Old 05-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Did a trip last year where we had 60mph winds over night. Lots of trees down in the campground, one doing a lot of damage to a 5th wheel. No one hurt, other than loss of sleep our MH did find.

On poor guy was shell shocked driving out in the morning, back levelers mostly down. I waved at him as he came by our campsite, but he just had a dead stare and never saw me. They broke off at the exit to the campground, he never stopped.

Storm damage, American Creek Campground by cdrdwd, on Flickr

=================================
http://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #12

can your camper blow over?

We were at French creek state park In Northeast, Maryland about 4 years ago when a very bad storm came through. Winds lightning rain. All I could think of is the movie cast a way when Tom hanks was out in raft after plane went down. This was around 12 mid night and was a scary couple hours. After storm was over and I was able to get out past my busted awning. Could not get it down due to massive lighting. Life worth more than awning. There was quite devastation. Every road in park had trees down on it. Trees fell on trucks and cars my awning. One huge tree was inches away from a pop up. The five in that would have been goners.

No one got injured lots of damage. That experience though scary does not prevent us enjoying camping.

Life happens no matter where you are. I tell my wife if it is my time to go I'd rather be in my camper on my motorcycle or on a cruise ship.

5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
We were at French creek state park In Northeast, Maryland about 4 years ago when a very bad storm came through. Winds lightning rain. All I could think of is the movie cast a way when Tom hanks was out in raft after plane went down. This was around 12 mid night and was a scary couple hours. After storm was over and I was able to get out past my busted awning. Could not get it down due to massive lighting. Life worth more than awning. There was quite devastation. Every road in park had trees down on it. Trees fell on trucks and cars my awning. One huge tree was inches away from a pop up. The five in that would have been goners.

No one got injured lots of damage. That experience though scary does not prevent us enjoying camping.

Life happens no matter where you are. I tell my wife if it is my time to go I'd rather be in my camper on my motorcycle or on a cruise ship.
No matter where I am at or how long I stay I roll in the awning before I go to bed because stuff happens.

Glad no one got hurt...
Old 05-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #14

Saw a 5ver that flipped over in wind a few years ago. Wheels and the right front landing gear were on a concrete driveway but the left side (downwind) was on dirt that was softened by rain. That leg just pushed into the dirt and it rolled over.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #15

Two words.......weather apps.

But yeah, bring in the awnings.

We were at Dardanelle State Park 2 years ago when a tornado went within a mile. It was scary! The state park ranger came around with a bullhorn and MADE everyone leave and drive to the Info Center where we spent 4 hours in the basement huddled together............but SAFE.

Not sure how a KOA or some private campground would handle it, I assume Laissez Faire!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #16

Blew this heavier trailer over, so yes

That was a tornado though and a pic from our shop just down the road about 150 yards from my house.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Two words.......weather apps.

Not sure how a KOA or some private campground would handle it, I assume Laissez Faire!
I have stayed at several KOAs in the midwest and they post evacuation directions in the bathhouse. One we were to report to the community center house there on site and another, we would have to drive to a nearby center.

We were under a tornado watch when we were in Spearfish South Dakota KOA - did not ever escalate to a warning but we had strong 50 mph winds all night. Our popup weathered the storm well (though it was not a restful night with all the flapping noise of the tenting and watching the weather on my phone). In the morning I found the whole trailer had been scooted several inches by the drag marks in the gravel behind the stabilizers).
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #18

As has been stated yes. Probably the most likely would be from straight line wind shear. We lost a MH in 100-110 MPH wind shear here in New England...although did not tip as the wind came from the rear....but the MH was rocking hard. had it come from the side we would have gone over.

Now here is an interesting thing I heard...wonder if anyone else has. After this I was told by an RV dealer that an RV (especially an MH) is far more likely to tip over with the landing gear down than retracted. The theory was retracted your sitting on suspension and the MH can rock and roll better on the shocks and suspension whereas on the levelers it is rigid and far easier to tip.

Anyone ever heard this?
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #19

Wreckhouse!

The main ferry link to our province is on the south west corner at Port Aux Basques. As you leave there to drive across the province, you'll come to an area known as "Wreckhouse." Back when we still had trains they would occasionally be blown off the tracks when the weather conditions were right (or wrong - depends on how you look at it). Even now, the weather service will issue a warning to stay off the TCH there if the winds are high and the government has installed electronic warning signs to that effect. Still, some people don't heed them and reports of overturned semis and RVs hardly make the news anymore. So if you travel to our province and there is a Wreckhouse wind warning issued, please heed it!!!

FYI here is a link from Truck News on it.
Beware the Wreckhouse winds - Truck News
Old 05-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #20

I cant imagian that anyone would ask that question, maybe Im missing something.

Amateur Radio W5CI 2016 Days Camping 50
2017 Days Camping 77
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper