Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #1

Destin area RV parks

We are about to embark on our first trip without our son to drive the RV. That being said, we would like a nice RV park in the Destin, Ft. Walton area or for that matter any place on the Gulf Panhandle. Pull thru's are going to be a MUST for me thsi first trip. Close to the Gulf would be a plus. We will be renting a car when we get there. Thanks for any advice.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #2

Topsail Hill State Park

You will never get a last minute reservation but the best place in that area hands down is Topsail Hill State Park
Old 04-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #3

RV Park Recommendations

We are about to embark on our first trip without our son to drive the RV. That being said, we would like a nice RV park in the Destin, Ft. Walton area or for that matter any place on the Gulf Panhandle. Pull thru's are going to be a MUST for me thsi first trip. Close to the Gulf would be a plus. ANY recommendations are appreciated. We will be renting a car when we get there.

This will be the trip when I decdide to keep my 2011 378 TS or sell it. Down deep I hope it convinces me to keep it.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #4

Camp Gulf if you can afford the $$$...

Can't beat the beach access or views.
2010 Ford F-150 Super Crew
Equalizer Hitch
pmahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #5

Check this one out, Directions & Contact Information for GERONIMO RV RESORT. It is half the price of the others, no pull thrus but plenty of room to maneuver. The drive is gravel but for the price, in that area, 2-3 blocks from the beach, you can't beat it!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
H2oski

Henderson SP right across from Bass Pro. Gotta Love it.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #7

Fellow Kentuckian, welcome:

The nicest park I have seen in the Destin area is Topsail Reserve State Park on route 30A about 12 miles East of Destin. It is a wooded area with easy access to a private beach. Unfortunately, there are only a few pull thru sites so they might tough to get. But, I would highly recommend Topsail.

Now, don't get intimidated with a 37' coach. I back my 35' all the time and never drove anything bigger than a minivan until I bought this thing at age 68, now 70.

I know this sounds strange but I actually learned a lot by reviewing online driving instructions. Look at the below link.

RV Driver Confidence Course: Part 7 - Better RVing

These things are not all that hard to drive. Keep your eyes on the mirrors to learn where in the lane you meed to be to be and soon, you will "feel" where you should be.

Limit your distance each day at first and stop at rest areas frequently. Drive SLOW, you don't need to pass anything. I limit my speed to a max of 65 on interstates and 55 everywhere else. You are out there to enjoy yourself so don't be in a hurry.

Good Luck!

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #8

Thanks Bill. I have to admit that I am nervous. I will turn 72 in May and the largest thing I have driven is a full size SUV. On other trips we have taken our son grabs the wheel and does not let go!! I will check out the website you suggested. Also, I did not think it would be tough getting reservations this time of the year. I sure don't want to spend two weeks in a Walmart parking lot.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
We are about to embark on our first trip without our son to drive the RV. That being said, we would like a nice RV park in the Destin, Ft. Walton area or for that matter any place on the Gulf Panhandle. Pull thru's are going to be a MUST for me thsi first trip. Close to the Gulf would be a plus. ANY recommendations are appreciated. We will be renting a car when we get there.

This will be the trip when I decdide to keep my 2011 378 TS or sell it. Down deep I hope it convinces me to keep it.

Thanks for your help.

Buddy check out this park. We stayed there in March. One of the nicest we have been to. Real quite. About 10 miles from the Beach and short drive to Destin and Panama City.

By the way....keep the 378 and have some fun!!

Live Oak Landing RVC Outdoor Destination
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
RBR

We stayed at Emerald Beach RV Resort in Navarre Fl it is right on the Gulf with their own beach and pier. It is very clean and the majority of the sites are pull through. It is about 20 miles from Destin. We are going back this fall we liked so much.
RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #11

We are on our way home from another great week at Henderson Beach State Park. If you reserve on www.reserveamerica.com, you can usually get a nice pull-through. you can walk to the private beach from from your site and every site is extremely private...no neighbors watching you. Only downfall is no sewer hookup, only electric and water. We've already made reservations for two more trips. You truly can't beat the location, Walmart across the street and numerous restaurants within a mile in each direction, yet you would never know it while sitting out around the campfire.
Indy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #12

I just replies to your post for Destin RV parks. Highly recommend St. rosa rv resort in Navarre, Fl. It is brand new, right on the sound. Lots of pull throughs. Little pricey, but well worth the couple of extra dollars. Since it is so new, you will probably be able to get a site as well. Won't after word really gets out! Here is the morning sunrise from our site when we were there in March. Also, very close to be some of the most beautiful beaches in Fl.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3806242110.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	29322
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #13

We have stayed at Emerald Beach RV Resort in Navarre Fl the past 2 spring breaks. We have really enjoyed it. Not really on the gulf, check a map website bay side (Santa Rosa Sound), but mostly pull throughs. Also check their website for directions and you can come in and miss the Hwy 98 bumper to bumper traffic which if you are concerned about driving would be a definite plus.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
We have stayed at Emerald Beach RV Resort in Navarre Fl the past 2 spring breaks. We have really enjoyed it. Not really on the gulf, check a map website bay side (Santa Rosa Sound), but mostly pull throughs. Also check their website for directions and you can come in and miss the Hwy 98 bumper to bumper traffic which if you are concerned about driving would be a definite plus.
We drove through Emerald Beach RV Resort when we stayed at St. Rosa RV Resort (just down the road). It was nice, but a bit closer together than St. Rosa and the pool and just general presentation at St. Rosa was far cleaner/nicer than Emerald Beach (in my opinion). I think St. Rosa is a bit more expensive, though. Anyway ... whatever you decide hope you
Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #15

Thanks Debbie. After spending more time than I should have deciding which on to selece I decided on St. Rosa. Not only is it a great looking resort the two people I talked to there were extrremely nice and helpful. Absoutely no pressure from them. Thanks for the recommendation. I will let you know how it went.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks Debbie. After spending more time than I should have deciding which on to selece I decided on St. Rosa. Not only is it a great looking resort the two people I talked to there were extrremely nice and helpful. Absoutely no pressure from them. Thanks for the recommendation. I will let you know how it went.
We really enjoyed our stay there. Splurge on a waterfront site. The very back sites are very close to the road. Excellent restaurant right down the road, East Bay Crab House. Beach across the bridge is beautiful. Here was a sunrise pic I took. Have fun

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-180420432.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	29955
Old 05-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #17

Any particular site number? They have several available.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Any particular site number? They have several available.
If I remember we had sites 19 & 20. We travel with our friend with a FR Lexington. Any of the waterfront sites are the best.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post

If I remember we had sites 19 & 20. We travel with our friend with a FR Lexington. Any of the waterfront sites are the best.
Debbie. You are correct about St. Rosa. We are really enjoying the RV resort. Jinks, Jan and Annette are the best folks and go out of their way to help. We are making reservations to come back next April or May. We also ate at the East Bay Crab House tonight. Good food. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #20

Sounds like your fears were unfounded! How was the drive? Now you are "experienced" , lol.
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote