Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 05:15 AM   #1

Construction Zones in PA- Warning

THis post is for anyone who plans to travel through PA. I don't think this will affect too many camping travelers for a little while, but starting in May the Pennsylvania Turnpike will start utilizing speed radar in the construction vehicles in the Philadelphia area. They will then start to phase this into the rest of the Turnpike.

If you are clocked doing 11 mph over the speed limit in a construction zone you will receive a $200 fine and a 15 day suspension of your license.

Here's a link to the news report for more specific information if you are interested:

'Operation Orange Squeeze' to crackdown on Pa. Turnpike speeders | Local News - WGAL Home
Old 04-17-2015, 11:00 PM   #2

Sounds like a good idea. Highway construction workers get injured or killed too often because of careless driving. State police are not very sympathetic with speeders in construction zones.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:44 AM   #3

Agreed good idea. People need to slow down
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhyer View Post
Agreed good idea. People need to slow down
+1

I got passed by a Class A the other day that was towing a car and going at least 85 MPH. On the outer beltway here in Charlotte.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #5

Agreed everyone should slow down, especially when towing. But as a resident of the Communistwealth of PA, I can tell you that this is more likely about raising dollars than it is about protecting construction workers. It should be called "Operation Wallet Suck."
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

As a former long time resident of PA, I can also attest to the fact that there are suspiciously more construction zones around than in other parts of the country. haha.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #7

They can't raise dollars unless you're violating the law.
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #8

I like the way KY signs read (WHOA)!! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Agreed everyone should slow down, especially when towing. But as a resident of the Communistwealth of PA, I can tell you that this is more likely about raising dollars than it is about protecting construction workers. It should be called "Operation Wallet Suck."
If they really wanted to raise money from violations, they wouldn't give a buffer of 11mph. They would stop you at 6 mph over.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #10

Having traveled through the beautiful state on PA many many times I can only attest to the fact that there is not a single highway in PA that is not under construction. IMHO
Capn Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Pete View Post
Having traveled through the beautiful state on PA many many times I can only attest to the fact that there is not a single highway in PA that is not under construction. IMHO
Fully agree and don't understand why the big trucks can "rocket thru" on the turnpike without too much worry. Scares the hell out of me driving in the mountains at 2:00 AM, in the fog with them passing!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Sounds like a good idea. Highway construction workers get injured or killed too often because of careless driving. State police are not very sympathetic with speeders in construction zones.
Yesterday I drove thru the perpetual construction zone AKA Ada county Idaho I was doing the posted 55mph and had one state trooper and a county deputy pass me, no they were not after anyone.

A few weeks ago there was a report from the tv news kids and those who replied on air said they drove 5-10 mile per over the posted 55 all the time because they felt 55 was tooooo slow.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong View Post
THis post is for anyone who plans to travel through PA. I don't think this will affect too many camping travelers for a little while, but starting in May the Pennsylvania Turnpike will start utilizing speed radar in the construction vehicles in the Philadelphia area. They will then start to phase this into the rest of the Turnpike.

If you are clocked doing 11 mph over the speed limit in a construction zone you will receive a $200 fine and a 15 day suspension of your license.

Here's a link to the news report for more specific information if you are interested:

'Operation Orange Squeeze' to crackdown on Pa. Turnpike speeders | Local News - WGAL Home
And it is the same thing for travelling in Quebec, the fine are double for a spedding tiket. So watch if travelling into the Belle Province.
BTW here we ar in KM/h ant it's 10Km/h over the indicated speed that you get stopped oy flash by the Mobil radar.

Happy Camping, can't wait. still have 3 feets of snow in my back yard.

Jean & Lucille
2014 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
2011 Silverado Duramax 6.6L W/Allison
electroblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #14

I simply respect the construction speed limits and let'er roll through!
A long time ago, I was a flag man for a month! Close to the worst job ever!!
No respect, drivers hate you, yell nasty stuff, try to play chicken with you, no bathroom breaks, in summer, holding a metal lightning rod (sign), feet burn up to your freak'n knees and on and on.....
Yes, rain or shine!!
Do it a day and you will be glad you are not doing that job!!
Maybe community service doing the job where you sped through would change opinions.....
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
I simply respect the construction speed limits and let'er roll through!
A long time ago, I was a flag man for a month! Close to the worst job ever!!
No respect, drivers hate you, yell nasty stuff, try to play chicken with you, no bathroom breaks, in summer, holding a metal lightning rod (sign), feet burn up to your freak'n knees and on and on.....
Yes, rain or shine!!
Do it a day and you will be glad you are not doing that job!!
Maybe community service doing the job where you sped through would change opinions.....
Agree! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #16

I live in PA and whenever we're coming home I can tell when we hit PA - the roads turn to crap. It's about time they start repairing these roads!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #17

Every time I have gone into PA it's a continuous construction zone they give you just enough space between construction to get up to speed then back in construction and a PA Trooper sitting right there waiting to pick up those that don't slow down fast enough.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:25 AM   #18

Agree x3: need to slow down in construction zones; constant road work in PA that never seems to make an improvement ; and yes, it's a beautiful state!
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:58 AM   #19

I work in the civil engineering field and we do a lot of work for both PADOT & the PA Turnpike. PA has a lot of roads & bridges, a lot more than most states. Funding has been a huge issue and they had been focusing on adding new roads rather than maintaining what was already existing. We just had a large funding increase so there are many, many projects. We also have a large amount of truck traffic from the coastline to get to other states. This heavy truck traffic plays a large part in the deterioration of the roads and bridges. Yes, there are a lot of construction zones but most don't restrict the traffic speed too much.

I also have many friends who work in the roadway construction industry. You need to put yourself in their position and think about someone speeding through a construction zone and causing an incident where a vehicle (or something the vehicle hit) flies into the active work area and seriously injures or kills a worker. A lot of times that worker is the families soul income.

It is a pain to go through construction zone, but eventually those construction zone will fade. It will take time. It always does when you are trying to play catch-up on such a large scale. Think about all those workers. They may also enjoy camping as much as all of us do. IF they are injured or killed because of unsafe drivers that privilege is stripped from them. How would you feel if you were laid up in a hospital rather sitting in your camper.

I not picking on those who haul TT or drive motorhomes only. I think for the most part those of who tow/drive motorhomes are respectful on the roadways. It's the others who need to be aware and we need to be aware on our travels in our everyday travels.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
I live in PA and whenever we're coming home I can tell when we hit PA - the roads turn to crap. It's about time they start repairing these roads!

No, come to Michigan. It's possible you'll lose your vehicle. I was in PA over spring break, lots of construction already on the turnpike for widening projects and the roads were already very nice.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote