Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

Central PA to Asheville, NC

I'm hoping someone on here has experience with the two routes i'm considering below. Any help is appreciated.

Going to take our first long distance trip with the TT this summer. Looking to take the family from Central PA to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC.

I have two routes that I'm looking at but wanted some input as to which would be the best route to take for my TV. Trying to keep the steep elevation changes to a minimum.

Route #1 is taking I-81 to Blacksburg, VA, then down I-77 to Statesville... then 40 over to Asheville. This seems like the most efficient route to take that would be easiest on my vehicle.

Route #2 would be I-81 to Kingsport then Rt 26 down to Asheville. This route is only about 15 minutes faster, but seems to have a ton more elevation changes.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Always Learning

My experience was driving to Lenoir, NC and never towed it. We would do route #1 but it made more sense for where we were going.

I'd bet given the elevation changes, you wouldn't see a big difference in speed for Route #2. I wouldn't worry about them too much given that you're on a highway- it's not like it is going to be a twisty little road. From looking at Google Maps and the aerial view- it looks like a majority of it is in a valley with the last 10-15 miles being pretty hilly.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #3

With your TT being only 24ft long, you may want to consider I-81 to the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA. It's a gorgeous run and you should have no problems navigating the turns and tunnels. There a quite a few campgrounds on the parkway so RV traffic is common. We were en route with our fiver last summer from Gatlinburg TN to Myrtle Beach with a stop at the Biltmore. We were disappointed we didn't leave enough time to see it because it requires 6-8 hrs to get your money worth. There IS a lot to see. Enjoy and consider the Blue Ridge.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #4

The BlueRidge is really beautiful, that said - it also has very steep grades much more than a US Interstate highway. If that is your concern, I would not take the BlueRidge Pkwy. If not a major deal breaker, then by all means use the BR PKWY as it is unprecedented in its travel and scenic vistas. It is also very long, more than a day or two depending on where you get on it. If you are going, use the ENTIRE thing and start in Front Royal, VA and via the Skyline Drive through VA to get to BR PWKY. They come together in Waynesboro VA. Not much to see on I-81.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

I like Route#2 best. Although everyone should checkout the Blue Ridge parkway and Skyline drive if they have the chance, i personally wouldnt want to haul my camper down it at 35MPH/45MPH.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #6

Thanks guys. I have driven Skyline and it was awesome. Wouldn't do it with my camper, however.
I'm strictly looking at what the easiest route to take as far as steep elevation changes and turns. There's an area here near State College, PA (the hill is outside of Lewistown) that is pretty steep. I don't mind doing a couple of those, but wouldn't want to put my TV through that for a 100 miles. Someone did mention on here that that particular grade was well known by truck drivers to be exceptionally steep.

I'm thinking I'll stick to route 1.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #7

We traveled the entire skyline drive and blue ridge pulling our camper. We didn't have a bit of problems with either. Amazing scenery on both roads. It was definitely slower than 81... But much better trip then the highways!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2014 Nights Camped: 15
ld_engnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
I'm hoping someone on here has experience with the two routes i'm considering below. Any help is appreciated.

Going to take our first long distance trip with the TT this summer. Looking to take the family from Central PA to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC.

I have two routes that I'm looking at but wanted some input as to which would be the best route to take for my TV. Trying to keep the steep elevation changes to a minimum.

Route #1 is taking I-81 to Blacksburg, VA, then down I-77 to Statesville... then 40 over to Asheville. This seems like the most efficient route to take that would be easiest on my vehicle.

Route #2 would be I-81 to Kingsport then Rt 26 down to Asheville. This route is only about 15 minutes faster, but seems to have a ton more elevation changes.

What do you guys think?
Not too sure of what it's like on I-81 to Kingsport, but I-26 from Kingsport to Asheville should be a breeze and it's beautiful. The hills aren't bad, traffic is low and it's good road. From Statesville to Asheville on I-40 you'll have to climb Black Mountain Grade. I'd say either route is doable if you have confidence in your tow vehicle. But do a little research on The Black Mountain grade on I-40 before you make your mind up. Lots of traffic on I-40, I usually try to avoid it at all costs, locally.
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #9

Thanks guys... I'll check it out!