Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #1

Disappointed With Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg

DW and I just returned from our first visit to PF and Gatlinburg area after wanting to see the area for a number of years. Pigeon Forge is a joke! A Titanic exhibit? Really, what part of southern heritage is that about. Giant Ferris wheel sticking up out of no where. Rub down shop, attractions, yes the dinner theaters too. Congested main highway (Rt.441) that does not have timed traffic signals. They should make the curb lane an express type lane going in and out of the junk shops and attractions. Gatlinburg was better. Liked the numbered traffic lights as a reference marker. At least you could walk up and down the sidewalk to explore t-shirt junk shops, and peek in and out of the many side courtyards and alleyways. But Ripley's Believe It or Not, don't think so, the town could do with out it. Loved the moonshine presentation at Shine Moonshine, bought a bottle for $25. However, the town is dated, tired and worn looking. Not a lot of semblance to being in such a southern tourist area with a calling card like Smokey Mountain National Park. Easily they could make it like Broadway in Nashville, if they care. Get rid of the junk and add restaurants, shows and taverns highlighting blue grass and country music. You know, places adults like to go to, oh and they'll spend the $$$ too if it's good. S.M.N.P is amazing! DW and I wish we allotted all of are time in the area exploring it more. Rainbow waterfall hike, 3 miles each way was long a challenging, but we loved it! Cade's Cove and the loop road is wonderful, though we missed the opportunity to ride our bikes around it. Good thing, half mile in a black bear crossed the road right in front of the car in front of us to join its two mates just off the road! Awesome! Though disappointed with PF and Gtlbg, we will go back to take in more of S.M.N.P. and try to get into the country side of the area. Our campsite at Creekside CG in PF got a 10 rating from me on campgroundreviews.com. Smallish sites but everything else was perfect.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #2

DW and I are headed to Pigeon Forge in two weeks from today. We are staying at Up the Creek. Any hints for additional things to avoid?

We plan on spending most of our time hiking or exploring SMNP right now.

I am kinda apprehensive about staying in the RV park as we are gonna be the smallest camper there and its our first time using full hook ups. That shower is tiny. (plus I am huge)

Regardless, i love our camper and a bad day camping is better than a good day at work.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
(Dry Huunday)

Those two towns were bad tourist traps 30 years ago! I just pass through and only if I HAVE too! Give me the National Park and Cades Cove any day!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrieHunde View Post
Those two towns were bad tourist traps 30 years ago! I just pass through and only if I HAVE too! Give me the National Park and Cades Cove any day!
I don't think they've tried to be anything but tourist attractions. Same as Branson, MO.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #5

We go there a couple of times a year. Over all its a tourist trap environment and traffic is horrible. Mainly Early Sundays That's when everyone has to check out of the hotels and leave. There are certain back roads to take that bypass the mass exit. That being said, I have always found the area offers something for everybody. I live in Kentucky and it serves as a nice weekend getaway spot that other than the high sales taxes, wont break the bank.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #6

TBH, i doubt the wife and I spend anytime there other than at the campground. We are staying there because of the proximity to SMNP.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I don't think they've tried to be anything but tourist attractions. Same as Branson, MO.
Agreed!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

I love the area but in the 22 years I've been going those two towns have really slid downhill. They gave into the tourist trap mentality.

I was up there all last week, I went to Gatlinburg once for the Smoky Mountain Candy Kitchen, saw what I was afraid would be there and went back to my camper up in the park.

GSMNP is still awesome so I stay out of the way in a little CG and enjoy the park itself.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #9

Been camping at Elkmont campground in the SMNP once a year for more than 30 years. Watched Gatlinburg go to pieces. Have to drive through it on the way in and out and that's enough for me. Pigeon Forge, not for me even more than Gatlinburg. Now, if you are a young family with kids it does have more appeal but that another type of audience.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #10

Only good thing about the PF area is the knife outlet just off the interstate. My head is swimming every time I leave that place.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Don't understand the dialog here, if you don't like PF or Gat. why do you go there? I don't like to hike, but I don't badmouth the hiking trails, etc. PF & Gat have been for the tourists for as far back as I can remember as Branson has been and is. Just because you don't like those particular venues is no reason to rant and rave about how bad they are. Don't like the area? Don't go there. If you were expecting something different, simply say I was disappointed in what I thought it was all about and leave it at that. Just don't badmouth the area. It's not on my favorites list either, but I don't have to go there.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
DPF & Gat have been for the tourists for as far back as I can remember as Branson has been and is. Just because you don't like those particular venues is no reason to rant and rave about how bad they are. Don't like the area? Don't go there.
Yep, PF and Gatlinburg haven't changed all that much in 30 years.
By that I mean it's always been a tourist trap.
We go there one time each trip to the Smokies. The rest of the time
we're in Townsend and or Cades Cove walking biking and hiking.

Mountaindream-- If you're a hiker and don't want the crowds stay in
Townsend. We've been to Treemont Outdoor Resort 3 times.
A bit pricey but worth it. Full hookups and decent shower house. (Our
trailer shower is tiny too!) Pay the extra and get a creek side lot.

Some folks want to be right in the middle of the action, souvenir wise
and that's when you go to Gatlinburg. Just like some folks want to be
right in Destin FL or Daytona beach. We drive thru and move on! Maybe we crawl thru most days!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #13

My point is yes PF and Gburg are tourist traps. THAT'S OK! But, for those that spend the time and hard earned money to go there make it worth their wile. Is any Disney Park a tourist trap? Absolutely! But they are so well done people can't wait to go back before they even leave. We did not go to Dollyworld as time did not allow, but I'd still like to go there to see if it is worth it too. Pigeon Forge and to a lesser degree Gatlinburg have taken the preverbal pile of black bear doo and flung it against the wall and went with whatever stuck. People go to touristy areas to be "tourist" themselves. To escape the doldrums of work and for some everyday life. All I'm saying is if people are coming and spending money, some have posted 30 years and more and re-invest that money to the "tourist" attraction in a planned manner the represents the area and region of this country.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #14

Old Coot, the only reason I am complaining about Pigeon Forge is because i was told there was a place to buy Awning poles there I figured that was what caused all the traffic
Old 10-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #15

One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess. Been to both PF and Gatlinburg and like them both. We went to the Titanic exhibit and the entire family enjoyed it, very educational. They give you a boarding pass with one of the passenger's name on it and at the end, you get to see if you made it or not. Gatlinburg had the tram to top of a mountain, Bubba Gumps and Smokey Mtn. moonshine. We didn't camp but rented a cabin and had trout fishing right behind us in the river. There are several roads that take you around both towns and spares you the traffic headache. We also spent time in the GSMNP. I didn't see it as a festering cesspool you described at all.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #16

We just returned from our trip to Western Kentucky, Thanks again KyDan for all the info. Anyways a guy camping next to us wouldn't shut up about how great Pigeon Forge is, glad to hear more about the area before I plan a trip there.
2013 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel
Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #17

We tent camped in the KOA in Townsend 2 years ago. Did the Cades cove loop road twice. Lots of deer. We saw a coyote chasing a deer the first night and lots of black bear the second. Went to the Dollywood water park our last day there. That was expensive, but the kids liked it. When I saw pigeon forge, I knew we had made the right choice staying in Townsend.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
blsst16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #18

If you are wanting to see mountains, go to the Breaks Interstate Park on the borders of Virginia, Kentucky and West Virginia. It has good hiking, beautiful mountains, rushing river, nice campground in the state park with water park and very little in the way of tourist traps.

http://www.breakspark.com/
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #19

Sure hope you did not drink any of the water because it makes you want to stay and we really don't want that do we. Agree with Old Coot, don't like it don't go. PS: PF & Gatlinburg are the highest grossing tourist locations in the country that do not have gambling according to USA Today and Newsweek for many years.
Yes I am from and in Tennessee, no I don't go to PF or Gatlinburg and I live hour away.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #20

well said OldCoot. That area is advertised as exactly what it is, a tourist attraction. It's like going to the beach and complaining they had sand. We spent the week of July 4th there this year and had a blast. Enjoyed many of the attractions and dinners. Traffic was heavy, but not to bad getting around.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote