Old 05-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #11

Camping at Disney's Ft Wilderness is one of my top 3 trips that I want to take my family on along with Yellowstone and Redwood Forest! All out of the budget right now with the baby on the way, but maybe in a year or two we can make one of the 3 happen.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Cool! We get there June 21 and leave on the 28th. We're just headed up the road to a campground in Clermont.
Not going to TT in Kissimmee?

Old 05-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #13
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not going to TT in Kissimmee?
Which do you mean? Sherwood Forest and Lake Magic are both extra money for us. But the TT Orlando is included in our membership- that's where we head for 2 weeks after our week at Fort Wilderness.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Which do you mean? Sherwood Forest and Lake Magic are both extra money for us. But the TT Orlando is included in our membership- that's where we head for 2 weeks after our week at Fort Wilderness.
Was referring to TT Orlando, which I think of as in Kissimmee as Clermont is 10 miles north of the park. Just different references I guess.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #15

concepumator,
Have you taken I-4 at all lately? Heard that they were starting a big construction project there and was wondering what that is doing to the traffic to Disney. We have been going to FW at least once and sometimes twice a year since '84. Really love the campground. And yes, Whispering Canyon restaurant is really great as is the Hoop De Doo Revue at the campground. Just make sure that if you go to the Whispering Canyon to ask for ketchup.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #16

Was there for Easter vacation. I-4 between Daytona and Orlando has major construction for building of additional travel lanes. 1 lane traffic each way for maybe 15 - 20 miles. Traffic moves, but can be very slow.

2014 Sportscoach Cross Country 405FK
2015 GMC Acadia
afd51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #17
Fulltime family RVer

There is a current discussion on FortFiends.net (registration required to view it) that talks about coming down I-95 and how to avoid the slowness of I-4. There seems to be a toll road called 417 that people use/recommend.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #18
7 Year Class A RV'er

Tollways are the way to go, just make sure you have change as some of the booths are unmanned. Here's a route map to help you out; this site also tells you how much toll to expect on your route, etc. Hope it's of some use to everyone.

https://cfxway.com/TravelersExpressw...rces/Maps.aspx
Old 05-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #19

Most toll roads in FL are now what is called ORT - open road tolling. You'll get a bill sent to you via your license plate.

Or you can stop at any gas station and buy a Sun Pass, which will get you a discount on all tolls.

Regarding I-4, yes, for the next 6 years my company will be completely reconstructing I-4 through downtown from Universal all the way to the north side of Orlando. It will not reach Disney, but if you are coming from I-95, be prepared. I'm currently helping out with that project, and was on the bid team. Go team.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #20
7 Year Class A RV'er

dkb74: Can you tell me which roads are ORT? If you don't have an Epass here in Orlando, you get a nasty letter once they track down your license plate along with a penalty charge and a threat to revoke your license! Just curious which ones may have moved into the 21st century finally.