Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #1

Can I Get Off the Ride Now?

Gosh, it's been an interesting few weeks. I introduced myself here late last summer (2009) after I purchased a used Shamrock 23RSS. We just love our little rig and use it every weekend when we can.

For some time, I've been having hip troubles. I work for a SoFL hospice and spend my days getting in and out of my car to visit patients. I found it really difficult to climb in and out of the queen slide, so I put a little stool there to make it easier. Was getting steroid injections, which helped a lot, but also caused cataracts. Had lens implant surgery and got them fixed. Was scheduled for hip replacements on Nov 1 and Nov 15. In October, my employer brought in a Mammovan to make it easier for us girls to screen, and to do their part for breast cancer awareness month. Mine came back abnormal. Since then, it's been a whirlwind. I have stage 3 cancer and had a bilateral mastectomy on the 8th. No new hips for me this year, but months of chemo then radiation since nodes were involved.

Months ago, we made an appointment to put the Shamrock in the shop for a look over and a few little repairs. That was supposed to be a week ago Saturday. I was still recovering from surgery and in no shape to help carry everything into the house, so we postponed. I'm supposed to start round one chemo this Wednesday. I enjoy spending Thanksgiving at home every year, but this year we decided to go to our favorite little camping spot and join our friends for a pot luck turkey dinner.

My car was in the driveway and it wouldn't start because it's been sitting for weeks. Roadside assistance came after we couldn't jump start it, got her cranking and told me my battery was bad. Off I went to Auto Zone. It took hours to get the battery out. Got home and the trailer was loaded and hitched, so off we went. About 45 minutes from home, we hit the sugar cane fields east of Belle Glade FL. My partner Mel let out a string of bad words and pulled over. A tire on the driver side of the rig blew. We were going to get them checked/replaced since it's a 2007 and I had no record of the previous owner changing them. Then I had dread because I had not purchased a jack.

Mel made a whole bunch of calls and while walking around the trailer, noticed that the front tire on the other side had also separated but did not blow. Roadside assistance said they do not support travel trailers. I called the local RV dealr and told them of our situation. They gave me the phone number of the tire dealer they use. We called them and they had our tires in stock. I had them bring four. In all, we sat on the road for three hours and got away with just over four hundred to change out the tires, with service and tip. The spare was also bad, so they took one tire that was still good and mounted that under the cover.

So, sorry for the long story. I have to shop for a jack ASAP because I never want to go through that kind of stress again. Any good recommendations?

It was a lovely peaceful and relaxing weekend otherwise with lots of good food and nice balmy temperatures. I have lots of reservations made for camping over the next few months. Now it's a matter of waiting to see how sick the chemo makes me. I'm very comfortable in the camper but not sure how well I'll do in the truck for 2-3 hours each way.

2009 F150 Supercrew - 2007 Shamrock 23RS Hard Slide -buh bye!
2011 Outback 260FL
Cleo & Isis - Jack Russell Terrorists

Nights camped in 2010 - 54
Nights camped in 2011 - 93
sunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #2

I love the fact that you refuse to be a victim of all your misfortunes. Good for you to be courageous enough not to let these things keep you from doing what you love to do.
My prayers are with you and please keep us informed on how things go.

Good luck and happy camping!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #3

No, not going to be a victim in all of this. I find something to laugh about every day and am determined to do the things I love, as much as I can. I love camping more than almost anything and it goes well with other things I love like snorkeling, sharing food and making new friends.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply!

2009 F150 Supercrew - 2007 Shamrock 23RS Hard Slide -buh bye!
2011 Outback 260FL
Cleo & Isis - Jack Russell Terrorists

Nights camped in 2010 - 54
Nights camped in 2011 - 93
sunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I would send a thank you card to the roadside guys who helped you. You were very vulnerable and they did not take advantage of you.

A plug here would not be deleted (by me anyway).
Always in the market for a reliable repair dude.

Prayers are with you,
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Don't give up!!!

Also see the thread on tire changing here--
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tire-9535.html

Peace!
KyDan
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #6

Wow what a great outlook on life. You sound like us when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. Then came diabetes, then cholesteral problems, as well as a couple of other scary moments to go with some heart and respiratory issues she already had. Combine this with some personal and financial difficulties and you know we thought it was the end of the world for us. Then we realized how lucky we were. Jo got through with much less surgery and only radiation, pills help with her blood pressure and heart,cholesteral and respiratory problems and she has managed to keep her diabetes under control with diet. It has been almost six years now and we are savoring every moment we get. Life goes on and it can get better. Your story is truly inspirational and we admire your can do attitude greatly. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers but in the meantime....YOU CAN DO IT GIRL......... SO GO FOR IT!!!!! Thanks for really uplifting short story. Old Guys

Old 12-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #7

Great story......you handled all that allot better than I think I could ! Stay strong.....keep fighting.....your are a inspiration !! Thoughts and prayers are with you !!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #8

Great attitude on life!! You'r only beaten if you don't get back up.
I am concerned about the tire you kept as a spare if it is the same age as the others. A friend of mine did that last year when he changed his tires. On the way to Big Bend last April he had a flat and put the spare on. It blew after 10 miles. It had lots of tread but was dry rotted. I don't mean to scare you but I would hate to see you go through all that trouble again.
Our prayers are with you, we hope all you'r medical issues are resolved successfully.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote