Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #1

Disney Ft. Wilderness

How many of you are camping at Ft. Wilderness right now? I am sure there are many who are not looking at the forum while there, but just curious to see how many respond who are. This is our first trip in our new Hemisphere, so we thought we would make it a good one. It spoils you for anything else though.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #2

We'll be at Ft Wilderness in late June with the g-kids!
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #3

We've got a premium spot on a loop that allows dogs. Any advice on the campground? It's our first trip to Disney in the RV.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #4

The sites are all angled, which makes parking easy. This was our first time parking and we had no problems. We have Walkie talkies, which helps, but kids voices were coming in too. We watched a couple this morning that were yelling at each other, which the Walkie talkies avoid. Avoid the loop Sunny something, as it is full sun. I don't know the number for it, but will try to find out for you. We are in the 800 loop, which is nice. Close to the large pool and fishing pond, as well as a trading post. Pet friendly. Close to bus stop. Bike friendly so bring your bikes if you like. This place will spoil you!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 04-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #5

I rode my bike through this loop. It too is close to the pool and trade post. The sunny loop is Sunny Sage Way, loop 600. Some of the sites have shade and some are on the fishing pond, which is nice. Many are sunny with vegetation between the sites, but little overhead shade. It looked as if it is a pet loop too. It is a short bike ride to Pioneer Hall and the boat ride over to the Magic Kingdom, which speeds your time back to the site. It allows you to skip the buses to go to Magic Kingdom. It appears that the closest loops are 900 down. You can search for campground maps to get an idea.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 04-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips! I'm crossing my fingers that our kids will have a great time wherever we end up!
Old 04-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #7

We'll be there with the kids on June 22nd, for 7 days. Looking forward to it!!
Starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #8

We left the Rockwood 8316 at home last week and stayed port orleans french quarters at Disney 1/2 the week and in clearwater, Fl the rest of the half. After driving down the thursday before good friday from michigan glad we didn't have the trailer in tow. Traffic was crazy All the way south. Drove by the campground and it looked very nice would have been fun to camp at. We don't do hotels hardly ever and our kids all said about Wednesday they wished we where camping and not in a hotel.
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

For everyone planning trips to Fort Wilderness that haven't been there before, if you want to rent a golf cart, get your reservations in early as they sell out fast. We got out there often enough we bought our own cart to save the rental. Really a nice way to get around out there! You can also download a PDF map of the entire campground on Disney's site and it will help with navigation. For a real treat with the kids (or just the adults), check out Whispering Canyon restaurant over at the Wilderness Lodge. Just head down to the dock and take one of the launches over. Great food and a lot of fun. Also, you can go down to the launch dock at night and catch the fireworks and water parade. Have fun!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard View Post
We'll be there with the kids on June 22nd, for 7 days. Looking forward to it!!
Cool! We get there June 21 and leave on the 28th. We're just headed up the road to a campground in Clermont.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #11

Camping at Disney's Ft Wilderness is one of my top 3 trips that I want to take my family on along with Yellowstone and Redwood Forest! All out of the budget right now with the baby on the way, but maybe in a year or two we can make one of the 3 happen.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Cool! We get there June 21 and leave on the 28th. We're just headed up the road to a campground in Clermont.
Not going to TT in Kissimmee?
Old 05-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not going to TT in Kissimmee?
Which do you mean? Sherwood Forest and Lake Magic are both extra money for us. But the TT Orlando is included in our membership- that's where we head for 2 weeks after our week at Fort Wilderness.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Which do you mean? Sherwood Forest and Lake Magic are both extra money for us. But the TT Orlando is included in our membership- that's where we head for 2 weeks after our week at Fort Wilderness.
Was referring to TT Orlando, which I think of as in Kissimmee as Clermont is 10 miles north of the park. Just different references I guess.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:57 PM   #15

concepumator,
Have you taken I-4 at all lately? Heard that they were starting a big construction project there and was wondering what that is doing to the traffic to Disney. We have been going to FW at least once and sometimes twice a year since '84. Really love the campground. And yes, Whispering Canyon restaurant is really great as is the Hoop De Doo Revue at the campground. Just make sure that if you go to the Whispering Canyon to ask for ketchup.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #16

Was there for Easter vacation. I-4 between Daytona and Orlando has major construction for building of additional travel lanes. 1 lane traffic each way for maybe 15 - 20 miles. Traffic moves, but can be very slow.

2014 Sportscoach Cross Country 405FK
2015 GMC Acadia
afd51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #17
Always Learning

There is a current discussion on FortFiends.net (registration required to view it) that talks about coming down I-95 and how to avoid the slowness of I-4. There seems to be a toll road called 417 that people use/recommend.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #18
7 Year Class A RV'er

Tollways are the way to go, just make sure you have change as some of the booths are unmanned. Here's a route map to help you out; this site also tells you how much toll to expect on your route, etc. Hope it's of some use to everyone.

https://cfxway.com/TravelersExpressw...rces/Maps.aspx
Old 05-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #19

Most toll roads in FL are now what is called ORT - open road tolling. You'll get a bill sent to you via your license plate.

Or you can stop at any gas station and buy a Sun Pass, which will get you a discount on all tolls.

Regarding I-4, yes, for the next 6 years my company will be completely reconstructing I-4 through downtown from Universal all the way to the north side of Orlando. It will not reach Disney, but if you are coming from I-95, be prepared. I'm currently helping out with that project, and was on the bid team. Go team.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #20
7 Year Class A RV'er

dkb74: Can you tell me which roads are ORT? If you don't have an Epass here in Orlando, you get a nasty letter once they track down your license plate along with a penalty charge and a threat to revoke your license! Just curious which ones may have moved into the 21st century finally.