Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #1

Corning/Watkins Glen NY

In July, DW and I are heading to the Finger Lakes Wine fest @ Watkins Glen Raceway and will be arriving in the area a little earlier then they will let us in (Friday 9am), Is there somewhere in the Corning / Watkins Glen area we can park for 1 night max until we can get in on Friday?

We are not planning on setting up at all, leave everything hooked up and just use the bed. Just looking for a rest area or lot that will let us just park.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There's a Walmart Super Center in Watkins Glen.
Having driven around there last fall, there would be many places that could work if permission was granted.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #3

If you like racing there's a great dirt track there on Friday Outlaw Speedway
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #4

Forget the WalMart, there are signs everywhere "No Overnight Parking", probably because the town is packed during race weeks at the track, especially NASCAR. There is a KOA about 3-5 miles from the track, literally just down the road. Also, in town next to the WalMart is a town owned public campground, Clute Park Memorial Campground, phone (607) 535-4438 rated 7.9 of 10 on campgroundreviews.com.
DW and I did the wine festival last year, our 4th or 5th time and had a riot camping with 6 or 7 other RV's in a rectangle compound. Enjoy!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #5

Forgot to mention Watkins Glen State Park is right there, about 3-4 miles from the track at most. They may have a site mid week no hook ups and cheap. Check ReserveAmerica for information.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:12 AM   #6

I was just hoping to find a spot to pull in and sleep, doesn't look like we will be in the NY line until after 10pm at this point, I spotted the corning welcome center, looks like they have spots to park, hopefully for over night only. I'll give them a ring to see if that's cool to do.

I think this is our 8th yr at the fest, we are just trying to get set up asap so we can head up North a little and hit a few local wineries before our crew of 5rigs/26ppl show up. A little alone time with the DW is nice before the party start. Usually we will convoy together Friday am and arrive around noon.

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
Old 06-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #7

If you are talking about the rest stop on RT. 86 you should have no problem. Also, just past Corning is the exit for Painted Post, NY, couple of miles at most on 86. Just off the ramp is a real nice WalMart, maybe a 1/2 from 86. Also a couple of close restaurants, Mickey D's that the DW and I have stopped at for breakfast sandwiches and coffee to hit the road with.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #8

Hi. Which direction are you coming from? We live just south of NY line in PA about 40 minutes from Watkins, just off Rte 86 east of Elmira. There is a SuperWalmart here in our town that allows RVs to park overnight. We are also going up to the Wine Festival. Will be our first time camping there; we were up there for the day years ago. What section will you be in? Any words of wisdom on what it's like to camp there at the festival?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #9

Just back from a great 4 day weekend at Cowanesque Lake C.O.E. campground just off of Rt. 15/99. We live in the Buffalo, NY area and come down 390 to 86 East. From your direction the WalMart I mentioned in Painted Post would be just past Rt. 414 which I believe you would be taking into Watkins Glen, I think two exits or no more than 5 miles. The WalMart also has a Home Depot in the same plaza and the Painted Post exit is Rt. 417, turn left, go under the 86 overpass and WM & HD are right there. Mickey D's would be turning right and not far away is a Bob Evans.
The big thing at the wine festival is make sure you and your group of campers are at least 6ft. from each camper. They go around with a tape measure to make sure you're far enough apart, fire rules I guess. Security and the Sheriffs are real strict with the 11PM noise curfew. Going into the festival make sure you bring a cork screw with you in case you check out the great bands they get on stage around the food court area and you want to open a bottle or two of your favorite grape! Prior to last year I had never heard of a "Foam" party, but if they have one again this year, check it out, it crazy. Enjoy the festival.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #10

Watkins Glen International allows camper parking and staying overnight at no cost, the night before the gates open, in the field behind the ticket office. The ticket office is just off county route 16 about a quarter mile west of the main gate (#2) where you enter the track for the Wine Fest.

That way you can get up first thing the next morning and get in line early without being in caught up in traffic and/or the lines at the gate.

Have fun!
https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatkinsGlenCamper View Post
Watkins Glen International allows camper parking and staying overnight at no cost, the night before the gates open, in the field behind the ticket office. The ticket office is just off county route 16 about a quarter mile west of the main gate (#2) where you enter the track for the Wine Fest.

That way you can get up first thing the next morning and get in line early without being in caught up in traffic and/or the lines at the gate.

Have fun!

Awesome, That would be perfect!! We pass that gate every time we roll in.

Thanks!!

Camped
2016 - 21 nights