Old 08-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Edisto Beach SP, SC

Will be in Edisto Beach SP this up coming weekend, August 23 and 24th. Any FROGS going to be there?

2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #2

Love Edisto, we drive down from the Greenville area every Spring. Friends of ours just got back last week from their first visit and loved it. Wish we were closer so we could go for a weekend trip! Have fun.

CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad View Post
Love Edisto, we drive down from the Greenville area every Spring. Friends of ours just got back last week from their first visit and loved it. Wish we were closer so we could go for a weekend trip! Have fun.
We are down in the Beafort area. I have been to Edisto several times to play golf, but never to camp. DW and I are really looking forward to it. We are also looking forward to college football. Got a spot at the Fairgrounds in the RV lot for all the home games
2016-(32) 2017-13
Old 08-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #4

We went to Beaufort once when we camped at Hunting Island. Nice area. Boys loved the big pirate themed playground on the water. I assume you guys are on the beach and not back in Live Oaks. It can get tight and buggy back in Oaks but the beach camping is great. We're already booked for next April!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm originally from Charleston. Stayed down here when I retired from the Marines. Love the Beaufort area, lots of boating, fishing and camping (if you plan in advance). We watch the website like crazy and try and snag Hunting Island whenever someone cancels. We do have a beach site. Is anything to see within walking distance?
2016-(32) 2017-13
Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

Walking? Piggly Wiggly and the beach, that's it. You can bike to a few other areas. If you want to look for shells head left down the beach to the inlet. Its 1 mile from the campground and once past the inlet, 2 miles to the next inlet. The inlet is crossable at low tide only, it will be ankle to shin deep then. You'll see lots of others walking down there for shells.

You can check out the dolphins at sunset by the inlet over by the timeshares. Go down the main beach road until it curves around and looks like it will end. Head down the timeshare/home road and park and walk to the beach through the access boardwalk (its public). Inlet is to the right and you can just follow everyone else. They are there almost nightly and you get a great sunset view.

Do you have a good water filter? The campground water is brackish tasting and not recommended for drinking unless you have a really filter. We get all our drinking water from the local fire station (its marked for both fire and drinking water off the main road). Its free and tastes great. You can use the camp water for showers, washing dishes, etc.

Dump station is down the road across from Live Oaks. Even if you have a towable tank, watch it going down as the speed limit is 45! Traffic will be used to people going slower but we just avoid it and manage our water usage until we leave.

Watch it pulling in to check in. Its a hard left turn after the gate into the campground with a big 6x6 post on the corner that looks like its taken a few hits!

What site did you get? We normally stay up in the front loop. Not sure what else you want to see there, the Interpretive Center is free since you are camping, the Edisto Museum has rotating exhibits, there is a nice plantation area close by and there is always the Serpentarium if you want to get up close to the local critters!

Feel free to PM me if you want specifics. We may be geared a little younger for stuff to see, we have three boys 5 and under but have been going since before we had kids.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks!! PM sent

2016-(32) 2017-13