Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #1

Cherryhill MD

Has anyone ever been there? Thinking if a Columbus day weekend trip any thoughts.
joewbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Yes we've stayed there a couple times. There's bus service right at the office to DC so you don't necessarily have to drive into DC. The park is very nice, but you are close to Rte 495, Capital Beltway, so you can hear traffic but it's not too bad. We live within an hour to the park so we have gone there for a weekend from time to time.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #3

Thanks just lookng for weekend getaway no kids this trip its about 5 hr drive for us. Any other place you recommend that also has access to DC
Old 08-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #4

I've been there twice. I had a popup at the the time. A bit expensive, but what can you expect close to DC. If you have a vehicle (no motorhome), you can drive down the beltway a mile or two to the Metro station. You can ride the Metro into DC all day for about $5 after 9:30am. I believe the campground will also take you to the Metro station.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #5

Thanks
Old 08-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #6

FROG has hosted a trip there twice. We went on the first one. Great place to stay, with very easy access to DC. Recommend!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #7

Awesome thanks
Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #8

We went there this spring on the frog trip. Very nice campground, staff is very knowledgeable about all attractions you want to see. The bus leaves the park to take you to the rail but goes past Maryland university so we drove 1 exit up and caught the rail instead.
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
Always Learning

None of the other options are so convenient to public transit. And really- thats the only decent way to get into the city. I hate driving in DC.

The other campgrounds are- Kapitol KOA in Millersville, MD (I think). Duncan Family Campground somewhere south of DC. There is the Greenbelt National Park- cheap, not crowded but limited hookups. Otherwise, you could go into northern Virginia to Bull Run Regional Park in Centreville. You'd have to drive to Vienna to catch the metro after 10:00am when the reserved lot opens up (expect an hour's commute into the city). Or, about 40-50 minutes north (and then take the Metro from Silver Spring or Greenbelt) you could go to Ramblin' Pines in Woodbine, MD.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #10

We stayed there in June of this year. Very convenient to DC via the metro. (We took the bus from the park to the GreenBelt metro station. You could drive, but we liked not having to worry about our vehicle.) As others mentioned depending on your site location it can be a little loud from the beltway road noise. They were very accommodating to us when we said we wanted a quite area away from kids, playgrounds, and bath houses. A little expensive, but I think you get what you pay for there.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
Always Learning

I'll also mention- if you drive to the the Greenbelt metro stop, it's parking lot is HUGE. I think I measured 1/4-1/2 mile when I parked there one time for work. I'd rather drive around the beltway to New Carrollton than to park at Greenbelt. Well, that and it's more convenient for my destination to be on the orange line vs. green.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #12

IMHO, if you are planning to visit DC; Cherry Hill is the only place to stay! It is the most convenient and closest park to DC. The staff are most helpful and knowledgeable about the area. They give a daily presentation on how to use the Metro system and sell subway passes at the bus stop. The sites and facilities are also very nice. You can find a cheaper CG but not a better one in the area.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #13

We stayed there a few years ago...nice place but sites were right on top of each other and VERY tight. When I opened my awning, it almost touched the neighbors rig and I had a hard time leveling due to a very sharp drop off at the back of my site. I'd look for another place if you want some breathing room.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #14

Thanks for the heads up everyone. Love the forum.