Old 09-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
kpm

Biscuit.
You were spot on with your advice. We stayed at Jellystone this past weekend and it was great! The facility was clean and the people were very nice. This was the last weekend that the water slide was open so that was a plus. The water slide was lots of fun and very fast. The bugs were a little annoying when they were out in full force. However, the bugs/gnats were not around all day.

We would love to visit here again. I would like to try River State Park. However, If we drive that distance, the kids will only want to stay at Jellystone because of the slide and activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Have stayed at the Jellystone many times with the grandkids. A bit pricey but lots of activities for the kids. Nice facilities, clean, pull through full hookups. If travelling without the kids I would go somewhere else as I don't need all the activities. But we enjoyed our stays there with the kids.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #12

I realize you didn't list it, but Big Meadows in the national park has plenty of pretty decent sized pull-through sites and really outstanding breakfast at the lodge. If you do choose to go back, it's worth a look and is near several trailheads with hikes of varying difficulty.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
I realize you didn't list it, but Big Meadows in the national park has plenty of pretty decent sized pull-through sites and really outstanding breakfast at the lodge. If you do choose to go back, it's worth a look and is near several trailheads with hikes of varying difficulty.
X-2 on Big Meadows Lodge and the the Pub ain't bad either
Old 10-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The campgrounds in Shenandoah National Park are dry camping.....no electricity or on site water.....just common hydrants spaced out around the campground.

Other than dry camping, the campgrounds are great in the Park.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
The campgrounds in Shenandoah National Park are dry camping.....no electricity or on site water.....just common hydrants spaced out around the campground.

Other than dry camping, the campgrounds are great in the Park.
X-2 MtnGuy been camping @ Big Meadows every Oct. for many years.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

The title of this thread got my attention. I am from Shenandoah, VA (the town), and thought it meant the towns of Luray and Shenandoah. Besides the town of Shenandoah, there is a Shenandoah County, but Luray and the Town of Shenandoah are not in Shenandoah County....they are in Page County. There are also 3 Shenandoah rivers (north and south branches which join at Front Royal to form the main branch of the Shenandoah). And of course the Shenandoah Valley (which all of the above are located), and the Shenandoah National Park.

Did I mention there were also Shenandoah Caverns.....confused yet ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #17
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
Thanks. We visited this campground when driving through skyline drive. Very nice.

Question: There is a big field right outside of the entrance to this campground. There were dozens of people in the field looking at things in the grass. Is that area rich in nature or live animals? Looked like some type of guided nature walk... just curious.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
The title of this thread got my attention. I am from Shenandoah, VA (the town), and thought it meant the towns of Luray and Shenandoah. Besides the town of Shenandoah, there is a Shenandoah County, but Luray and the Town of Shenandoah are not in Shenandoah County....they are in Page County. There are also 3 Shenandoah rivers (north and south branches which join at Front Royal to form the main branch of the Shenandoah). And of course the Shenandoah Valley (which all of the above are located), and the Shenandoah National Park.

Did I mention there were also Shenandoah Caverns.....confused yet ??
What a nice area!
Old 10-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #19
Site Team

Stayed there one night in 2007 in the Walmart lot. All cgs were full. Walmart was great. Gave free coffee and cappuccino to campers in their lot. All 17 of us. Beautiful country. Drove the length of the blue ridge Pkwy and sky line drive.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #20

I have stayed at JellyStone Luray and plan to go back in the near future, likely next spring. I did look at the KOA since they have a fenced dog park from what I been reading. Either are good options for me.

If your looking to branch out of Western MD, I would suggest looking at Burn Cabins, PA. You have both Burnt Cabins Grist Mill and RV Park. We love them as they are family owned and have a still operational grist mill. Not much to do there, but thats the fun. Nearby is Cowans Gap state park.