Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #41

My trailer is a 27 ft with opposing slides. With slides in there is very little room inside the trailer with no access front to rear. I suppose I could close the slide on the windward side. That might help some. Fortunately the emergency exit is opposite the entry door.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #42
rvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
I suppose I could close the slide on the windward side. That might help some. .
I would think you'd want to do the opposite...
closing the downwind side and opening the upwind side would move the center of gravity (CG) to the side the wind needs to lift, making it harder to roll.

Doing it the way you suggest would move the CG to the downwind side, making it easier to roll...

-rvb
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
A couple years back in Kansas, In one week we were in tornado warnings three times. First night we spent driving around for four hours avoiding the cell. The other nights I filled all tanks(full hook ups). Figured the extra 1700lbs of ballast couldn't hurt. Just another thought
You beat me to it. I've filled the tanks on a couple of occasions to get extra weight and to lower the center of gravity. And, in reference to the earlier post about whether or not to keep stabs down….. You definitely want the stabs down. Every inch the camper can rock to the side results in a change to the center of gravity allowing it to be more easily pushed over. I guess if you wanted to combat straight line winds and had the time to do it you could also move your rig and point the nose into the wind.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
I would think you'd want to do the opposite...
closing the downwind side and opening the upwind side would move the center of gravity (CG) to the side the wind needs to lift, making it harder to roll.

Doing it the way you suggest would move the CG to the downwind side, making it easier to roll...

-rvb
That's a good point. My thoughts were less surface for the wind to catch but counter balancing against the wind does have it's merits.
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:44 AM   #45

During our 2016 Florida tour (January & February), we had a couple bad storm fronts to deal with. When these storms were predicted, we watched the radar and when the storm approached we left the wooded campgrounds and headed for an open area where we could point the rig into the wind. And then watched the radar closely for bad cells. I thought the chances of a large branch coming off a tree and hitting the motor home was more of a possibility than being flipped over.

Tags
camper