Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #1

Cape Hateras NC

We are in the planning stages of a week on the Outer-banks. We are looking at the fall possibly early October. Any suggestions of a CampGround? We would desire one that allows campfires. I have yet to find one along this stretch in Nags Head Kills Devil area that will allow fires.
Wally
Old 03-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #2

Most of your beach CG's don't allow fires on the ground. I know some do allow a fire in a portable fire pit if it's off the ground. If you are going around Emerald Isle we've stayed at Holiday Trav-L-Park and have to say this is a top notch campground. Here is a link Holiday Trav-L-Park - RV Park, Camping, Motorhome Park in Emerald Isle, NC Highly recommended.
2004 F-150 4x4 Super Crew
Equalizer WDH
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
LunaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #3

cape hatteras koa dosent allow fires at the site but unless they have changed you can build a fire on the beach as long as it was built below the tide line,koa is in rhodantie which is a little farther south on #12 in the National seashore.

2002 F250 7.3 Diesel
2012 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite
striper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
WE were at OBX year before last----------------

We were at the outer banks year before last. As you remember, there was a bad hurricane last year that cut the highway in several places on the OBX. I don't know if all has been repaired at this time. We stayed at a RV park in WAVES which was right on the ocean. They did allow camp fires.

BUT and I mean BUT, take your bug spray. The mosquitoes were so big, they all had personal names. Another words, the bugs were bad even during high noon with a breeze blowing. Maybe the storm blew them away, but I don't so (too many).

Anyway, good luck on your trip to the OBX.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #5

We frequent obx. Usually stay at Ocean Waves CG in Waves. I believe the whole no campfire thing is an ordinance down there. You can have them on the beach tho. This CG won't even allow tiki torches. We like this CG so much we don't care.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Jpc

The road is open!

The road has been opened to Hatteras Island since late 2011.
Jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #7

Cape Hatteras

Hi,
We are heading down there the week of October 14th and staying at the Hatteras RV Park in Rodanthe, second time down there but first time with a motor home. Not sure if you are taking a toad, rental cars are may be an issue as the ones in Kill Devil Hills ( Enterprise ) will only go down to the Oregon Bridge Inlet which is 13 miles away. There is a local rental outfit Island Crusiers which does have car and SUV rentals, may not be new units but in good condition. We are going with them on this trip. See attached link for Hatteras RV Park. Concrete pads.

Camp Hatteras Resort & RV Park - The World Class RV Resort on the OBX
Joerossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #8

Hatteras

We were there two years ago, carried the TT over on the ferry, scary experience and tight quarters to drive in...The area we stayed was I believe Hatteras Campgrounds...please stay away from there...very small sites and almost impossible for any privacy...Did see some other very nice camp grounds around the area and had a good experience watching Fireworks on the beach during the 4th of July...Roanoke has a great live play on the Lost Colony..must see...
LKicklight
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
I just tow the TT for DW!

We were there in June and stayed at Camp Hatteras on the Coast to Coast rate of $10 per night. Can't beat the price! We actually liked the sound side better. Less traffic and better views IMO. We also stayed at Waves a couple of years ago, and liked it too. I'll second the trip over to Roanoke to see The Lost Colony production. Well worth the money! Also the ferry ride over to Okracoke is nice. Here's some pics from our trip earlier this year.

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #10

We stay on the sound side of Camp Hatteras, usually right next to the sound.
I wouldn't sweat the campfire thing, I too seem to think local ordinances do not allow them.
Be sure to go to the Pea Island Ranger station just before dusk. (A handfull of miles south of the Bonner Bridge, the big one in the photo above). Take the pathway just past the restrooms that turns west for a quarter mile or so. At the end of the walk you will see a platform with steps that is 15 or so feet off the ground. Set up there and watch nature 'happen'! You will thank me for it!
Jack
PS, get there early and walk across the dunes to the ocean, look just to the south a couple hundred yards from the beach and you will see the boiler from a shipwreck that has been there over a hundred fifty years!
Here is a link to the 'Oriental' shipwreck.
http://towndock.net/news/shipwreck-o...ago-this-month

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #11

Camp Hatteras

We just returned from Camp Hatteras in Rodanthe, not bad at all, we were given site # 1 near the water on the ocen side. The campground was about 10 % full at best. Site was good, concrete pads, distance between sites was about the same as most private places we have stayed at. At this time of the year you could get one in the middle of the area and not have anyone near you for a couple of Hundred feet!. It is nice to hear the ocean waves hitting the beach at night. Will revisit in 2 years
Joerossi is offline   Reply With Quote