Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
kpm

Exploring Luray and Shenandoah VA

Good morning,

Looking to visit the Luray and Shenandoah area to camp and cannot deceide between these three campgrounds:

1. Camp Jellystone (read reveiews from great to bad)
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Parkā„¢ in Luray, VA | Home

2. Shenandoah River State Park (no full hookups but looks really nice)
Shenandoah River State Park

3. Luray KOA
Luray KOA Campground & RV Park | Camping in Virginia | KOA Campgrounds

Has anyone been to any of these campgrounds that can offer some thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #2

Have stayed at the Jellystone many times with the grandkids. A bit pricey but lots of activities for the kids. Nice facilities, clean, pull through full hookups. If travelling without the kids I would go somewhere else as I don't need all the activities. But we enjoyed our stays there with the kids.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
kpm

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:08 PM   #4

We haven't stayed at Shenandoah River State Park, but we did drive through and check it out. It is very nice, but lacks trees for shade at the sites.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
kpm

I saw that too from the google maps view. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
We haven't stayed at Shenandoah River State Park, but we did drive through and check it out. It is very nice, but lacks trees for shade at the sites.
Yeah, that's a big issue for us, also.

Thanks for asking all these questions, kpm. I've been looking to branch out from Western MD and I've been interested in campgrounds in the Winchester, VA and southern area. Got friends down in Waynesboro, VA that I'd like to meet 1/2 way or so.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:38 PM   #7

We love the Jellystone. Great staff, super clean, lots of activities if you have kids. All four of us had a blast and can't wait to get back.m will be beautiful in the fall.
2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost Super-crew cab
Number of days camped in 2014: 10
BeedoGoesCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:36 PM   #8

Heading for Luray soon. Was recommended by other campers we travel with.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #9

We recently stayed at the KOA and it was one of the nicest campgrounds we have ever been too. Our site was huge with more landscaping than most homes have. Jellystone is closer to Skyline Drive. MUST go to the Luray Caverns.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
kpm

My problem is that I found a great spot and I'm cautiously trying new places

Nice Camper you have. Hopefully in a few years we'll move to a similiar model from our 23ss. It's nice, but dealing with bunk end maintenance and issues are more than I expected.

Oh yeah. thanks everyone else for the feedback. I'll offer some feedback when we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Yeah, that's a big issue for us, also.

Thanks for asking all these questions, kpm. I've been looking to branch out from Western MD and I've been interested in campgrounds in the Winchester, VA and southern area. Got friends down in Waynesboro, VA that I'd like to meet 1/2 way or so.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
kpm

Biscuit.
You were spot on with your advice. We stayed at Jellystone this past weekend and it was great! The facility was clean and the people were very nice. This was the last weekend that the water slide was open so that was a plus. The water slide was lots of fun and very fast. The bugs were a little annoying when they were out in full force. However, the bugs/gnats were not around all day.

We would love to visit here again. I would like to try River State Park. However, If we drive that distance, the kids will only want to stay at Jellystone because of the slide and activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Have stayed at the Jellystone many times with the grandkids. A bit pricey but lots of activities for the kids. Nice facilities, clean, pull through full hookups. If travelling without the kids I would go somewhere else as I don't need all the activities. But we enjoyed our stays there with the kids.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #12

I realize you didn't list it, but Big Meadows in the national park has plenty of pretty decent sized pull-through sites and really outstanding breakfast at the lodge. If you do choose to go back, it's worth a look and is near several trailheads with hikes of varying difficulty.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
I realize you didn't list it, but Big Meadows in the national park has plenty of pretty decent sized pull-through sites and really outstanding breakfast at the lodge. If you do choose to go back, it's worth a look and is near several trailheads with hikes of varying difficulty.
X-2 on Big Meadows Lodge and the the Pub ain't bad either
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The campgrounds in Shenandoah National Park are dry camping.....no electricity or on site water.....just common hydrants spaced out around the campground.

Other than dry camping, the campgrounds are great in the Park.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
The campgrounds in Shenandoah National Park are dry camping.....no electricity or on site water.....just common hydrants spaced out around the campground.

Other than dry camping, the campgrounds are great in the Park.
X-2 MtnGuy been camping @ Big Meadows every Oct. for many years.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

The title of this thread got my attention. I am from Shenandoah, VA (the town), and thought it meant the towns of Luray and Shenandoah. Besides the town of Shenandoah, there is a Shenandoah County, but Luray and the Town of Shenandoah are not in Shenandoah County....they are in Page County. There are also 3 Shenandoah rivers (north and south branches which join at Front Royal to form the main branch of the Shenandoah). And of course the Shenandoah Valley (which all of the above are located), and the Shenandoah National Park.

Did I mention there were also Shenandoah Caverns.....confused yet ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #17
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
Thanks. We visited this campground when driving through skyline drive. Very nice.

Question: There is a big field right outside of the entrance to this campground. There were dozens of people in the field looking at things in the grass. Is that area rich in nature or live animals? Looked like some type of guided nature walk... just curious.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #18
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
The title of this thread got my attention. I am from Shenandoah, VA (the town), and thought it meant the towns of Luray and Shenandoah. Besides the town of Shenandoah, there is a Shenandoah County, but Luray and the Town of Shenandoah are not in Shenandoah County....they are in Page County. There are also 3 Shenandoah rivers (north and south branches which join at Front Royal to form the main branch of the Shenandoah). And of course the Shenandoah Valley (which all of the above are located), and the Shenandoah National Park.

Did I mention there were also Shenandoah Caverns.....confused yet ??
What a nice area!
Old 10-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #19
Site Team

Stayed there one night in 2007 in the Walmart lot. All cgs were full. Walmart was great. Gave free coffee and cappuccino to campers in their lot. All 17 of us. Beautiful country. Drove the length of the blue ridge Pkwy and sky line drive.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #20

I have stayed at JellyStone Luray and plan to go back in the near future, likely next spring. I did look at the KOA since they have a fenced dog park from what I been reading. Either are good options for me.

If your looking to branch out of Western MD, I would suggest looking at Burn Cabins, PA. You have both Burnt Cabins Grist Mill and RV Park. We love them as they are family owned and have a still operational grist mill. Not much to do there, but thats the fun. Nearby is Cowans Gap state park.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote