Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Which place would you spend 3 nights in a RV park?
Savannah GA 5 27.78%
Charleston SC 13 72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2019, 09:26 PM   #41

This is a new KOA notification I just received via email. It's located on Lake Marion near I-95, not Hwy 17, but it looks interesting.
About an hour west of Charleston.

https://koa.com/campgrounds/santee/?...on_SanteeLakes

We've stayed at James Island and found it very nice. The only place we've camped near Savannah other than Tybee Island is our driveway since we live in Savannah.

We like to visit Charleston and people who live in Charleston like to visit Savannah. Both are good in different ways.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:49 AM   #42

Camping choices

For Charleston,James Island County Park is the First choice. Skidaway in Savanah is Great.
bkauffman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #43

Both are great cities to visit and just breathe history/hospitality. In Savannah, I highly recommend going to the trolley tour HQ first and take the whole tour. Make notes of places you want to revisit. Your ticket is good for the day and you can hop on and off the trolleys to get you back to any particular place. Also, Lake Jasper Campground off of I-95 SC Exit 8 gives you the option of Charleston and Savannah. Enjoy!!!
Herdpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #44

Our good friends stayed at Creek Fire RV Resort off of I-95 in Savannah back in February and loved it. We have reservations there on the 13th of July. Looking forward to it.
dapennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #45

If you find yourself just strolling the Battery area, do not discount the back ally's. May see a cat or two.
Tommy Condons is a nice little pub, just off the market, and the only place in Charleston to get a Black and Tan.
Do not waste time looking for free parking downtown. Just pay the fees, park in the garages and enjoy. There is a nice little pay park at the market area. Free parking is nice of you can find it but most residential parking is by sticker. You will be ticketed.
Poughs Porch is a good place for lunch, shrimp and grits are great. Hyman's seafood is where we go for fish and shrimp at a reasonable price. Get a table over looking Meeting St. just ask.
Make your lunch and dinner times at the off hour as restaurants do get crowded.
Stroll the market and buy your charleston stuff.
If you are not too tired, take in the nightly ghost tour. You get to go places most folks do not see.
While walking downtown, be mindful of the Humpty Dumpty sidewalks. Easy to trip or turn an ankle.
Also, Patriots Point at Mount Pleasent and the Huntley in North Charleston. Very interesting.
Enjoy your Charleston visit.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I have been to both cities. But, if I had to choose between them and I had too choose just one, it would be Charleston SC. Why? I think the city is cleaner and there is more things to do and see in Charleston SC. You can visit the USS Yorktown,USS Laffey DD-724 and the USS Clamagore SS-343 plus other exhibits at Patriots Point. There is also Fort Sumter to visit plus the old slave market down town. With a carriage ride of the old town of Charleston the history of the town is explained along with what transpires at Battery park at the start of the civil war.

Cuisine is excellent in both cities but with the old southern charm is more apparent in Charleston SC.

We stay at St James Island campground and drove into the city daily. One of the finest county parks I have every stayed in. We had full hook-ups, 50amps and a very long pull thru site.

Great advice. Take the Greyline tours.
ER17453361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #47
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapennington View Post
Our good friends stayed at Creek Fire RV Resort off of I-95 in Savannah back in February and loved it. We have reservations there on the 13th of July. Looking forward to it.
We have reservations there for Thanksgiving as they furnish a dinner for the campers. Just bring a side dish. We toured the cg last Nov while we where staying on Tybee Island. BTW cg on Tybee does Thanksgiving also. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
OK my friends I need your assistance in deciding where to stop on the east coast on my way back to Arizona.
I will be visiting the east coast in Sept and Oct and I will be in Myrtle Beach for a few days then heading south to Jacksonville Florida to the Navy base there.

I probably will use Route 17 from Myrtle Beach south to this area.

The question I need answering is two fold.
1. Would I enjoy stopping in Charleston SC or Savannah Ga. for 3 nights.
Seafood and southern dishes will be a key factor.

2. Then the second part of the question is what is a good or even great private RV park I can enjoy my sweetened Ice Tea?

Thank you my friends.
Anyone care to join in?
DW and I just got back from a trip to both Charleston SC and Savannah GA. Both were nice. DW likes Charleston best.

If you are looking for a day trip from either of those cities we also visited Beaufort, SC. It is a smaller town, but has some of the same old houses and mossy oaks you see in Charleston and Savannah. Link for info on Beaufort below.

Visit Historic Beaufort SC, Port Royal & The Sea Islands Today

DW liked all three cities.

We stayed for 4 nights in a campground central to all 3 cities. We didn't really care for the campground so I won't recommend it to you.

Have a great trip !
5.3 V8, 3:73 Rear, Tow Package

JKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCamper View Post
Thanks JK for the information. It is now in the book.
So far we are looking forward to good weather and a Carriage ride downtown Charleston.

It sounds like $75 for two is the going price for a nice ride.
Anyone have some suggestions on who to ride with or prices?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Ask F.R.O.G. Bob... The company he uses during the Festival of Lights Rally is very good...
Old 05-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #51

Quote:
Thanks JK for the information. It is now in the book.
So far we are looking forward to good weather and a Carriage ride downtown Charleston.

It sounds like $75 a head is the going price for a nice ride.
We took a tour with Palmetto carriage. I believe it was about $30 a person. I don't know if they are better or worse than other tours, but the one thing that surprised me was that we only toured a section of the city. When we left for the tour they stopped at a corner and a person (from the city government I assume) pulled a ping pong ball out of a lottery type machine and that determined what part of the city we toured. Maybe we should have taken a more expensive tour. lol

It was $18 to park in their parking lot for the entire day. After the carriage tour we walked to a nearby city market that had all types of vendors selling things.

There is a free city bus, the DASH, that runs all throughout the downtown.

https://freetoursbyfoot.com/free-pub...-dash-trolley/

We took the DASH down to the waterfront area and the battery and some other sections. There are some really nice houses near the battery area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battery_(Charleston)

I'm sure there are a million other things to do there that we missed, but hope these suggestions help.
5.3 V8, 3:73 Rear, Tow Package

JKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Ask F.R.O.G. Bob... The company he uses during the Festival of Lights Rally is very good...

Thanks Red I just sent them an email asking for info.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charleston