Old 10-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #31
Mountndream I think you will really like Up the Creek! We stayed there in the spring and I would have stayed forever if I could! Enjoy!

RussellReyn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #32
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
My point is yes PF and Gburg are tourist traps. THAT'S OK! But, for those that spend the time and hard earned money to go there make it worth their wile. Is any Disney Park a tourist trap? Absolutely! But they are so well done people can't wait to go back before they even leave. We did not go to Dollyworld as time did not allow, but I'd still like to go there to see if it is worth it too. Pigeon Forge and to a lesser degree Gatlinburg have taken the preverbal pile of black bear doo and flung it against the wall and went with whatever stuck. People go to touristy areas to be "tourist" themselves. To escape the doldrums of work and for some everyday life. All I'm saying is if people are coming and spending money, some have posted 30 years and more and re-invest that money to the "tourist" attraction in a planned manner the represents the area and region of this country.
All I can say is you seem to be in a very small minority of folks that don't like the PF/GB towns. For being around friendly ,down home, southern folks, you can't beat it!

OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Gatlingburg and Pigeon Forge has it all. If you want amusement park, you got it. If you want side shows, you got it. If you want to get back nature, you got it.

The missus and spent most of our trip hiking and sightseeing in the mountains, with a few side shows. The daughter and SIL spent their time at the side shows. Some of our other camping buddies' went to Dollywood.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Last week GB was packed which it shouldn't have been at this time frame, least I don't think it should have been..
Last week they had The National Quartet Convention and that brought an additional 10,000 people to the area. I'd say that had a little to do with it.
2011 Ford F-450 4x4 Lariat
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ
Helmsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #35
When I go which has been twice, we stay out of all the commotion, and stay at Douglas Dam in Sevierville (check spelling) It's about a 1/2 hour away from PF and Gatlingburg. When you get tired you just go camp on the river. It's ran by the TVA and about 20.00 per night ele/water only. We then made day trips to the GSM and all that stuff, but was able to get away from all the craziness. The river is now contaminated so no trout fishing, for the wise, unless your a catch and release type person.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #36
AquaMan you ruined my day, lol! Wife and I were heading to Cherokee but side tracked to Cades Cove. We thought we would have enough time to see both but after a nice picnic and putzing around after the loop road ran out of time.

Old Coot, its not that we didn't enjoy ourselves. My disappointment is that the area of PF and GB could be so much better if they re-invested a little of the millions of dollars the area is taking in, that's all. The one thing that did make a huge difference in our visit was the "people". In that category, we have never been on a trip that we met such sincere sounding friendly people, whether in a service industry i.e. restaurants and our campgroung, or people we met at SMNP, hiking the Rainbow Falls trail, stopping for a beer in the Gatlinburg brew pub or dying laughing with the folks in town for a reunion from the USS Bennington Aircraft Carrier, years 1960 to 1965 at Tom and Earl's Back Alley Grill. Hilarious! I bought them a round of drinks thanking them for their service. By the way, Tom and Earl's was our favorite place in both towns.
2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
The service is always friendly, unless you go to "Dick's Last Resort". Their service sucks!!! If you've been there you'll know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #38
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
The service is always friendly, unless you go to "Dick's Last Resort". Their service sucks!!! If you've been there you'll know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
10-4 on that that's why the named it "Dick's Last Resort"
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #39
Love the PF Gatlinburg area but when we go I put on my pack and head to the back country of GSMNP for a week or so along with a friend of mine or my son. The wives do the touristy thing while we are gone and they have never complained about the area.
cvsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #40
It sounds like G'BERG has gone the route as myrtle beach , the best thing about Myrtle beach is the bypass around it .

mr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote