Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #141

Outstanding thoughts! Thanks.
Ol Poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #142
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
We are heading to the Ft. for the week of 3/29-4/5. May do a day or 2 at Disney parks, but definitely doing a couple days at Universal, as we haven't been. We have a premium site reserved.
A tip for Universal and the Harry Potter world from one of the workers- when we went last Christmas, it clears out once it gets dark (then was about 6pm). We literally walked up to each of the rides with almost no wait (except for the Hogwarts ride- that we waited for 30minutes). But the rest of the coasters and the wand shop were walk up and on.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #143

The premium sites are definitely larger and more "private" from the other sites. Was worth the extra money.
Scottnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Poopypants View Post
I've booked 10 nights for Dec. 2014...how's that for planning ahead! First time at the Fort. I'm having second thoughts based on the 36 to 40 hour round trip drive (from central Il) vs. flying and the free dining plan. I'm driving a 35' G-town w/o a toad. I've booked a full hook up site and I'm wondering if a premium or preffered site might be a better choice. It's just the wife and myself...early 60's. Any opinions?
While it might seem like a long drive it is not that bad if you break it up into a couple days. We made the same journey in the summer of this year (sort of North West IL - Quad City area). We took two nights to get there and one to get back with me the DW, 2 children, and our 80lb. lab in the truck. The DW won't pull the 5vr so I drove the whole way. I can recommend a couple good spots for you to stay if you want.

As for the site choices, I would recommend the premium, we actually called about a month ahead of time and were able to upgrade based off everything I had read and discussed with others. The site was great size and all concrete vs. concrete/sand.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #145
Always Learning

Agreed on the drive. We deadheaded it down in 20 hours and stretched the drive back over 3 days.

It's really not so bad.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #146

Go for the Premium sites!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #147

We are looking at booking a vacation here next year after the kids get out of school and would like to know what the real difference is between the Full Hook Up, Preferred and Premium sites? The only real difference I see is the pad size and cost. Is it worth paying more if you plan on using the parks during the day? Do they offer golf cart rentals or can you take your own?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ_Sha View Post
We are looking at booking a vacation here next year after the kids get out of school and would like to know what the real difference is between the Full Hook Up, Preferred and Premium sites? The only real difference I see is the pad size and cost. Is it worth paying more if you plan on using the parks during the day? Do they offer golf cart rentals or can you take your own?

Thanks
The difference between site is the premium site is all concrete with a nice patio area and also a larger picnic table more square with a rubber coating. Some of the other sites are smaller and with a sand or other type of ground covering that will eventually track into your camper, if adding a tent this could be good for you if not I would go premium.
As far as golf carts go yes on rentals but very expensive, and yes on bringing your own. There are also outside rentals that are much cheaper to use and very reliable.
As mentioned before check out the site Fort Fiends for lots of info on the Fort and Disney World
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #149

The fenced dog park is a HUGE plus for us. Probably 1.5 acres.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #150

Here is a good FAQ on the sites at the forts.

The biggest difference between preferred and premium are that the premium sites are a little wider and a full pad, where the preferred and full hookup are generally have a sand pad area at back of the site. Now this has never been an issue for me, and as long as I can get a preferred pet loop I am fine as its close to the dog park.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #151

You'll be glad you got the premium site if it rains. We got a preferred once.
Not having the larger concrete patio means more dirt floor/not grass. I know it's camping, but we're a glamping family...

Old 11-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #152

Thanks for the information and FAQ's answered even more questions.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #153

I just got home yesterday from a 16 day stay for my 25th wedding anniversary. We have stayed at just about every resort on Disney property as we are DVC members. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge this time and took 2 trips to the Fort Wilderness campgrounds. Once for horseback riding and the 2nd for a recon mission of the campgrounds. I have a bunch of pictures I need to upload but in true Disney fashion the campgrounds are amazing. We WILL be setting up a trip there with our 5th wheel sometime in the next year.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #154

Here are some of the pics I took from Ft Wildrness Campground. Bear in mind this campground opened in 1971 and was one of 3 places that could be stayed at on WDW property when the Magic Kingdom opened. The Contemporary and The Polynesian were the other 2 and both were on the monrail loop. Walt Disney purchased 47 square miles of property in Florida and to date has developed on only 1/3 of it! Amazing the condition of this campground is in enjoy.

a few sites occupied and empty

One of the creeks

outdoor activities the pools, the Chip n Dale campfire sing along pit, the outdoor movie screen, the offroad Segways the use of the tours

There are buses to provide transportation within the campground and then to all the parks. There are boats that run to the Ft Wilderness Lodge the Contemporary and to the Magic Kingdom. There were alot of golf carts zipping around to make things even easier on the camp grounds. There is a store there as well. I am an absolute Disney fanatic me and my wife go every year and can never get enough of the place. Personally I like the history of the man who created this all. Ironically Walt's oldest daughter Diane Disney Miller passed away today at the age of 79. She and her sister Sharon are what inspired Walt to create Disney Land (and then the Orlando parks) to begin with.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #155
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks for sharing!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #156

fort wilderness

has anyone been here for the first week in january. we are hoping the crowds are not too bad, and some christmas is left to see. many discounts, but none at the fort. will be going to universal also, but staying at the fort. any information wuold be helpful thanks keep on camping
oldnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #157

Yes, please share as we are talking of going first week of March.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnewguy View Post
has anyone been here for the first week in january. we are hoping the crowds are not too bad, and some christmas is left to see. many discounts, but none at the fort. will be going to universal also, but staying at the fort. any information wuold be helpful thanks keep on camping
There will be some stragglers from the holiday week that stick around depending on what day of the week New Years falls on, but generally the first couple of weeks of January rival the week after Labor day as the slowest time of the year. Great time to be there if you can manage it.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #159
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnewguy View Post
Disney is great to visit between New Years & first/second week of February

Spring Breakers start marching in just after mid February...