Old 04-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #1

Campgrounds near Mt Jackson VA

We are heading to Shenandoah Valley area in 2 weeks. Anyone know of any great campgrounds in the area. Trying to stay close to the area of Crabtree Falls. Would like to be in a full hookup campground.

Thanks,
Danny

2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
2016 Wildwood 27 RKSS
sdsferraro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #2

We live in the Staunton, Va. area, but have not stayed at the Mt Jackson/Shenandoah Valley Campground. We have stayed at the Luray KOA. Large campground, very clean, full service. Close to town of Luray, good for spending a day in the downtown area.
Not too far from Mt Jackson.
Also, New Market/Endless Caverns RV Resort is just down the road from Mt. Jackson.
Check RV Park Reviews web site. Has up to date info and ratings of most campgrounds. Easy to navigate through the site. Have been using it for several years, and haven't been dissapointed yet.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #3

I live in New Market (right beside Mount Jackson), if you want full hook-ups I would recommend Endless Caverns campground. It is about 10 miles south of Mount Jackson. All sites are full hook up. Be warned, it is on the side of a mountain. Lots of trees. Some sites you have to pull up the hill to get to. Some sites are somewhat secluded, others are close together. Depends on what you like.
There is a also a Mauzy KOA that is just a couple more miles up the road. We like it also for a quick weekend get away.
I assume you're aware that Crabtree Falls is about 1-1/2 hour drive from Mount Jackson?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #4

We like Endless Caverns. Also check out Shenandoah River State Park. Spacious sites and low cost. No sewer at sites however.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replies. We are going to try Shenandoah family campground. I will let you know how it turns out.

2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
2016 Wildwood 27 RKSS
Old 04-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #6

Shenandoah family campground? Is that the one in Mount Jackson? If so, I have never been there but I can tell you it is right beside Interstate 81. The noise from the trucks & traffic will be quite loud there if you're hanging out by the campfire at night.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #7
Just Love to Camp

If you are wanting to stay close to Crabtree Falls there is a campground in Stuarts Draft area called Sherando Lake Campground. Only been opened up 2 years are so. It is nice and we like it he is making improvements every year. Another is Misty Mountain in Greenwood. Very nice campground right off of exit 107 on 64. Another is Walnut Hills in the Stuarts Draft area. Don't know much about this one. Never stayed at is.

I know you have probably already booked but just seeing this post. Thought I would let you know in case you want to check them out if you come back this way.

We live in Stuarts Draft Happy Camping

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordes View Post
If you are wanting to stay close to Crabtree Falls there is a campground in Stuarts Draft area called Sherando Lake Campground. Only been opened up 2 years are so. It is nice and we like it he is making improvements every year. Another is Misty Mountain in Greenwood. Very nice campground right off of exit 107 on 64. Another is Walnut Hills in the Stuarts Draft area. Don't know much about this one. Never stayed at is.

I know you have probably already booked but just seeing this post. Thought I would let you know in case you want to check them out if you come back this way.

Thanks. Yeah, we booked already but we will check it out while we are there. It will gives us somewhere else to try next time.

2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
2016 Wildwood 27 RKSS
Old 04-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordes View Post

I believe you mean Shenandoah Acres. Sherando Lake is a national forest campground and has been open forever. Shenandoah Acres was popular when I was a kid. They closed and reopened just a couple years ago.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
Just Love to Camp

Yep you are right I was towards the end of the bottle when I posted

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, mpg