Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #1

Columbus Day Weekend | Maine

Thinking about heading to the Southern Maine area over Columbus Day weekend. Never been to the area and looking for campground suggestions for a 38' motorhome.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #2

Please note that Columbus day is on October 13 this year and many of the RV parks in New England close by the end of September. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
want a Cat 293REX

depending on what you want to do, the majority that we have been to close Oct 15, what do you want to do? the Maine coast will be chilly - maybe inland? The Kancamagus Highway will be crowded but pretty - Danforth Bay is really nice, Route 153 in East Madison, NH. Down the coast, Hampton Beach is nice, state park, few sites tho, Salisbury State Park is nice too.
boatless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #4

That is true. Many campgrounds along the coast close up labor day weekend. I too am looking to head to Maine or NH this Columbus Day Weekend.

I just need to make sure I have a trailer before I book anything. lol.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #5

I think we are going to target the lower coast area. While some the places I have seen open require a three day stay. Since we have the coach we will just swing it and worst have to crash in a wally world for the evening.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #6

Check out Bailey's Campground. I go every Columbus Day weekend. It is very big and halloween themed. Many sites dress up their area, hay rides, trick or treating. Very clean, Great place!!

Ill post some pictures later today for you.
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #7

Here are a few pictures of Bailey's Halloween weekend (Columbus weekend) from last year. It does require a Friday - Monday (3 night stay) charge. It is about 5-7 minutes from Old Orchard Beach in Scarborough, ME.

Bayley's Camping Resort - 2014 Specials
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
RBR

We stayed in Wells Me at Wells Beach Resort Campground. Very nice clean campground. One mile from the ocean and many things to do in the area. I believe they are open till 10-15-14

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #9

Maine for the foilage

Earl,
We are seasonal just 1/2 mile to beach along Rt 1 in Wells,ME. It's a great area because there's a lot to do. The trollys' will run from Wells either to Kennebunkport or Ogunquit. There are many, many beaches. A zillion restaurants.( Mikes, The Steakhouse, The Omelet factory, Angelinas...yum ). Famous Renys' for sweatshirt & supplies. A movie theater. All within a couple of mile stretch. Oh, & LOBSTERS..... :-)
The apples are out and crisp. Boat trips out of Perkins cove in Ogunquit. Nice little town to walk around. Beach acres campground has weekend spots as well as Moody Bch Campground.. both on the trolly run.
Also, See-Vue.
Nice to just let someone else do the driving sometimes.
Whatever you do, Enjoy.....!
travelbugs....
Wells, ME & Venice , FL.
travelbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #10

If you are still looking, try Sea Veiw West in Wells Maine. Sites are huge, grassy and very very clean. Trolley has stopped running after Labor Day but it's pretty quite on Rt1 this time of year. Beaches are not overrun by lots of people that time of year also, very quite and peaceful . You won't be disappointed in campground, they close 15th of October I think.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #11

Thanks for all the information!

We plan to leave PA when the kids get out of school this Friday and head North. Most likely with traffic we will just lay over at the Wal-Mart in Biddeford, ME Friday night.

Saturday we will tour the area and take the kids on a lobster cruise in the area. My wife would like to visit LL Bean at some point. As for the rest, it is all up in the air. Normally I have have everything planned out, but since this is such a short trip, no real plans. If we like an area we will stay put, if not we will head North possibly check out the Bar Harbor area. I have found a couple of campgrounds that are open thru out this weekend yet in all areas so we should be set.

Pictures to follow next week!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
want a Cat 293REX

Please keep us updated - would love to hear about your trip! FYI - the traffic in that area will be super bad, especially for that weekend. That is a long way to travel from LLBean, Freeport area, to Bar Harbor, beautiful, but long and filled with traffic, so beware! near LL Bean area is the Harraseeket Lobster House on the river, go down and have a lobster cooked for you, its byob and fun! 2 take out places in one, lobster and the 'rest' the best onion middles you have ever had - small, rustic place, but fun!

Please report back!
boatless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #13

I don't know if this is the same place boatless mentioned, Harraseeket Lobster House, but if you go to Freeport their is a Freeport Harbor down through residential streets. I don't think there is a sign pointing you that way. I found it by following several signs pointing to Yacht Sales=water=harbor! Great place right on the water, you go around the back along a narrow walkway and you come upon a take out lobster shack with the days catch loaded right off the lobster boats. Last time there about 3 yrs.ago we got a 11/2 lb. lobster, two ears of corn, 18 little neck clams and salt potatoes for $11! Took it all back to the campsite, threw a huge rib eye steak on the grill and enjoyed the best surf n turf under the stars and by the campfire!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #14

FYI,
LL bean has a rv parking lot that will let you stay overnight.
Also Freeport/ Durham KOA is a great place to make a central location to that whole area.
Mike
Old 10-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #15

x2 on Baileys. They have a big rig section and many pull through sites. The heated pool (though it will be cold) and hottubs will be open. We like Baileys in the summer, when its warm to be in Maine. We'll be heading farther south in New England, Mystic area. Though the weather will be cool there also.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
Check out Bailey's Campground. I go every Columbus Day weekend. It is very big and halloween themed. Many sites dress up their area, hay rides, trick or treating. Very clean, Great place!!

Ill post some pictures later today for you.

Baileys is an awesome place for the kids, we have been there probably 15 out of the last 18 years at halloween theme weekend. The group is down to us now but the granddaughters are coming up, there young but it will be a hoot.
Mike
Old 10-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #17

We spent the Columbus Day weekend, 6 days prior to Monday, at the Texas FROG Rally in Kerrville, TX. It was the second annual Texas FROG Rally and we all , 72 RVs, had a great time. The weather was great. How was the weather in Maine?
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #18

Weather was awesome Maine , little rain Saturday morning

Old 10-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #19

Baileys in Scowborough in southern Maine the place to be. Autumn temps in the 50's and 60's, cool, lot of college football on TV . (Longhorn) Fan up here in the Northeast imagine that!! Colors up here, fantastic!!

Old 10-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #20

We left the Harrisburg, PA area around 3:00pm on Friday as soon as the kids got out of school. Drove most of the evening thru some traffic in the larger city areas. We arrived at the Biddeford, ME Wal-Mart close to midnight and spent the evening.

Saturday morning we uncoupled the truck and headed into town for breakfast. After filling up on a hearty breakfast it was into Kennebunkport for some sight seeing and lobster cruise.

President Bush's home...

After touring the area we were back in the coach and headed to Freeport Maine in search of LL Bean. With the RV parking lot full at LL Bean we were forced to park on their warehouse parking about 1 mile from town. We toured the store and filled a couple shopping bags. After dinner in Freeport, we kept heading North and spent the evening at the Wal-Mart in Brewer, Me. After breakfast Sunday morning we eased into Bar Harbor and our site at the KOA Oceanside.

After setting up we were into town and seeing the sights. Some lobster rolls for lunch and sweet treat from a local bakery, we were off to Acadia National Park. We did the loop on the park tour and hit the major sights within the park. We spent the early evening enjoying the sunset at the water front site with a toasty fire and dinner. Monday morning we were up and back on the road to Pa. A quick trip, but gave us an idea of where to visit in future visits this summer and the fall leaves could not be beat.

Cadillac Mountain

Sand Beach

Tags
columbus