Old 10-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #31

Cancelling

We have to book 5 months ahead for provincial parks in Canada and for what they charge to book and then cancel, it has to be really bad for us not to go.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #32

Rain ~ always go. Heavy winds may delay but will head out to see if the forecast is accurate. Can always pull over until it subsides. Snow ~~ depends on how much. Stay on interstates as much as possible. Only problem is the truckers do not slow down no matter road conditions. Delayed ONE trip due to an ice storm. Would have delayed that one even without the 5er and with 4 wheel drive. It took a 2 day delay to have safe roads.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss9273 View Post
We got our 26DBH last Friday and already cancelled our first trip last weekend for rain but booked one this weekend with a 3 night minimum. The forecast has been up and down and I just want to go sooooo badly! Do you guys suck it up and enjoy, or forgo the weekend trips when it's raining?
We live in S Louisiana, if we cancelled for rain we would never get anything done. We have learned we do not melt so, we simply go and enjoy ourselves, rain or shine!

2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
1973 Layton 23' (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #34

We camp in snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss9273 View Post
We got our 26DBH last Friday and already cancelled our first trip last weekend for rain but booked one this weekend with a 3 night minimum. The forecast has been up and down and I just want to go sooooo badly! Do you guys suck it up and enjoy, or forgo the weekend trips when it's raining?
Snowing here this weekend and we are going
Old 10-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #35

I love camping in the rain. Its cool, the smells are amazing, and the lack of dust really ups it for me. I did it for years in just a tent.

The trailer in the rain is a bonus. Its an opportunity to fire up the kettle, make something hot and enjoy a book, or grab the kids and play some cards.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped so far: 14
Luv70sFords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:38 PM   #36

We always carry a pack of movies and some spare liquor for a rainy day Makes for a quiet and enjoyable day.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #37

Cancel for rain? LOL! The stories I could tell you about camping in the rain. Fortunately we were the ones in a nice, dry trailer when friends were in tents. One time we arrived and the CG host relocated us because our original area "tended to flood." Yep, next morning we woke up and the picnic tables in that area were floating. When it was time to leave he had to pull our trailer out with his tractor but what memories were made that week-end. And then there was Nauvoo, Il and then let me tell you about the time at Tahquamenon Falls, Mi. and so on. Enjoy the adventure (unless it's a hurricane).
RoyalFrog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #38

Never had to cancel a trip for rain. We are planning to go to Little Pee Dee SP in South Carolina this Sunday. We will call the park on Saturday and if everything is ok then we go as planned if not then we just go with the flow. Took a 2 months trip last year to the Grand Canyon and we never even considered the weather. we are planning a 4 month trip next year to Yellowstone NP and points west but we will go if the Lord allows us to still be on this earth then. As several have said in previous post, it is better to go camping in any weather (other than Hurricane) than it is to stay home. It will rain no matter what so enjoy your camper and the great outdoors.

Freddie & Linda
2015 Forest River Sierra 330RLS
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins Diesel
Days camped for 2016 - 46
Days Planned for 2017 - 118
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #39

Many forecasts chsnge...so unless its a weather alert or dangerous situation, we would not cancel. Just be prepared w/rain gear, rain boots, umbrella & games for inside fun!
Bottle of wine always helps too!! Lol!
Old 10-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #40

Living in the Eastern Sierra I follow the weather patterns closely. If snowing or the roads are really icy I will cancel or else travel in the afternoon after the roads thaw out.
I travel through the Mojave desert alot and the frequent severe winds. Numerous times I've pulled over and waited it out til morn. or delay my trip a day until they subside if really bad.
Rain? No problem, I'm always happy to get the free carwash! I just don't enjoy muddy dogs so much.