Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

Charlotte area over nighter

We are headed to Myrtle Beach in 3 weeks. Wife doesn't want to haul the 13 hours straight through. I'm ok with splitting the haul into 2 days. So we are looking for suggestions for an overnight stay in the Charlotte area. Either north or south. I mentioned a walmart lot, but we aren't setup for boondocking and I want the AC to work. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We stayed at the Fort mill koala when we were visiting charlotte. Nothing really there, not much to look at, just so.e gravel fhu and w/e hook up sites. A decent pool and a safe place to get off the road.

Here is a link to a thread I started when we were going g to Charlotte. Lots of campground suggestions there for you. Have fun in myrtle beAch.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like you might be going through Greensboro. There is a cg right off of 40 in Greensboro but it is literally right on the highway, might be a bit noisy. If you are a coast to coast member, sycamore lodge is just off of 220 and is very beautiful and peaceful. A little out of your way in mebane nc is a brand new cg 10 min from me. There is also Hagan stone park (stay in the field not down in the woods) in the burlington/Greensboro area. Hope all of these help.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Tom Johnson Camper Sales has overnight full hook ups a mile from I-85. It 's on Bruton Smith Blvd and is about 1/8 mile west of Lowes Speedway.

Rick Hendrik complex is only about a mile away and is open to visitors and is very interesting if you're into NASCAR.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. We will be headed down I-77, looked around the Statesville area, and north of Charlston, that will put me around 7-8 hour drive for day 1. Does camping world do overnights?
Old 05-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
Thanks for the info. We will be headed down I-77, looked around the Statesville area, and north of Charlston, that will put me around 7-8 hour drive for day 1. Does camping world do overnights?
Don't think so, but you can call them to make sure.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #7

Bunch of us were talking about "RV Park Reviews" on another thread a few weeks ago. I just did a search for the Charlotte area and appears to quite a few campgrounds in the area. I'd say pinpoint your the general location you that will put you at the 8-9 hour mark and search for a town nearby on this sight. Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
Bunch of us were talking about "RV Park Reviews" on another thread a few weeks ago. I just did a search for the Charlotte area and appears to quite a few campgrounds in the area. I'd say pinpoint your the general location you that will put you at the 8-9 hour mark and search for a town nearby on this sight. Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews
Sr moment and multi-tasking too...." I'd say pinpoint your the general location you that will put you at the 8-9 hour mark and search for a town nearby on this sight." I'd say pinpoint the general location that will be your 8-9 hour mark and search a town nearby on this sight.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
We are headed to Myrtle Beach in 3 weeks. Wife doesn't want to haul the 13 hours straight through. I'm ok with splitting the haul into 2 days. So we are looking for suggestions for an overnight stay in the Charlotte area. Either north or south. I mentioned a walmart lot, but we aren't setup for boondocking and I want the AC to work. Thanks in advance.
Not sure exactly where your located in Ohio, but I'm guessing Wytheville, VA would be a little over halfway for you. When we lived in No. WV, we always stopped at the Ft. Chiswell RV Park near there. Nice park, mostly pull-thrus, easy in-easy out for about $30 a night. That left about 6 hrs driving on day 2.

Also, I not sure why you would go through Charlotte. I found that going by Greensboro, NC via I74 and 220 cuts miles and time.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:

Where are you coming from? I live in Greenville, SC, about an hour and a half south of Charlotte. If you are heading to Myrtle Beach, you may want to look into staying a night at one of our beautiful state parks instead. If you're traveling during the week, it shouldn't be a problem getting last minute RV space. Check out Devil's Fork State Park in Salem, SC, Mile Creek Park, or South Cove County Park. Devil's Fork is our favorite, RV Space 38, 39, 41 are the best with beautiful water views. Lake Jocassee is the cleanest lake ever, clear to like 30-50 ft. But warning...you may not want to continue on to MB!

That lake is a kayaker's paradise...not a lot of boats, great swimming/fishing. If you don't gave kayaks, you can rent them from the little store around the corner from the entrance of the park. They'll even bring them and meet you at the boat ramp and then come back & pick them up at whatever time you agree upon.

All the above parks have 30 amp power, water, free dump station. The camp site is pretty darn big, with a large concrete pad for both picnic table & tent pad and a good size fire pit. We have a 31ft travel trailer and had more than enough room. Spaces are a good distance wide so great privacy. Tons of trees so you're completely shaded, easy on the AC. You're in the mountains, so cool breeze at night with the amazing scent of mountain laurel....love it!

Michael & Dawn
theayers128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #11

The travel plan was 77s to Columbia, 20e to 501 into Myrtle. This is a route my friends have traveled and no small roads and things to worry about. We have a 43' 5er so height and length was considered in this route. GPS tries to route back roads and 2 lane country roads which I'm trying to avoid. Trying to stay interstate so I don't have to worry so much about bridge heights and easy fuel ups at truck stops.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #12

I towed a 39' 5ver on the route I'm talking about. It is all Interstate to Rockingham, NC and then there is about 20 mi of 2 lane, but it's good road. The rest of the way to MB is 4 lane. I have gone both ways and it cuts at least an hr off the trip. If you're interested, go to Google maps and plug in your destination. By the way, there's a truck stop in Rockingham.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Chewie, I would just pull in front of OldCoot's house and stretch a cord up to his garage, tap into his spigot for water, then run a stinky slinky to the storm sewer, Griswold style!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #14

Charlotte area over nighter

Lol. "Sh**ers full."
Old 05-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Lol. "Sh**ers full."

Exactly!!!!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Lol. "Sh**ers full."
No problem, just dump it in the storm drain like cousin Eddie.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Chewie, I would just pull in front of OldCoot's house and stretch a cord up to his garage, tap into his spigot for water, then run a stinky slinky to the storm sewer, Griswold style!
We just run it in the ditch by the highway or out on the ground. No neighbors to gripe about it and it's no worse than the dogs and other animals dumping on the yard. Dries up is a day or two.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #18

If there is no luck with Camping World, come down just a little further there is the Statesville KOA. Never stayed there but its visible from 77
n4uaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Stay at the OLD COOTS place on the way just past Charlotte. He has a huge front yard. Frankie loves company. best CG in the area.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #20

FYI/ Statesville area BAD roads SLOW down. Want to feel beat up try 55mph and you will.
Wytheville, VA cheep gas. W.Va. HIGH gas.
I head the same way and w/ Passport America CG I get my money back just on the way south.
From the Ohio river to Wytheville is 4 hours.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote