Old 01-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #31

If you decided on Cherry Hill, there is no need to leave the campground to catch a bus. The metro busses leave from there they start a little late in the morning. When we were there a couple of years ago I didn't feel safe In the surrounding area of the campground. We actually could get into DC quicker from the KOA,just parked at the metro station and took the train in from there no transferring from bus to train.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 01-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #32

Wow. $5 a day to park is awesome. It looks like the bus ride from the CG to the Metro is $7.40 one way for my family of 4. That would of course be $14 round trip. Much better to just drive to Metro. Google says Greenbelt is 2.8 mile (2.4 walking. lol) from the CG.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #33
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Wow. $5 a day to park is awesome. It looks like the bus ride from the CG to the Metro is $7.40 one way for my family of 4. That would of course be $14 round trip. Much better to just drive to Metro. Google says Greenbelt is 2.8 mile (2.4 walking. lol) from the CG.

After a day of walking in DC, another 2.4 is soooo not what I'd want.

And be aware, the walk from the outer part of the parking lot to the metro entrance is a good 1/4-1/2 mile. You'll be out in the boondocks with your truck.

We generally plan our days out around a single stop so we don't typically get day passes. We just put enough on to go to/from a single station.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #34

I think for ease I am looking to buy refillable cards and load it up with about $20 each. I can use it to buzz around as I see fit all week. I doubt one can ever use up all the cash on the card. They make it that way.

And I can use it pay for parking as well apparently.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #35
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I think for ease I am looking to buy refillable cards and load it up with about $20 each. I can use it to buzz around as I see fit all week. I doubt one can ever use up all the cash on the card. They make it that way.

And I can use it pay for parking as well apparently.

You'll need a card per person. And yes, they're pretty awesome that you get to have card(s) with left over money. My cousins ended up with all 5 cards with a couple of dollars each.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:47 PM   #36
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You'll need a card per person. And yes, they're pretty awesome that you get to have card(s) with left over money. My cousins ended up with all 5 cards with a couple of dollars each.
I was just wanting to ask that. For a family of 4 does it make more sense to drive into DC and park than take the Metro? Just looking at parking plus metro would be around 45 round trip.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:52 PM   #37
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
I was just wanting to ask that. For a family of 4 does it make more sense to drive into DC and park than take the Metro? Just looking at parking plus metro would be around 45 round trip.

When we drive in for an am event that was at the Old Post Office Pavillon which is near the mall and Smithsonians, we park near:
400 block of 11th street and Pennsylvania st.

Our EPA office is right off of the Federal Triangle stop a few blocks away from the Smithsonians and coworkers who drive in park under the Ronald Reagan Building.

I'd expect parking to be right about $30/day (best guess- we only drive in for a few hours in the evening).
Old 01-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #38

Quote:
When we drive in for an am event that was at the Old Post Office Pavillon which is near the mall and Smithsonians, we park near:
400 block of 11th street and Pennsylvania st.

Our EPA office is right off of the Federal Triangle stop a few blocks away from the Smithsonians and coworkers who drive in park under the Ronald Reagan Building.

I'd expect parking to be right about $30/day (best guess- we only drive in for a few hours in the evening).
Good to know. We are thinking we will try and get downtown Saturday the 4th and stay for the evening festivities. My larger concern is making the last train out to Viena station that night. IT should be a madhouse, so would prefer not to drive in anyway. If we go back on Monday will be a weekday and maybe not so busy.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #39

Quote:
I think Ft. Meade also has one, actually. But I think I'd prefer Andrews for getting into DC over Meade.
I wanted to comment on this - we were planning to use the campground at Andrews. Both my sister and her fiancee are active duty, so getting a spot was no problem. But the new rules are a ID holder MUST be with you on base at ALL times. So basically one of them would have had to stay with us. In the past immediate family could use the campground for visits.

They told her they always vacancies. I would guess that is why...

Old 03-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #40

We stay at a KOA in Harpers Ferry. You can board a train there and go right into Union station in DC or just a short drive about 1 hour 15 minutes. This year we will be staying at the Jellystone in Hagerstown MD

Tags
mpg