ups), both are north of Charlotte on I-85. in or around Salisbury, NC
Coleman family campground(full hook ups) is next to Tom Johnson RV dealer(CW) right at race track. but if its race weekend or weeks it is SKY HIGN and full.
IF you do a race weekend you can DRY camp on racetrack property for around $100 a week BUT NO HOOK UPS. Been there done that.. Generators all running all the time except midnight until 6-7am(quiet hours). just an FYI.
randy
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #9

Cane Creek

2X on Cane Creek. Great campground, very well maintained and a terrific setting.
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBunk View Post
How far from Charlotte are you willing to go? Cane Creek in Waxhaw, NC is great. They do offer full hookups, a beautiful lake, put put, horseshoes, basketball court, playgrounds (3), a beach, and some trails, plus a day use side of the park.

Andrew Jackson State park in Lancaster, SC is a bit smaller but still on a cute little lake, free row boats, and a playground. They have water/electricity and a dump station. A little historic building area and trails.

Both within an hour of Charlotte. Up on the North side is Dan Nicholas park which I haven't been to but is on my to do list.
Totally agree with Cane Creek Park. Yes a little out of the way.....BUT.....well worth the extra drive time. We spent almost a full week there seeing all the NASCAR sights and visiting ole friends.

It was suggested to us by another one of the original 14 FROG's who live in the Charlotte area.

Hope you enjoy.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #11

Carowinds Camp Wilderness is a nice campground. We were there just last weekend and were pleased to see that they have made some improvements like resurfacing the sites and access. They have full hookup. We have stayed there several times.
tonyrentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #12

Wow. Lots of great reply's. I'd love nothing more than staying at a campground right near the track, hearing the thunder and smelling race fuel, but wifey and the kids might see it differently. I think Carowinds and Cane Creek will be on our short list.
I appreciate the help and one of these days I'm pullin' up roots and headin' down South for good where my heart and soul do belong.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg