Old 12-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #1
East Coast trip in 2016

We're planning to do an East coast trip leaving from SC going up thru NYC then following the coast up to Bar Harbor. Then cross over to Canada to the Falls, back down they Pittsburgh and home to SC. We don't know how many days we will be at each place, so what do you do about reservations? Do you find you have to have a strict itinerary? I know NYC will have to be fixed dates at Liberty Harbor, but not sure about the rest. Anyone else done a coastal trip?

CardinalQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
Canadian Member
DW insists on a fixed itinerary and all stops pre-booked, but I could be more flexible. We're still working so we don't have the flexibility that we could have if retired.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
Just put the app RVparky in your phone and never be without a place to stay. It has all campgrounds, FJ/pilot, cracker barrels, walmarts and more, makes traveling without a set schedule fantastic. Also google it on your computer. Best thing I have found so far.
George & Jerri
06 GT 340 TSSE
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:33 PM   #4
We have very few RV parks here and through the summer reservations are hard to get. I would prebook to avoid disappointment.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 PM   #5
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
We have very few RV parks here and through the summer reservations are hard to get. I would prebook to avoid disappointment.

Reservations open in April.
Cg usually booked solid the day res opens.
Really sucks.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
Location: Home of the 4 time Super Bowl Champions Patriots and we'll be there again
Yikes 40footer thru NYC WOW. X2 on RVparky for on the fly and scheduled sites. I agree on making reservations for your size rig. Wassamki and Baileys around Portland,me have bigger sites and Narrows2 ,Timberland and Bar Harbor CG near Acadia. I travel Coastal 1 to Acadia find the turnpike boring. But in the summer it'll be a bit slow and Rockport and Camden might be a little difficult to get thru. Good luck
Mary and Me
2015 2650s

2015 Jeep Cherokee
n-e-d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
Sounds like a nice trip. When we travel, I usually have several options depending on how long DH wants to drive. Make sure you stop off at Pymatuning on your way back south! I highly recommend Bayshore Family Campground on the OH side.
"Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been." ~ Jimmy Buffet

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
I Break Everything
We did a trip summer 2015 really similar to yours. However we started from Texas. We hit Pittsburgh, Niagara, Buffalo, Philly, Boston, DC, the Cape, NYC, etc.

Here's a link to our google map. I'm not sure exactly how much is included in the map links. Mostly RV Parks, but also some side attractions...mostly record stores. Click on any of the links for links to RV Parks. I scoured the net and asked questions for about 6 months before we left.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
We did Alaska from florida 2 months no reservations only time we ever had a problem was traveling on 4 of July on a different trip I like to travel when i want to and stop and stay when we want to
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
Two months ago, we completed a 5 week trip backwards from what you just described. We hit Niagara Falls, then NH, and ME without going into Canada except for a few trips from our initial base camp at Niagara Falls. From ME we went south for a sort of historical trip, i.e. Boston Harbor, Plymouth Rock, NYC, Wash DC and Colonial Williamsburg & Jamestown Colony. (Most northern campgrounds start closing Oct 15.) On our return, we had to stop in Hershey PA to put out our "chocolate low-level warning light". All this time, we never made a reservation until the day before since we didn't want to be bound by a fixed itinerary. (We're in a Class A with a toad, so we don't mind parking a ways out and then driving into the places to be visited.) Since we homeschool our kids, we have the liberty of going when everyone else's kids are in school...makes a trip more delightful and relaxing in many ways! Have fun.

2015 GT 364TSF
Vince and Charlette is offline   Reply With Quote