Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #1

Dc Baltimore area campgrounds

I am looking to spends a week or two this summer in the Dc baltimore area does anyone have any recommendations on campgrounds.
mulltrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #2

We have stayed at the Capital KOA and also Cheery Hill we prefer the KOA. I like the location of the KOA better, they both offer transportation to DC. Enjoy DC there is so much to see.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #3

Ramblin Pines is north of Dc and west of Baltimore. I haven't been there in a few years, but it was ok when we were there a few times.
Bar Harbor in Harford County is close to Baltimore but further north from DC.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #4
Always Learning

This blog entry should help:
Camping near Washington, DC

Basically, Cherry Hill is the most convenient but also most expensive. There is a national park that doesn't have hookups that is almost just as close.

Going further out are more options, but getting into the city is less convenient. Big Rig, was there an extra cost for the transportation at Kapitol KOA?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

Capital KOA had a shuttle to the Metro but also offered evening bus tours around DC at a cost. I didn't feel safe at Cherry Hill. The place was empty but they packed everyone in one area.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
This blog entry should help:
Camping near Washington, DC

Basically, Cherry Hill is the most convenient but also most expensive. There is a national park that doesn't have hookups that is almost just as close.

Going further out are more options, but getting into the city is less convenient. Big Rig, was there an extra cost for the transportation at Kapitol KOA?
I looked at the list on the blog and remember staying at one listed about 8 years ago. Boy was that an experience. I won't say which one, hoping it has changed for the better. One Saturday night when the staff finished their shifts, 6 or 7 staffers went in to a camper. An hour later they had to open the doors to ventilate it. It looked like Jeff Spiccoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Cheech and Chong was stumbling out. The purple haze was horrible. I found out when I left that a sex offender also lived and worked there. I'm now a retired cop. I wasn't retired at the time, so we left immediately.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulltrr View Post
I am looking to spends a week or two this summer in the Dc baltimore area does anyone have any recommendations on campgrounds.
What amenities are you looking for during your stay?
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #8

I realize that it is a little over an hour away, but we camphost at Point Lookout State Park and we LOVE it. We go in to DC a couple of times while we are there.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:06 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
I looked at the list on the blog and remember staying at one listed about 8 years ago. Boy was that an experience. I won't say which one, hoping it has changed for the better. One Saturday night when the staff finished their shifts, 6 or 7 staffers went in to a camper. An hour later they had to open the doors to ventilate it. It looked like Jeff Spiccoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Cheech and Chong was stumbling out. The purple haze was horrible. I found out when I left that a sex offender also lived and worked there. I'm now a retired cop. I wasn't retired at the time, so we left immediately.

This is my home area, do you mind PMing the campground that this was?
Old 01-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #10

If you have any military connection; Andrews has one, and Fort Belvoir supposedly just opened a new one. Good luck.
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHAMILTON View Post
If you have any military connection; Andrews has one, and Fort Belvoir supposedly just opened a new one. Good luck.
I think Ft. Meade also has one, actually. But I think I'd prefer Andrews for getting into DC over Meade.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #12

There is also Cedarville State Park. It is just south of DC near Waldorf MD. Nice little park with electric only hookups. It is 15 miles from the Branch metro station and 23 miles from the Largo station.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #13

We stay @ Cherry Hill every year. Comfortable clean and convenient.
jimmyhof24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:23 AM   #14

Prince William Forest RV Park

Another RV Park that is in Prince William County near the entrance to the Quantico Marine Corp Base and The Marine Corp National Museum is the
Prince William Forrest RV Park. If you are towing a vehicle, it is about a 30 minute drive (outside commuter hours) to the nearest Metro (subway) station at Huntington or at Springfield-Franconia. Ask for the area in the woods. There may also be bus service from the gate at Quantico to the Metro, but that is about a mile hike from the entrance to the Park. I have been there once and they have a pool and store (basic), but my son and family go there often and enjoy the Park. I would think if you don't have a vehicle, you would be somewhat isolated from the Washington area. Also note that the entrance to the RV Park is different than the entrance to the Park itself.
BillRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #15

Is the Capital KOA the one one close to the Highway's? I seem to remember someone saying they could really hear the trucks traveling at night.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #16

Capital KOA and Cherry Hill are both near the highways. The KOA is more wooded and a little quieter, Chery Hill Is pretty wide open. Cherry Hill is in a more urban area.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #17
Always Learning

Big Rig is right, Capital KOA is in Millersville, MD and is at the junction of Rt. 32 and Rt. 97:
Google Map of its location

Cherry Hill is right outside of DC at the junction of I-95 and the DC Beltway (495):
Google Map of its location

Both are going to have highway noise.

My family are personally not bothered by that, our camper and A/C seems to drown out most things for us.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #18

Ok. Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the Capital KOA. The google earth pics show quite a bit of woods to the north of the campground. I will try to stay away from the pull thru sites that you can see in the open space.

The campground shuttle looks convenient but according to Google, it is a 55min drive from Millersville to DC.

Has anyone taken the metro into the city from that far out? How fast is that?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #19
Engineer of Crazy Train

I stood a few nights at Greenbelt National Park. It is quite old, but I actually enjoyed it there. My rig wasn't setup for dry camping, but I made the most of it. I would do it again.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #20
Site Team

The closest Metro station will be New Carollton. If you are not familiar with DC or aren't planning to visit a place with onsite parking, I recommend Metro. Check Metro sched as it does not run 24 hrs a day. Not the parking lot gets full quickly with commuters so plan accordingly.
During non rush hour, the trip is less than 55 mins

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg