Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #1

Camping At Duck NC

We just purchased our first RV, a Rockwood, Signature Ultra lite and we are going to a wedding in Duck North Caroline. We are looking for a camping ground in or around Duck. Can you recommend one? Thank you for your help
Jim and Aileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum from Florida! Can't help with your CG but congrats on your new unit!
Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim and Aileen View Post
We just purchased our first RV, a Rockwood, Signature Ultra lite and we are going to a wedding in Duck North Caroline. We are looking for a camping ground in or around Duck. Can you recommend one? Thank you for your help
First, congratulations on the new 5er. We visit the Outer Banks several times a year. Duck is in the northern part of the OBX and I do not know of any campgrounds north of Kitty Hawk. Depending on the time of year you are planning on visiting, it could take you a while to drive from Kitty Hawk up to Duck. Highway 12 is only a 2 lane road going up north and in the summer can be very congested. So plan on giving yourself enough time to travel to Duck. The OBX has a number of campgrounds. Just depends on how much driving you want to do. As an aside, maybe someone is renting a beach house in or near Duck and they would let you set up your rig in the driveway. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

I agree with 757Dave. Not many campgrounds until you hit Nags Head / Kitty Hawk / KDH - and the ones I've gone past are little more than parking lots. It's not until you hit Hatteras Island and south do you get nicer campgrounds.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #5

Go to the US National seashore/park campgrounds at Cape Hatteras and Salvo which is a little North of Hatteras Village.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #6

50campfires.com rates the Cape Hatteras KOA highly. Here is the link:
Cape Hatteras KOA | Camping in North Carolina | KOA Campgrounds
You are still looking at a 1.5 hour drive to Duck, but Hatteras is very cool, as are all the points in between. I've been to the area 3 times just last year.
catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruane View Post
Go to the US National seashore/park campgrounds at Cape Hatteras and Salvo which is a little North of Hatteras Village.
There is a national park campground at Oregon Inlet. The one at Salvo has been closed for quite a while now. NO hookups at the NPS campgrounds. We always stay at the Cape Hatteras KOA - very nice . . . and new . . . hurricanes have a way of making that happen! There's also Camp Hatteras almost next door (a little further north), but these are all VERY south of Duck.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #8

I would not recommend any of the campgrounds, with the exception of one private one right next to Hatteras KOA. The name escapes me (Ocean Waves sounds familiar), but it doesn't matter, as it books solid early in the year. KOA is OK, clean, close to the Atlantic, but has the ambience of a Walmart parking lot. As previously posted, NC 12 can be congested during peak season. About 2hrs. to Duck(from the KOA) in summer.
Check with OBX visitors center for all campgrounds in the OBX area. The trip is worth the hassle, as the OBX are absolutely beautiful.
PJSNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

As many indicated, Duck is a long haul from Cape Hatteras. If it were me, and I needed to make mulitple trips to Duck, I would think about staying on the mainland or 1 of the northern Outer Banks campgrounds.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #10

Sorry about that I meant Frisco not Salvo which I last stayed at about 20+ yrs ago. The Frisco site, as is the Ocracoke site is directly on the ocean. Yes its dry camping but as sites go it beats the KOA site that I have stayed at twice with small sites and also floods when there is a good downpour. Its also next to the road and lots of other noise sources. The Frisco NPS site is a jewel and should be preserved as is.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #11

If I was just going for a wedding in Duck I'd check out the OBX Campground on Collington RD. I've not stayed there but did do a drive through and it looked OK. About two years old so everything is fairly new. Google it. Our first choice down that way is Camp Hatteras but that's a fair drive up to Duck.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #12

Nothing near Duck but there is a decent park in Kitty Hawk and on Roanoke Island which are closer than the ones down towards or on Hatteras. Still a long way to Duck so allow time for the distance and the summer traffic.
The Refuge has big back in slots with full hookups and clean bathrooms and a pool...as well as being on the sound side. Reservations needed in the summer so don't wait too long.
Refuge on Roanoke Island North Carolina 27954

Obx Campground is new and I don't know much about it but it does have full hooks and is right near the Wright Bro. Memorial in Kitty Hawk and would be the closest for you if available.
http://www.obxcampground.com/

If you want to mix in Beach time with the wedding..suggest one of the two above for when you need to be close to Duck...then pick up sticks and head down to Hatteras for the beach time. Both of the above parks are within 10 minutes by car of the Obx beachesand the "strip" of restaurants & stores & recreation.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #13

Camp Hatteras x2, go to the wedding in Duck and then head back to your ocean front cottage at Camp Hatteras for your honeymoon. Lots of things to see and do, go all the way to the end and take a ferry ride. You will not be disappointed. Great place to be, one of the most beautiful places you will visit.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:34 AM   #14

OBX

We stayed for a week at The Refuge at Roanoke (in Wanchese) in November and it was great. Very close to all the stuff in and around Nags Head/Manteo area. Was cold while we were there but they had nice pool area, nice new bathouses, and is right on the water.

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #15
W4DNA

North River Campground

We stayed at the North River Campground south of Shawboro, NC. Very nice campground with sites set up entrance to entrance vs entrance to sewer... What a concept!!! Camping | Outer Banks Campgrounds | North Carolina Campgrounds It's about 40 minutes from the campground to Kitty Hawk, so should be about 50 minutes to Duck.
NCRadioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #16

I camped at OBX - May 2014. Excellent Campground and it's only 14 mi from Duck. the sites are EXTREMELY large and open with plenty of room. Host was very nice and it has the best WiFi of any place I've been. I was able to use my Roku there during a storm. Rates are VERY reasonable as well. I highly recommend OBX Campground.
awtposts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping