Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #1

Camping Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH

I booked a week this summer at Cedar Point, in Sandusky OH, with three days in the park. It looks great!! Kids are excited!!!

Any one been there?

Any tips I need to know about the camprgound/park or information about things to do in the surrounding area.

Want to take the boys fishing on the lake, (charter boat if they have one).

Any info or tips would be great......
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #2

I went there about 10 years ago did not camp there but spent 3 days in the park and enjoyed every minute of it. I love roller coasters my son is now big enough and he loves coasters so we are planning on going there soon he mentions it alot. Your family will love it its a very nice park lines can get long but its worth it when I went they had entertainment in the lines to keep it fun.

Mike
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #3

We have been to Cedar Point, and had a blast, that is a trip for us down the road and will look at camping. Let us know what you think after the trip.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #4

You should enjoy CP, and the camp ground looks to be nice. Never camped there, but have seen it from the rides. Lots of things to see in Cleveland while you are there. Greater Cleveland Aquarium, is fairly nice. Museum of natural history is nice. Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and other tourist sites. Check out Cleveland.com for some info on things to do. If you are into sports, there is a nice minor league baseball park in Avon OH, and then there is the Indians, and Cavs, but I'm not sure when their season ends. You could also take a ferry over to the islands, and spend the day. There is also Toledo in the opposite direction, but I'm not sure of the attractions there.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There is soooo much to do and see,in the area. Marble head light house,for a family pic,(free) east harbor beach and park,jet express to put in bay,down town port Clinton, Way more than you will probly have time for,just in the immediate (15-20mi) of CP I don't know the exact time of you're trip,but if you are planning to fish via a charter,the only one I can recommend is Island Runner charter fishing. Caption Jack is great,and a lot of fun! The walleye ar good fishing in June'ish.
It's hard to get too much of CP! Have fun!
Post script: if you want to charter fish,it would b a good idea to check into it soon,before you go.
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
MI Camperz

Been to Cedar Point many times, but never camped. Live in Michigan, so no need. The park has a lot of amazing rides. People come from all over the world to ride some of the coasters. Lake Erie beach right at the park is wonderful for swimming. Sandy, water gets warm, etc. The water park side of Cedar Point is a blast too!

Take advantage of the 1 hour you get in the park before it opens (granted to anyone staying on one of their properties....hotel or campground). Pick out the coasters or water rides you want to ride beforehand and use that hour to hit one or two. The park can get so crowded once it opens, some of the lines are at least an hour long...some two. That's the down side of Cedar Point.

All in all, excellent fun! Great family destination.
Lynn and Mile
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
MI Camperz

update

Took this off their website for early entry:

Early Entry rides scheduled to be available in 2013 are: GateKeeper, Ocean Motion, Midway Carousel, Raptor, Millennium Force, Iron Dragon, Maverick and Planet Snoopy.

Mike and Lynn

p.s. The only thing you can bring in the park is water.
To shave a few bucks, I take those little packs you can add to water to make crystal light. I'm sure they have them in other brands too. Food/drinks can be pricey at the park.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Adventurer

Campground is really nice. Walking distance to soak city water park and to re amusement park. Nice beach area and pool too. Early entry was nice.

Suggest packing light. We didn't spend any time at the camp site. No bikes, grill, awnings, needed.
Local Ohio CGs - West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #9

Our family went last summer and had an ABSOLUTE BLAST!!! Then again we love roller coasters and rides. We stayed in the full hookup sites. Be aware if you want a traditional CG, this is NOT it. It is a resort style, no campfires period. If you want to use your rig as a place to sleep and eat it works out perfectly. The hot tub at the end of a long day of riding coasters is worth it.

I'm not sure how much there is to do in the area as we hit the park and then headed back to an Ohio SP for a few days of R & R.
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #10

Been there at camper village a few time and plan on being there for the Halloweekend coming up in the fall. Rolling buckeye hit all the good stuff to do and how to do it. The campground is very clean and a parking lot away from the lake.
Have fun.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #11

If you don't want to plan the fishing trip in advance, Shore-Nuf Charters out of Port Clinton has a head boat where they leave at a certain time, and you can walk on to fish as long as they are not already full.

Shore-Nuf Charters: Head Boats

I've used them several times. It's not as nice as your own charter, but when you're with a family and don't know which day will work out best ahead of time, this works.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #12

We'll be there in july right after the 4th of july weekend! Looking forward to it!!!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
We'll be there in july right after the 4th of july weekend! Looking forward to it!!!
We are not going until August, so if you don't mind report back after your trip! We are excited tooooooo.......
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #14

Cedar Point

We went to Cedar Point for years when we lived in MI. Now we live in TN and Pigeon Forge has Dollywood......everyone here thinks it's great. If they ever went to CP they would change their mind so fast. We also went to King's Island and it did not compare. Cedar Point is the best! The lake view from some of the ride is awesome! You'll love CP.
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #15

did you know that Cedar Point was sold to Canada??

Cedar Point sold to Canada | Sandusky Register
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have lived in OH all my life, and have never been to Cedar Point. I remember when Kings Island opened, and the year that the Brady Bunch and Partridge Family filmed there, and have also been there dozens of times. I just happened to mention to my wife earlier today, that we should go camp at Cedar Point some weekend this summer. She has been there as a child and I sent her and the kids up there over a long winter weekend, to the indoor water park, while I stayed home and gutted and rebuilt my kitchen, dining, and living room. I see this happening this year.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Was thinking of going this same time. Post up dates when finalized.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #18

we went there two years ago well worth the trip from cape cod to ohio. you go thru the park to get to the campground. wake up with a lake behind you and a roller coaster in front of you. work of advice, do not use your awning as the wind of the water comes up fast and with no notice. 3 days and still did get to ride all the coasters, and this was in june during the slow time. eat at the buffet worth the money, all you can eat. 4 kids can eat. hope to be there last week in june safe trip oldnewguy
oldnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnewguy View Post
we went there two years ago well worth the trip from cape cod to ohio. you go thru the park to get to the campground. wake up with a lake behind you and a roller coaster in front of you. work of advice, do not use your awning as the wind of the water comes up fast and with no notice. 3 days and still did get to ride all the coasters, and this was in june during the slow time. eat at the buffet worth the money, all you can eat. 4 kids can eat. hope to be there last week in june safe trip oldnewguy
Hate to tell you, but there is no such thing as a slow time during the summer months between the holidays. Best you can do is week days after 5:00 pm it slows a bit. It works the same as Kings Island. We use to go after work, get there around 5, and ride everything we wanted and head home. Weekends are a different story.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #20

I am a native Sanduskian. Born and raised in Sandusky. I even worked at "the Point" when I was a kid. It is with out a doubt the best park in the world IE if you like thrill rides. The Sandusky/Islands area is a vacation paradise. Something for everyone young and old. PM me for any information you may need. Space here is too limited for me to elaborate. As stated above Camper Villiage is not your typical campground but rather an RV resort. A great place to use as home base. if you want campfires...sorry. Most of all HAVE FUN and enjoy "VACATIONLAND'

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote