Old 07-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Charlottesville, VA Campgrounds

I am looking for recent personal reviews of campgrounds in the Charlottesville, VA. DW and I are planning to go for 2 weeks in October to check the area out as that is on our list of potential retirement locations.

I looked at Misty Mountain but they are full so the other choices are the KOA and Heavenly Acres. Looking at Google Earth, Heavenly Acres does not show up. Image is from 1994 and Heavenly Acres website seems to indicate they started in 1995.

Also anyone living in the Charlottesville area I wouldn't mind hearing from you via PM on what its like living there.

Thank you all in advance.

2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ Z71 Extended Cab, Long bed
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
(with K&N Air Intake) (traded)
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #2
We stayed at Heavenly Acres 2 years ago. Up until last year we were tent campers and we opted to not drag all of our camping equipment with us since we were also headed to the beach. So we stayed in one of their 'deluxe' cabins.

The location of the campground is nice and scenic. There is so much potential. We wanted to be in proximity to the national park as well as Charlottesville.

We were not happy with the campground. A lot of that had to do with the condition of the cabin as well as the lack of amenities. Things could have changed since then. But in 2014 there were no laundry facilities and the camp store/office was dismal. Appeared to be a one man show. The only good thing about the cabin was the bathroom/availability of hot water. Everything else was sub-par. We did not check out the bathroom facilities beyond our cabin but from the outside it looked rough.

If it was me I would go to the KOA. Have stayed at many and have never had an issue.

Hope that helps.

Mrs Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
We always stay at Meadows of Dan CG right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Very nice little mom and pop type CG with a small village just across the parkway. The CG is small with both shaded and full sun sites. Take your pick. Don't let the entrance fool you as the road by the office has two potholes that are hard to navigate, but the road from that point on is good.
They have a farmer's market there in Meadows of Dan that is second to none and a little country restaurant named "Jane's" where you can get the best biscuits you ever ate. We always buy several and freeze them to eat later.
Meadows of Dan is just north of Fancy Gap and a few miles into VA. just below Mabry Mills on the PW.
Been there three times and simply love the place. Also, there is gas/diesel at the farmer's market. The best mercantile store I've ever been in. Lots of junk AND lots of good, unique stuff.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Tuned
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
We camped at the KOA in Charlottesville a few months ago. Its small and has level sites. wifi is good. That time of year is going to be tough, lots of people. There are wine tours, and local orchards selling their wares. Not to mention if UVA has a home game then it will be packed. Beautiful area . looking for land there myself. Good luck in your search, you may have to camp in Shenandoah valley. Not to far away from Charlottesville, just across Afton Mountain ( nice area also ).
Chuck " still in Va "
2012 3065w Windjammer
2012 f250 lariat Crew cab power stroke (of course )
Charles Firth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:00 AM   #5
Thank you all for replying. I ended up booking 2 weeks in mid-Oct at Heavenly Acres. I did this for several reasons.

Misty Mountain had no vacancy and the KOA was almost $150 more. I also read a number positive reviews for Heavenly on Trip Advisor and others.

I will report back on my experience at Heavenly Acres.
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ Z71 Extended Cab, Long bed
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
(with K&N Air Intake) (traded)
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
Just Love to Camp
Hate to hear that Misty Mountain was full that is our favorite. Sounds like you have something booked next time check out on the other side of the mountain there are several campgrounds in augusta county that are decent. Happy Camping. From Augusta County VA
Camped 54 Night 2012
XLR Thunderbolt 386*12
"Bertha The LeadSled" is her name

2012 F450
TheFordes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
For future reference:

Search results for "Charlottesville" - RV Park Reviews

2016 Forester 2401R
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote