Old 10-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #1

Cumberland Gap National Park, Bell Co. KY/Lee Co. VA

I have to count myself very lucky that I've got this in my back yard. From home I can be at the campground in about 30 minutes. The park headquarters are located in Bell County Kentucky (Middlesboro) but the campgrounds are in Lee County Virginia. Really nice facilities, clean and newer condition. Quiet, except for when you have over 200 boyscouts camping there too! Lucky for me most of them were at the back of the campgounds. Here are a few photos of my little pop up and how we were set up. And what we do to pass the time away... Dulcimer music!

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #2

Where is the fiddle, 5-string and guitar? Love the dulcimer sound wished I could have been there to hear it.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #3

very nice. Is this site near Leesburg?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by landofdixie View Post
very nice. Is this site near Leesburg?
It is in the far western most part of Virginia. Right where KY/TN/VA meet in the tip. WEST of Bristol.

160 sites, but only 41 have electric hookup. Really clean nice bath house. GREAT showers!

http://www.nps.gov/cuga/planyourvisit/camping.htm

2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Where is the fiddle, 5-string and guitar? Love the dulcimer sound wished I could have been there to hear it.
I know it would be a stretch for you to make it..... but you've still got time to make plans to attend next years Dulcimer Gathering. Here is the link to last years (2009). It is always held the second weekend in May at the Cumberland GAp National Park Campground. AND man alive is there Dulcimer music galore! Last one Terry and Pam were camping over a week before and people were already streaming in and there was jamming every day/night. Be sure and check out the photos.

http://www.terrylewisdulcimer.com/gathering.htm

Normally we drive down for the evenings pickens and then drive back home. Remember we are only 30 minutes away. NEXT year we will be there EVERY Day! NO more driving back and forth! More than likely we will be camped there from about the 27-28 of April through May 9th in 2010. Can't wait!

2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
Old 10-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbait8 View Post
I know it would be a stretch for you to make it..... but you've still got time to make plans to attend next years Dulcimer Gathering. Here is the link to last years (2009). It is always held the second weekend in May at the Cumberland GAp National Park Campground. AND man alive is there Dulcimer music galore! Last one Terry and Pam were camping over a week before and people were already streaming in and there was jamming every day/night. Be sure and check out the photos.

http://www.terrylewisdulcimer.com/gathering.htm

Normally we drive down for the evenings pickens and then drive back home. Remember we are only 30 minutes away. NEXT year we will be there EVERY Day! NO more driving back and forth! More than likely we will be camped there from about the 27-28 of April through May 9th in 2010. Can't wait!
This looks fun. We drive right through Bristol each May headed to the Gulf coast for a few weeks.