Old 10-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
I've already given you my impression of the park elsewhere on this site... but i'd like to chime in here too to help others form an opinion.

We've stayed at Hershey Park Camping Resort 6 times in the past two years (As of late summer this year, It's no longer referred to as Hershey Highmeadow Campground). I will note that we're season pass holders... so we get (i think) 15% off campsite fees... makes it easier to afford the slightly higher prices to be near the park.
If you're going to Hershey Park and have young kids, this is the best place in the area to be. Free shuttle to the park and the campground is blanketed with little ones at all hours of the day. Very well maintained and clean. Nice pool and lots of activities. If you're not going to the park, i would not suggest this one. I haven't been to the campground near Pine Grove (mentioned by a PP), but i hear it's great. I believe it's roughly 45-min to the park from there.
One thing to point out about Hershey Park Campground... There's an active freight train that runs along the edge of the campground. Very active.... like sometimes every 30-minutes. It runs off and on 24hrs a day. If you're near the tracks, it will wake you from a dead sleep. Through the night (after 11pm or so), it is pretty limited, but you can count on it coming through once or twice. In the back half of the campground, it's a non-issue (however, we always use noise machines so i can't say there's no train noise).
I've now had 6 different sites in two sections. Never went more than one lynx high. However, if you get up on the side of the hill (we've never been), then levelness could be a problem. In the big rig pull-through sites, they're all pretty level. No lego blocks needed. Yes... the big rig sites are JAMMED. I shake my head every time i pass it. There are 3 or 4 sites that have some space, but i try to avoid the area altogether. As a general rule (there's a few exceptions), I would never try to take a big rig (30'+) into any area other than the pull through sites. I've encountered more than one disgruntled RV owner trying to cram into one of the back-in sites. I have a 24' and i'm careful which sites i get. The camp store is not up to my own standards of what i think a campground store should be. The absolute basics and, for the most part, the rest is all Hershey souvenirs. Very disappointing.
The one BIG thing this campground has going for it, in our opinion, are the employees. Some of the nicest people we've met. They really do make you feel like they are there to please you (funny how so many campgrounds seem to have that backwards). Oh... and showers/bathrooms... best maintained facilities we've stayed at.
Thankfully, i got lucky the first time i camped here, and now i have the best sites marked on a map. There always seems to be a trade-off with the campground. The best full hookup, back-in sites are near the train. They're kinda spacious and have either the playground or stream behind you. The best full hook-up sites away from the train are in the cramped pull-through area. The good back-in sites away from the train only offer W/E/C (no sewer) or W/E.
There's also a KOA about 25 minutes away... Jonestown KOA. A small campground that has some nice spots (along the river) and nice people. They also have a full menu cafe that's surprisingly cheap. They'll even deliver to your site! My kids loved that. I suggest to stay away from the Hershey KOA... awful experience there.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L
KDHfan is online now   Reply With Quote