Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #121

Just returned from seven nights at Ft Wilderness. What an awesome campground. I would have enjoyed spending more time around the campground. I was amazed at the Halloween decorations. Looking forward to going back.
Pauldiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #122

I have to tell you that DH and I got the original camping bug from going there with my parents in their fifth wheel, so! be sure to warn your kids when you take them and their families!! It's pretty amazing I would def recommend either bikes or a golf cart.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #123

Looks like a fun time. Looking to spend 2-3 weeks there next summer with just me and the kids. 3 days down, 3 back and about two weeks at the fort. We're just hoping/waiting for Disney to run an annual pass discount before pulling the trigger.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
Looks like a fun time. Looking to spend 2-3 weeks there next summer with just me and the kids. 3 days down, 3 back and about two weeks at the fort. We're just hoping/waiting for Disney to run an annual pass discount before pulling the trigger.
You'll have to let us know when!

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #125

Just got back last night from a 7 nighter there ( 2nd time in 3 years) and had a blast. Halloween decorations were amazing!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #126

We'll be there Thanksgiving week. Looking forward to our third trip to Ft. Wilderness!
Cinrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #127

Just returned from a 9 day trip and loved it! Campground is beautiful and well kept! Love the convience of the laundry and ice machines at each bath house. If it wasn't so far to drive would camp there again without going to Disney!
Scottnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #128

LOL, the other problem is it totally spoils us against other campgrounds
Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #129
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnlaura View Post
Just returned from a 9 day trip and loved it! Campground is beautiful and well kept! Love the convience of the laundry and ice machines at each bath house. If it wasn't so far to drive would camp there again without going to Disney!
That's the beauty of only living 4-5hrs from Disney...we can go just for the camping!

Old 10-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #130
DDC

Going in Feb 23 for a week and looking forward to it, lost count of how many times we've been there, love Disney, going on Dec 3 for a week too but to Saratoga Springs tree house with the whole family.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Going in Feb 23 for a week and looking forward to it, lost count of how many times we've been there, love Disney, going on Dec 3 for a week too but to Saratoga Springs tree house with the whole family.
Have a great time, we have a Tree house the week between Christmas and New Years!!!!!!! I know were nuts going then but we also just booked the week of the 4th of July at the Fort so we must have a thing for crowds. We probably would not have done that except we took advantage of the annual pass offer thru DVC.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #132
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Have a great time, we have a Tree house the week between Christmas and New Years!!!!!!! I know were nuts going then but we also just booked the week of the 4th of July at the Fort so we must have a thing for crowds. We probably would not have done that except we took advantage of the annual pass offer thru DVC.
We renewed our annual passes in March but the ones we had were still current so we have not even activated our new ones yet, this way they won;t need renewing till Dec 2014, works out great with a little planing, enjoy the season and forget the crowds all are there for the same reason.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #133

I've booked 10 nights for Dec. 2014...how's that for planning ahead! First time at the Fort. I'm having second thoughts based on the 36 to 40 hour round trip drive (from central Il) vs. flying and the free dining plan. I'm driving a 35' G-town w/o a toad. I've booked a full hook up site and I'm wondering if a premium or preffered site might be a better choice. It's just the wife and myself...early 60's. Any opinions?
Ol Poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #134
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Poopypants View Post
I've booked 10 nights for Dec. 2014...how's that for planning ahead! First time at the Fort. I'm having second thoughts based on the 36 to 40 hour round trip drive (from central Il) vs. flying and the free dining plan. I'm driving a 35' G-town w/o a toad. I've booked a full hook up site and I'm wondering if a premium or preffered site might be a better choice. It's just the wife and myself...early 60's. Any opinions?
IMO...
Depends on how you're going to spend your time @ Disney...

If you primarily are going to be on the go, day & night...I'd opt for the flight/dinner plan/resort hotel accommodation route.

If you see yourself hanging out every evening back at the camper enjoying the RV leisure & great outdoors...I'd drive the MH to the Fort AND do get a premium site, allows more elbow space to lounge around.

Have a blast & tell Mickey hello for me

Old 11-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #135

Quote:
Either way you'll have a great trip, I would check out this site also for plenty of info Fort Fiends the folks there can answer any question you will have plus they have a section on all the sites at the Fort.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #136

My time is 50-50. We dont rush for opening of the gates and usually leave the campsite around 10-11am. Come back arounf 5 to walk and feed the dogs, and then its either out for dinner or we eat in. Then spend time at FW or head to a park in the evening.

I enjoy the preferred sites and request the 300 loop, its nice and close to the dog park which is a bonus for me with my Aussie. I prefer to RV down vs. flying just bacause I can take my pets and not have to find a sitter or a kennel.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #137

Quote:
please do yourself a favor and book either preferred or premium, we have spent probably 1/2 of our time at the fort in the past 4 years and we got a full hookup once over a holiday, it was not pretty. the sites are too small and depending on what loop you get with the full hookup you might have to learn a second language.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #138

Quote:
Agree with the PP. If you're spending all your time at the parks, a resort stay might work out better.... But... Free dining isn't really free... You'll be paying full rack rate for your room. So Instead of $100/night, you might be into $300/night. If you're staying in your MH, however, you can easily have two meals at your campsite and still get the full Disney experience. And when you break down Disney's dining plans, they're not really effective as a money saver for most people.. It's more of a convenience thing.
We've flown to Disney every January to escape the cold for many of the past 20 years... So we're hoping to go down next summer primarily for a completely different experience. Going to the parks will be secondary (we have season passes). Looks like you've been to Disney before too... So that's something maybe to consider as well.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #139

The Wife and I are staying at Saratoga Springs right now. We are moving to the Wilderness lodge on Monday and plan a walk thru the campground on Thursday the 14th as a camping trip at the fort is on our to do list for 2014.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #140
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We are heading to the Ft. for the week of 3/29-4/5. May do a day or 2 at Disney parks, but definitely doing a couple days at Universal, as we haven't been. We have a premium site reserved.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote