Old 01-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The closest Metro station will be New Carollton. If you are not familiar with DC or aren't planning to visit a place with onsite parking, I recommend Metro. Check Metro sched as it does not run 24 hrs a day. Not the parking lot gets full quickly with commuters so plan accordingly.
During non rush hour, the trip is less than 55 mins
Good advice. Thanks. I will talk it over with the DW. I definitely want to use the metro to get around the city. Just not sure the best way to get into the city. lol.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:10 PM   #22

My daughter lives less than a mile from that campground. We checked out leaving our camper there for a few days while we were staying with her. They were very accommodating and very helpful. It is a little ways to the metro station, but we have no problems getting there. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 01-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #23

Anyone recommend any good campgrounds or RV parks out near Leesburg?
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #24

Wa started a couple days driving to Arlington Cemetery and catching the shuttle bus around DC. I don't think they have the tour mobile any more.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #25
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Anyone recommend any good campgrounds or RV parks out near Leesburg?
Nothing close.

Lake Fairfax in Reston is supposed to be nice. More RV park than campground.

Bull Run Regional Park in Centreville (I think) is nice. I spent a week commuting into work from there. My wife and kids enjoyed the water park.

I've heard Brunswick Family Campground in Brunswick, MD can be nice though the reviews of it are pretty mixed.

And, it's not close- but I wouldn't mind trying a stay at Little Bennet Campground. It reads like it's real nice.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #26
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCath25ds View Post
My daughter lives less than a mile from that campground. We checked out leaving our camper there for a few days while we were staying with her. They were very accommodating and very helpful. It is a little ways to the metro station, but we have no problems getting there. Hope this helps.
It's getting to the Metro from Millersville that I just don't see a clear route to the closest metro stop. Cherry Hill and the Greenbelt NPS can't be beat from that perspective. They're just so close and convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob
Not the parking lot gets full quickly with commuters so plan accordingly.
I have to go into DC on a semi-regular basis, but it's always after rush hour and I never had a hard time finding a parking spot- either New Carrollton or Greenbelt (though Greenbelt, it can be a good hoof from the parking lot to the train station). That said, my cousins did have issues trying to find parking at Silver Spring.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #27

If I remember correctly the buses out of Cherry Hill don't start running real early. Always felt like we were getting into DC very late. But that's just me,I like an early start.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #28
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rig View Post
If I remember correctly the buses out of Cherry Hill don't start running real early. Always felt like we were getting into DC very late. But that's just me,I like an early start.

If that's a concern for others AND if you have a truck/towed vehicle, I'd drive to the Greenbelt metro station. It'll be easy to park in the morning and it's a quick hop into DC.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #29

Is there also a college park metro stop? Could this be checked if the metro station at Greenbelt is full?

Are there any express trains that one can jump on to get to the city or are they all normal trains that stop at every stop along the way?

Btw. How long is the train ride from Greenbelt to the city?

I think the DW and I have settled on the Cherry Hill CG since it does seem to be closer. And in April, we do not mind being in the open sun. It might make us warmer.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:49 PM   #30
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Is there also a college park metro stop? Could this be checked if the metro station at Greenbelt is full?

Are there any express trains that one can jump on to get to the city or are they all normal trains that stop at every stop along the way?

Btw. How long is the train ride from Greenbelt to the city?

I think the DW and I have settled on the Cherry Hill CG since it does seem to be closer. And in April, we do not mind being in the open sun. It might make us warmer.

Vin.

There is not a College Park station, but there is a WMATA bus stop right outside the campground gates.

I've never seen Greenbelt totally full up. If it does, drive 7 miles east on 495 and go to New Carrollton. I've never seen that one full, either. I have heard of parking pains at the Silver Spring station.

The are all normal trains. No express.

I plan on the train portion taking 40 minutes. But the walk in from the parking lot is long and figuring out the machines can be tricky for tourists. The metro employees are hit or miss as to their level of helpfulness.

Get SmartCards, they cost a couple of bucks but metro charges you a dollar each way any time you use a paper card. You'll be able to pay for parking with the SmartCard if you drive to a metro lot. It's a flat $5-ish for the day.

Tags
mpg