Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

Campus Park and Ride RV campground, Philadelphia PA

Our granddaughter graduates from UPenn in Philadelphia, May 2017. It is not too early to plan reservations as most hotels require a minimum number of nights, and there are several other major universities with graduation dates lined up. Does anyone have experience with the Campus Park and Ride facility? They have a large flea market on the property every weekend as well as being a close in facility to the VA, UPenn and Childrens hospitals, and more. Thanks in advance.
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Always Learning

I've only just heard of this place, but it's on my short list of places to stay at when we need to be in the Philly area for a wedding in October.

It's a parking lot, plain and simple.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #3

You might want to check out Timberlane across the river in NJ another good option but not as close.
Timberlane Campground - Clarksboro, NJ - RV Park Reviews
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
You might want to check out Timberlane across the river in NJ another good option but not as close.
Timberlane Campground - Clarksboro, NJ - RV Park Reviews
This is the first place that I've ever seen that charges electricity for weekly rates. AND there's a per kid fee. It's a shame.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
This is the first place that I've ever seen that charges electricity for weekly rates. AND there's a per kid fee. It's a shame.
I have not looked at their rates as I doubt we would have a reason to stay there.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue river View Post
Our granddaughter graduates from UPenn in Philadelphia, May 2017. It is not too early to plan reservations as most hotels require a minimum number of nights, and there are several other major universities with graduation dates lined up. Does anyone have experience with the Campus Park and Ride facility? They have a large flea market on the property every weekend as well as being a close in facility to the VA, UPenn and Childrens hospitals, and more. Thanks in advance.
Wow, I never heard of this place. I worked on the Penn campus for close to 30 years. Graduation is a very congested time. As are Freshman move in days.

If you are not planning on using the Campus Park and Ride bus or SEPTA (public transportation) you will find parking a car difficult and a truck more so at graduation.

Make sure their ride schedule suits your needs. You don't want to be wandering around on SEPTA or walking to and from subway or bus routes if you are not used to urban conditions.

The streets in Center City and West Philly are mostly narrow and that is a challenge for many out of town visitors.

Whatever you do, avoid getting towed by private towers or the Parking Authority. Read the parking signs carefully. I have seen marked police cars get parking tickets near the Penn campus!

i wish I had a better suggestion for you but I don't.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:46 PM   #7

Thanks Delco Bobby. We're originally city kids ourselves, and have visited Philly, staying just down the street from her dorms at Homewood Suites, and walked all the way downtown to Liberty Bell, etc. And back. We know the streets are narrow and parking non-existent!
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #8

Stayed there in March

Sorry this has taken so long to answer back. We stayed at Campus Park and Ride for 5 nights back in March. Our son and his family lives in South Philly. There are about 20 (didn't count) spots that have 100 amp service and water. there is a dump site at the far end by the office. There is also indoors showers, toilets and a dumpster if needed. We used the toilets to keep our black water down. Cant remember prices but had to pay the the motorhome and the toad. Nothing fancy . . . it is a parking lot. During the week filled up with cars. The RV spots are over by an old warehouse. There is plenty of room to park your car next to your unit. There is a 50 amp, 30 amp and 20 amp gfi plug in each box . . . bun only 100 amps total. Not the greatest neighborhood, but good security. You get a card to badge in and badge out at the gate (make sure you do both even if the gates open) Very convenient place to park the RV. We've stayed in Jersey and other places around Philly, but they were an hour out. We will stay and Campus Park and Ride next visit. Google them for prices and I'd make a reservation if they required that. Stay 6 nights and 7th is free. Very friendly and helpful staff. Hope this helps.
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #9

Good to know, thanks.

I am considering using this facility to attend events along the water front. I have avoided these for years but if I can eliminate one hassle out of a few I may give it a try. The one hassle being traffic jams that events cause.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #10

Negatives on other campgrounds

New Jersey did have a beautiful campground, but you did have to pay for electricity. Also, being from a gun friendly state, I may or may not have a firearm in my RV. If I do camping in New Jersey, I am breaking serious laws and could spend lots of time in their jail. So I avoid camping in non-gun friendly states . . . even if I don't have any firearms with me.
Campgrounds in Pennsylvania are so far out from Philly proper, an hour trip each way is the norm. One night, going home tired, we got lost and it took 3 hours . . .
Our kids live close to the river and it's easy to get on Washington Avenue from Campus Park and Ride and zip over to all activities. Just have to be aware of the double parkers along the route . . . especially around the Italian Market. (but a neat place to visit)
Oh, and it's just around the corner from Penn University ! !
One note, the farther you are away from the office area . . . the closer you are to the train tracks on the other side of the fence. Didn't hear very many trains though . . .
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #11

Very true about New Jersey and guns carried by non criminals.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:47 AM   #12

Try Colonial Woods in Quakertown it's fairly close and it's a nice place
Majicdoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg