Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
rattleNsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Western Connecticut
Posts: 1,571
Outer Banks is a great location. Easy drive. Raleigh NC East on Rte 64 into Nags Head then South on Rte 12 into the Nat'l seashore. We've stayed at 'Ocean Waves' campground in Waves NC. VERY reasonable with decent sized sites and 100 yards from the water. Big rig friendly campground.
__________________

__________________
2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 305
Outer banks are great, but we LOVE

1. James Island County Park outside of Charleston. It's not at the beach, but about 4-5 miles from Folly Beach. It has a water park inside the campground, a climbing wall, miles and miles of trails, wonderful place.

2. Hunting Island SP, outside of Beaufort, SC. 200 sites, only thing on the island is the state park. Great natural beach with millions of shells, about 5 miles of beach so you can find a great place to lay in private. Good size level sites, most with plenty of shade. They have a good playground, which is used by the young kids during the day and the teens in the evenings as a gathering spot. You really need to make your reservations 11 months in advance, for this time of year, but I just made reservations last Friday for July and got the places that I wanted. Yay, me!

3. Edisto Beach SP. Is just north of Beafort by about 45 miles. It's just off of I-95 and is almost as nice as Hunting Island (I'm biased). If you can get a spot at the beach campground, it's great, but that's another 11 month thing.

4. There is always Myrtle Beach. In my opinion, it's crowded, dirty and definitely not worth my time to go, but millions of people go every year, so it's about to have something going for it.
__________________

__________________
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
abwatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 4
...We stay usually at state or national parks. Thanks and merry Christmas.

X2 on the Great Smokies NP. We did 5 nights in Smokemont CG just outside Cherokee NC in a 30 ft 5th whl. No problem in the cg. Just don't come through Maggie Valley shortcut on way in. Very tight, steep curves. CG has no elect or water at sites but is by a stream tucked between mts, lovely and pretty quiet in Aug when we went. Trailheads in cg & across rd. Elk nearby. Easy access to clingmans dome for great views. Lots of tourist stuff and several full svc cg in Cherokee.
__________________
Andrew & Barbara
and Milli Vanilli the travelling cat
Central PA
2013 Crusader 260RLD
2013 F250 PSD 6.7 V8 3.55 axle 4x4
Traded in 2009 GulfStream Vista Cruiser Mini 4230 (diesel)
abwatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by abwatters View Post
...We stay usually at state or national parks. Thanks and merry Christmas.

X2 on the Great Smokies NP. We did 5 nights in Smokemont CG just outside Cherokee NC in a 30 ft 5th whl. No problem in the cg. Just don't come through Maggie Valley shortcut on way in. Very tight, steep curves. CG has no elect or water at sites but is by a stream tucked between mts, lovely and pretty quiet in Aug when we went. Trailheads in cg & across rd. Elk nearby. Easy access to clingmans dome for great views. Lots of tourist stuff and several full svc cg in Cherokee.
We have stayed and have future reservations at Happy Holiday Campground in Cherokee. It had gone down hill in the past, but is regaining itself. New Splash Pad for kids, decent pool, 2 streams, very nice facilities. Most RV sites are full hookup and pull thru. They have a nice bluegrass festival in June, which is a lot of fun whether you think you like the music or not. I subjected my family to it for the first time last year, and they insisted we go back this year!
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
campfirefun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 176
Thanks for all the help. We have our trip all set. Making sort of a circle. A skinny circle From michigan to South Carolina and staying at edisto state park. We did not get a beach side spot but reviews I found sound like the whole park is nice. We stay there four days and work towards the smokey mountains to and will be staying a fee days at elkmont near gatlinburg, tn in the national park. Doing a little rustic camping there. Now June just needs to arrive and the dang 20 inches of snow needs to go away
__________________
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Twin Rivers State Park. Not right on the river but close. All new Campground facilities. Sites large and level but not much privacy between sites. Stone Mtn. State Park. Lots of trails, streams for fishing. Both in Eastern part of state. Good luck .
__________________
Transplanted Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfirefun View Post
We asked the kids where next summers trip should be and they came up with the Carolina's. Never been there. We have pulled the rockwood 8316 out west and to Maine and many spots in between. We love to hike and be outdoors when we go places. Coming from michigan and having usually 10-15 days for our trips where should we aim the trailer if the "Carolina's" are the destination. We stay usually at state or national parks. Thanks and merry Christmas

Devil's Fork State Park, Salem, SC: we live in Greenville, SC (the north western part of the state) and this park is about an hour and a half drive for us. The park surrounds Lake Jocassee, the cleanest, most beautiful lake I have EVER seen! It's so clean and clear to almost 50 ft, it's a huge favorite with divers. Duke Electric bought out and flooded a huge valley, so folks love to dive down to all the an old hotel that's still pretty much intact down there. The lake is 500 ft deep in the deepest parts, but very few boats so perfect for kayaks...and much safer. Great fishing (especially for blue gill, trout, and bass). Tons of little coves to explore with over a dozen waterfalls. Lots of hiking trails within an easy walk of the campgrounds. And it's inexpensive, like $19-23 a night.

Hiking: an easy drive to Table Rock, a massive park with the most beautiful mountain and great trails within 15-20 minutes. Jocassee Gorge Park is 30 minutes away, with a totally green brand new Ranger Station with a fantastic learning center for the kids...a must see!

Kayaking: if you don't have your own boats, there's a little shop within minutes of the entrance, great folks. They'll bring your kayaks and meet you at on of two boat ramps and then come pick up at an agreed time.

There are several bath houses within an easy walk of any spot, very clean and kept up.

I can't even describe how beautiful this place is...you're in the mountains so hot during the day, cool at night, perfect for camp fires and leaving the windows open. Always a cool breeze with the smell of mountain laurel...crazy how sweet it always smells up there...wish I could bottle that scent!

But google Lake Jocassee, I'm sure you can find some pics online. It really is a paradise!

We also have space reserved at Mile Creek and South Cove County Park, haven't been to either yet. Really excited about South Cove...it's on Lake Keowee on a peninsula...but the road in is so narrow, it's more like an island! They have tennis courts, walking & biking trails...looks like a great spot.

Hope this helps!

Michael & Dawn
__________________
theayers128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
We have stayed and have future reservations at Happy Holiday Campground in Cherokee. It had gone down hill in the past, but is regaining itself. New Splash Pad for kids, decent pool, 2 streams, very nice facilities. Most RV sites are full hookup and pull thru. They have a nice bluegrass festival in June, which is a lot of fun whether you think you like the music or not. I subjected my family to it for the first time last year, and they insisted we go back this year!

We just stayed at Harrah's casino in Cherokee so popped in a few of the campgrounds on the way to check them out. Some of them looked downright scary, but thought Happy Holidays looked pretty nice. I did get sticker shock when I walked in the office though...$49 and up a night?! Jeez! Most of the campsites were really narrow, you could spit on the trailer next to you. Most of the sites didn't have a concrete pad either, so if they'd had recent rain, I'm guessing it'd get pretty muddy. I thought being near the creek would be nice so we could fish, but then I saw the added daily fees for fishing in the creek...holy crap!

So I just wasn't sold on that place...has it always been that expensive?!
__________________
theayers128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #19
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
If they are interested in NASCAR, Charlotte/Concord, NC is a good place to visit. NASCAR Hall of fame, Rick Hendrik shops are open to the public about a mile from the track. Monstrous shopping mall, restaurants, etc just about 3 miles west of the track.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by theayers128 View Post
We just stayed at Harrah's casino in Cherokee so popped in a few of the campgrounds on the way to check them out. Some of them looked downright scary, but thought Happy Holidays looked pretty nice. I did get sticker shock when I walked in the office though...$49 and up a night?! Jeez! Most of the campsites were really narrow, you could spit on the trailer next to you. Most of the sites didn't have a concrete pad either, so if they'd had recent rain, I'm guessing it'd get pretty muddy. I thought being near the creek would be nice so we could fish, but then I saw the added daily fees for fishing in the creek...holy crap!

So I just wasn't sold on that place...has it always been that expensive?!
The problem is that it's still inside the reservation and the tribal council controls everything. It has gone up in recent years, but they are making some big improvements. We only camp there one week a year, and have a good time. You can enjoy the park without having to fight the crowds of PF or Gat.
__________________

__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.