Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #1

Camping in Florida

We will be staying at Oscar Scherer State Park near Tamps the first week in April. Anything I should be prepared for camping in Florida at that time of year. As I understand the shoulder seasons are very nice.

I will need to get a waste tote as we will have water and electric and I am sure I will need to dump the gray water at least once during the six days that we are staying there.

The last time I camped in Florida was many years ago at Disney in June.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #2

I would think that the weather should be just about perfect for your trip to Florida. Last April my wife and I camped near Fort Myers Beach. There were days it was a bit muggy and hot but for the most part it was perfect for camping. I hope you have a pleasant stay and enjoy. I have never been to this state park and I only live maybe 40 or so miles from there, so I'll look to see any comments you make on the park for a possible camp trip of our own.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #3

Have driven through this park as we like to go over to the jetty in Nokomis right down the road and it is a cute park. I don't think we felt like fishing would be great there (but was just very surprised at all the tilapia we landed in Myakka river SP)

Most of the FL SP have really decent restroom facilities so your black tank should be OK, consider washing dishes like we do sometimes using the outdoor shower on our TT if we are without septic for a few extra days

If you want to continue hanging around FL in April take a look at Stringbreak at the Sertoma Youth Ranch just up the road...it was an outstanding music festival last year & we are now thankfully grandfathered in to our site (forever I hope)

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

Nice time of the year to camp there. We stay there frequently as we're only 20 miles away. We just pull up stakes to dump if we have to rather than using a tote; just personal preference. Good place to just relax.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #5

Not to high jack the thread but we are going to be in Kissimmee on 11 March at Orange Grove campground for a week, about what's the temperature like?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #6

Temps are all over the place this year; 60s yesterday and 70s today, for example. SWFL was averaging 5-10 degrees hotter overall this winter until the new year. I think el Nino is the culprit and Orlando is experiencing the same thing.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #7

March is usually our coldest month but as others point out the temps are like a roller coaster right now. Last year was colder and wetter than normal, for cast is same for next few months. Hopefully the weather people will be wrong as usual.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #8

It's been all over the place here in North Carolina too. DW retires February 29, we go to FT Fisher, a military campground for six days and then I hope another military campground for 3 days. We are really just taking a shake down cruise. We plan to stay out about 20 days and see how it all goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping