Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #21

Great Report Sid.
11 days to get home to Florida? I'm sure you can make it.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Camden, ME today

Wife wanted to start early (afraid she will miss something) , But had to do some laundry and the fog can be cut with a knife this morning. Supposed to be a front move in this afternoon, cool weather will fall to 38° tomorrow night. The heating system works great in the Rockwood. Engineering got it right when designed.

We love our Rockwood.

Will do the tourist thing today in Camden & Rockland, Me. D/W says it may take three days ??? Heaven only knows what she means by that?

Until later

Sid, D/W & HRH Daisy
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:33 AM   #23

Going South---------

Left Camden, Maine for a southern route to the sunshine state, stopping in Portland, ME for three days to view all the sights, museums, lighthouses.
On Monday the 19Th it was time to move to York, ME, stopping at the "STONEWALL KITCHEN" (you ladies will know who they are). It is amazing how much of my $$$$ they can fit into the small shopping bags. The jellies and jams will be enjoyed later at home in Florida.

Moved after just three hours at the "STONEWALL KITCHEN" to Sturbridge, MA to the "Jellystone" RV park. We can't seem to outrun the national bird of P.E.I., the mosquitoes. Read in the USA today why the bugs are so bad. A bumper crop from all of the water and rain from Irene.

Continued our trip across CONN, made sure I had gassed up in MA before entering the good state of high gas prices of Conn. I-84 was rush hour through Hartford of going to work souls. Our next stop was just inside PA
at the first exit to buy cheap gas at $3.55 per gal. Took HWY 209 down through the Delaware Water Gap NP to Allentown to pick up I-78 W. Made a stop at exit #40 to a local meat market run by a nice German family just off the interstate. Bought a hickory smoked ham, four pounds of hickory smoked bacon. Made it all fit into the reefer, OHHHHHH, that smell of good hickory smoke. D/W tried to purchase all of their smoked cheese. And I thought we were trying to eat healthy???? Rained just about all the way from Sturbridge to just west of Allentown, PA.

I-78 is a truckers highway, lots of trucks going east & west. Passed through Harrisburg, picking up I-81 south to just south of Harrisburg, PA
to gas up at $3.41 per gal. Bent the rear doorsteps pulling into the gas pumps on a steep incline. Crap any dummy can do that!!!!! Stopped at the RV park of (I believe) "WESTERN RV PARK", Too tired to remember??
Also noticed a clicking noise in the front disk brake area of the truck when turning sharp. Will investigate in the morning, hope it is nothing serious.

So far all the good stuff in this great "ROCKWOOD" has performed as designed. A lot of rough roads have been traveled since leaving Florida on the 27Th of August with nearly 6000 miles covered.

I did actually find and by mistake push the "POTHOLE ROAD" selection on my GPS. I can tell you, the "POTHOLE SELECTION" really works. Just ask me? It really works super on P.E.I. !! I Will have to contact "MAGELLAN" about that feature of selection The state of CONN on I-84 has their own button selection on my GPS for "SUPER POTHOLES", WOW! D/W, says she will need to replace several fillings in her teeth from all the jarring of the rough roads

Until later

Sid, D/W & HRH Daisy
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 09-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #24

Still on the road---South.

Made it all the way to Rocky Mount, NC before stopping for the night. Rained pretty hard during the night (made good sleeping). Still can't outrun the national bird, they were pretty bad at the Rocky Mount stop.

Rained slightly on the way south through NC, SC. Ran up on a problem on the road about 17 miles before the SC border. A big motor home towing a
RAV4, was moving very slow on the right side of I-95 with his winky blinky on. there was a Toyota car in front that was all over the highway. Traffic was very heavy, the car would slow down to 35MPH then speed back up to 55-65MPH, would move half way to the passing lane then back to the right lane. 911 to the local high sheriff dispatcher. Took from mile marker 18 to mile marker 2 to get the car pulled over. END OF PROBLEM !!
I have never reported a problem on the road in my life by 911. This was one time that it was necessary for traffic was backed up as far as I could see behind me. Seems I was the only one that took the time to report the problem.

Stopped at the Savanna exit for the night at the Savanna Oaks RV resort. We are about 138 miles from home. has been a very long day, tanks need to be drained and flushed anyway. This will be our last stop
on our trip that will have covered 6827 miles, passed through TWELVE states, three Canadian provinces, which include Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia. What a great trip. I would do it all again in a heart beat, But that will be another story for I have to get ready to have both knees replaced on NOV 5 & 9th. By the time I get rehab completed, the planning for the west coast next spring is to start to visit
California, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Louisiana, guess I will have pass through New Mexico also.

D/W makes all the stop plans to visit historic places and places to spend my $$$$$

I still have to praise the Rockwood, Our home away from home was a great choice for the RV purchase. So far no problems. I did bend the rear steps on a deep, steep drive at a gas station. Corrected that today by using brute force to bend the steps back into place (well almost, but close enough). I discovered a misplaced plastic skirt on the right rear side
just behind the rear bumper. Seems to have pulled down somehow from
under neath the trim that goes across the rear just behind the bumper. Was
able to push it back into its place.

Our Boykin Spaniel Daisy has taught us the Boykin nease language, says she will be glad to get back home

Until later

Sid, D/W & HRH, Daisy
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 09-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #25

Arrived back in Florida-----------

We arrived back in Jacksonville, FL on 23 Sept. was sort of glad to get home after all the driving. I think I posted somewhere we had covered 6800 plus miles. Well my mistake, for it was 6008 miles covered. Most of the mileage was 4200 round trip. The rest was sightseeing. The Canadian Provinces are a beautiful place. Great campgrounds and RV parks just about any place you go. Nice clean, large parking spots and lots of friendly people. We made new friends everywhere we stopped.

Got the rear steps straightened out, used a little brute force and strong language, washed the "ROCKY" all on the outside. had to wash & clean the front cap four times before all the bugs were removed. Cleaned most of the pine rosin from my truck, and roof of the 5 VER. Had to use TURPENTINE spirits to remove the most stubborn tree sap.

After shortly starting on our trip I noticed a popping noise in the left front of my F-150 when I was moving slowly and in a sharp turn. Then the noise appeared in the right front. At first I thought it was the new Michelin tires rubbing the wheel well. When I purchased the F-150, I also purchased an extended warranty. Took it to the shop Wednesday, Found both left and right wheel bearings were bad. Cost a $50.00 deductible. After reading on the Internet about 2004,05,06,07 F-150 trucks are bad about the wheel bearings go bad at about 62000 miles. Also, under the warranty the front brake rotors were replaced also.

I have yet to jack up the right front wheel on Rocky to check why grease ran out of the bearing hub and down on the rim on the trip. I do believe it is where I had the problem with the grease fitting not taking grease after I first purchased the 8285WS. The grease that was put into the bearing did not have a high dropping point as was used in the other bearings. Will check that problem before next trip. Have not cleaned inside of Rocky yet, D/W did clean the bathroom and bedroom, all sheets, pillow cases, towels have been cleaned & put back into the closet shelves for the next trip.

The heat here in Florida was in the mid 90's yesterday but is suppose to cool off this next week. That is one thing we miss from our trip, nice cool weather at night and very enjoyable during the day.

Don't you "SNOWBIRDS" worry there will be plenty of sunshine and hot weather for your arrival for the winter. I can guarantee you a nice suntan!
We even have a bumper crop of the Canada's national bird, the mosquitoes. By the time you get to Florida for your winter stay, they will be giving gasoline away, I just bought gas today for $3.24 per gal.

Again, We have to praise our ROCKWOOD for it's performace. The only change that I have planned, is to replace the frosted glass in the two doors with a tinted tempered glass. It is on order from a local glass place @ $14.55 per door (not bad huh?) If anyone is interested, the dimension of the glass is 12 3/8" X 21 1/2" X 1/8" thick. At least we can see who is standing on the ground, knocking on the door.

PICTURE #1 is GREEN GABLES NP
#2 is WELCOME TO NS
#3 is LUNENENBURG, NS
#4 is "PEGGY'S COVE", NS
(UNBELIEVEABLE)
#5 is "SURE GROW THEM BIG !"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NOVA SCOTIA 040.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	8248   Click image for larger version