Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Charleston SC

Anyone have a favorite campground in the Charleston SC area? Don't really need a mega RV resort, just a good quiet place close to the old section.
Thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Skippy View Post
Anyone have a favorite campground in the Charleston SC area? Don't really need a mega RV resort, just a good quiet place close to the old section.
Thanks
James Island County Park, about 10 minutes from downtown Charleston. Beautiful, quiet setting.

2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Thanks

spent 10 days here Charleston County Parks and Recreation - Campground & Cottages at Spring Break 2013. Great place to stay. It is a 'Good Sams' campground if you are a member.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #4

I'll second the campground at James Island County Park. It's one of our favorites.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #5

I was just looking at the James Island Park. Wife and I have been to Charleston probably 100 times but always stayed down near the Market. But now that we have a camper why drop couple hundred $$ a night? More more money to spend on shrimp and grits! Thanks guys.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #6

Quote:
I was just looking at the James Island Park. Wife and I have been to Charleston probably 100 times but always stayed down near the Market. But now that we have a camper why drop couple hundred $$ a night? More more money to spend on shrimp and grits! Thanks guys.
Speaking of shrimp and grits.... We stayed at James Island County Park this summer. What a nice park!! Went into Charleston to a restaurant named S.N.O.B. (Slightly North of Broad) and had the best S&G. Give them a try..

Also, the park won't disappoint.. One of the nicest campgrounds we have stayed..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #7

Yes, SNOB's has terrific food. Guess I'll be calling James Island today.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #8

Forest River is having a Rally at James Island Park this November. We are registered, looking forward to it.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Yes, SNOB's has terrific food. Guess I'll be calling James Island today.
IF you are planning on staying several days at St. James Park, Call 'Good Sams' first and ask them about their one year membership and 'get a night free' at a Good Sams park. The Member ship I think was 25.00 and you get a coupon for one nigh 'free' (25.00). St. James Park will give you 10% off for being a Good Sams member and keep your receipt and send it in to 'Good Sams' with the coupon and they will send you a check for 25.00. (At least that was the 'deal' I got, worth asking)

Old 08-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #10

Take the JI Campground Bus and enjoy Chas.Town without the parking hassel. Hymans for the (Best) Shrimp & Grits! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Take the JI Campground Bus and enjoy Chas.Town without the parking hassel. Hymans for the (Best) Shrimp & Grits! Youroo!!
X2 on Hymans! Being from Charleston, I have to agree with the Bus. Downtown is very congested. Enjoy a true gem of the South!!!
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #12

When you think of Charleston you usually don't think of BBQ, but if in town Nick & Jim's on King Street near the College Of Charleston campus is a must. When you walk in and smell the smoke you'll think you've died and gone to Heaven. I thought my G'ma died several years ago but I accused the manager of having her in the back making home made pies. I'm 55 and grew up on BBQ. My G'pa and his brother who are long since dead made BBQ hash that the family still sells in South Carolina grocery stores. But I swear, Nick and Jim's is possibly the best I've ever had.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #13

But y'all are right, for pure seafood, Hyman's is tough to beat and good to eat!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post

"Hymans", good food, nice place. Had a huge 'laugh'. We waited outside for about an hour for a table. When we were seated and having drinks, the owner came by and he stopped at each and every table and talked to them, and us at our table. We were really not listening to other tables, so when he stopped at ours we seemed to have a nice conversation until he moved on. About 45 minutes later while we dug into the main course, the owner started his rounds around the room again and spoke to each table. We were all saying and thinking that this is really nice to greet his guests..... until he stopped at 'our' table. As with the first time he did almost all of the talking and what he said was Word for Exact word from what he said the first time that he was at our table..... He used the same rehearsed speech at every table every single time. Grade A for greeting his guests.... B- for using the same speech over and over. It was the big 'funny' for the day. Next time in Charleston. Hymans again.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #15

We stayed at James Island last fall and recommend it also! You have to try the RoofTop Bar, it's a great place to hang out, food is very good and the view of Charleston is great!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
If james island-----------------

If James Island is booked up, try "OAK PLANTATION" Rv park.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
When you think of Charleston you usually don't think of BBQ, but if in town Nick & Jim's on King Street near the College Of Charleston campus is a must. When you walk in and smell the smoke you'll think you've died and gone to Heaven. I thought my G'ma died several years ago but I accused the manager of having her in the back making home made pies. I'm 55 and grew up on BBQ. My G'pa and his brother who are long since dead made BBQ hash that the family still sells in South Carolina grocery stores. But I swear, Nick and Jim's is possibly the best I've ever had.
I recall a place in Summersville (it's on the way in to Charleston) called "Sticky Fingers". They offered a sampler with seven different kinds of BBQ. Don't know if they're still in business though, it's been several years since I was there.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #18

Well we went last week. And as all of you said, it was a great place to stay and relax. Met some new friends as well. It served as a great jumping off point for the restaurants and beach we wanted to hit. Only draw back was they were having some type of youth school event behind our space every day. Made it a little noisy in the evenings. But it will be on out "return to" list. Thanks y'all.

Tags
charleston