Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 06:08 AM   #1
Dhm

Campgrounds Near Lexington, KY

We are taking our first long trip in October to the Lexington, KY area. I have been researching campgrounds, but most I've seen have mixed reviews, specifically that the grounds do not have many trees/lack privacy. We are staying 4 nights. It is just my husband and me, so we are not interested in family activities, just some trees and the usual amenities. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!
Dhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:28 AM   #2

KY Horse Park! Youroo!!
Old 08-05-2016, 06:57 AM   #3

We have reservations for Elkhorn CG in Frankfort, just to the NW of Lexington. Haven't been there yet but it gets good reviews. Planning on checking out the Bourbon Trail there on our way back from Pennsylvania.
2020 F350 SRW Crew Cab
si camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #4

Hi ,

The Kentucky Horse Park is well run and close to everything going on in Lexington.

In addition to hookup sites they have "overflow"dry options in the adjacent fields.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #5

Try Camp on the Kentucky. Nice folks. The road there is twisty though.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #6

Ky Horse Park has some nice sites with a little shade. We have stayed there four times and plan to go back. Check out "Shakertown" just a few miles away for a nice day going into the past. Great place to eat. And enjoy the displays and activities at the Ky Horse Park. Very nice place to be.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #7

Kentucky Horse Park is awesome.
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #8

Not far from Lexington but closer to Louisville is Taylorsville Lake State Park... not a whole lot of shade but a few shady spots. Real shady is in downtown small town Bardstown, My Old Kentucky Home State park. Wonderful, small and shady and close to many restaurants and Bourbon Trail attractions. Only a few spots can accommodate large RV/5th wheels so do your research online at reserveamerica.com I do Bardstown twice a year because I like the area so much.

Finally south of Lexington is BURNSIDE iSLAND State Park, just south of Somerset, KY. Many spots and most are shaded. Great golf course on the island.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #9
padcarroll

We stayed one night at a walmart in bardstown. There appeared to be a nice park on the southern part of town with plenty of shade and close to several distilleries on the Bourbon Trail.

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 9 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #10

My home territory. Definately the Ky Horse Park
speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #11

Its been a couple of years since we were out that way. We've stayed at both the Kentucky Horse Park and Elk Horn. We thought both were nice parks. Elk Horn is on the older side but was well kept and clean.

My folks used to live across the street from My Old Kentucky Home. The campground and park are nice but you would be about an hour from Lexington via the Blue Grass Parkway. There are a number of other places that Bardstown makes a decent home base for in addition to the distilleries. Mammoth Cave NP is a little over an hour to the south and Louisville about an hour to the north. Pleasant Hill Shaker Village is about half way between Lexington and Bardstown off the BG Pkwy.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #12

Parks near Lexington

Natural Bridge state park is about an hour Southeast. It is one of the prettiest areas of Ky. If you like to hike you might want to check it out They have a campground you can check out as well.
jodeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #13

Ky Horse Park does NOT have full hook-up sites ( no sewers). If you want a nice park with full hook ups take a look at Whispering Hills just North of Lex. We always stay there and visit the sights and horses. Take a tour of one of the horse farms in the area. Some derby horses are boarded there. Also a must is tour the Bourbon Distilleries in the area. Georgetown is a lovely town with some nice restaurants.
Whispering Hills RV Park

Enjoy your trip
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lexington, mpg