Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #1

Camping in Upper New York State in March?

We live about 150 miles north of the US/Canada border (north of Ottawa, Ontario), and are planning a road trip to the Florida Keys, leaving at the end of March. As we've travelled down to Florida before, taking I-81 and I-95, we have most of our overnight stays planned along the way (KOA's). Our only issue is our first night on the road, which will take us to the Syracuse area. There are no campgrounds open this time of the year, in that area, at least as far as we know, so it seems that our only option is to stay overnight in a motel. (Wal-Marts and truck stops are not to my liking.) Last year we stayed at a Best Western at Tully N.Y. Although it was convenient, being located right off of I-81, it wasn't very pleasant. We require a pet-friendly motel and from the looks of the carpet in the room that we had, it was very friendly with the previous canine guests, -if you catch my drift. Would anyone have any recommendations on other accomodations in that area?

Thanks
mkillora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #2

Look around at the state parks. Some are open year round but limited hook ups if any. There are a few. I know glimmer glass SP is but that's in Cooperstown and kind of away from 81 a bit. Me personally would do a Walmart or nice rest stop before I did one of them pet friendly motels. That's why we have the fiver anyway.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #3

We live about 20 miles south of Syracuse. Unfortunately there is nothing open anywhere on the I-81 corridor in that area as far as campgrounds. On the south side of Cortland at exit 10 (McGraw) there is a Days Inn that is pet friendly and rv/truck friendly. Also 2 small truck stop / gas stations across the street from it.

Seems like I-81 through NY is lacking in a good KOA or private campground with an extended season for Canadian travelers. Even yesterday - snow and 3 degrees, passed 4 or 5 rv's headed south on 81 when we went to the Syracuse RV show.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #4

Try looking into Bowman Lake state park in Norwhich NY. Used to be open all year. Worth a look.
lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #5

A website called www.hotels.petswelcome.com is a good site for finding pet friendly hotels wherever you are traveling. Just enter the city and state and it'll tell you which ones are pet friendly with a rating and the extra charges for pets.
Days camped in 2014: 7
hihocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #6

Thanks to KMP44! We started our road trip from our northern home this morning and drove aprox. 500 kms to the Days Inn in McGraw. As you said, easy on/easy off, with the RV friendly gas stations. The motel is a step up from the Best Western in Tully. At least the carpet is clean! Tomorrow we hope to do our first night of camping at the KOA in Hagerstown MD, after clearing the NY/Penn. mountains. And hopefully de-winterize, if the temps are favourable. We delayed the start of our southern roadtrip by one day as the forecast was calling for snow in the mountains. So far, so good! Thanks again for the tip!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkillora View Post
Thanks to KMP44! We started our road trip from our northern home this morning and drove aprox. 500 kms to the Days Inn in McGraw. As you said, easy on/easy off, with the RV friendly gas stations. The motel is a step up from the Best Western in Tully. At least the carpet is clean! Tomorrow we hope to do our first night of camping at the KOA in Hagerstown MD, after clearing the NY/Penn. mountains. And hopefully de-winterize, if the temps are favourable. We delayed the start of our southern roadtrip by one day as the forecast was calling for snow in the mountains. So far, so good! Thanks again for the tip!
Glad to hear it worked out well. We even ordered up a litlle snow last night to make you feel more at home

Enjoy the rest of your trip - should get nothing but warmer from here. Can't wait to get our season started.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #8

Safe travels and enjoy. Oh, did I forget to say I'm jealous too that you're camping already while all I can do is contemplate changing engine and genny oil and filters in 40 degree temps!LOL....
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #9

Well, we did awake to snow on Wednesday (March 26th), morning in McGraw NY. Was a little (read allot), disappointed to see it, cause we were meticulously following the weather forecasts and delayed our start to avoid it. Wasn't allot, aprox. 1 inch and by the time we hit I81 the salters had been out. However, the first 20 miles or so were a bit slick and I could feel the rear end of the truck loosing it a bit. Eventually, the roads dried off and there was clear sailing until we reached the PA mountains, where we encountered pretty heavy snow showers and wind gusts. When we reached our destination that night, - the KOA in Hagerstown MD, the owner asked us if we had been held up by the multi-vehicle pile up on 81. Apparently, the same snow showers had passed thru south of Hagerstown and over 40 vehicles, including semis had been involved, apparently with serious injuries. Luckily, at least for us, we weren't that far south. Temperatures hadn't changed much, i.e. below freezing, since we left home, and consequently, we weren't able to de-winterize. Was surprised to see snow on the landscape as far south as Richmond VA.! Drove to Rocky Mount, N.C. today (Thursday March 27th), and we finally left the snow and sub zero temps behind us. Seems like the dreaded "Polar Vortex" has played havec with spring everywhere. We were finally able to de-winterize upon arriving here. Nice to have water in the trailer again. Tomorrow off to S.C. Great to be finally camping again! (Sorry Sherman12) About 1/2 way now to our final destination of Key West FL.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #10

Glad you made it through without incident. Shouldn't be much chance of snow in Key West!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #11

Mkillora, glad to hear you made it through the rough weather ok. Wreck on 81 sounds scary. Key West holds a special place with me and DW. My brother used to own Artist House B&B on Eaton St. up to 2006. Somewhat world famous for the story on the "artist" that owned it late 1800's to early 1900's and painted in the turret tower. During my bro's time of ownership, if we were having a winter like this one I would just call him up and say "Jim, its been below freezing for 14 days in a row, he'd reply "Come on Down". Enjoy, KW it's fantastic!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping