Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
Always Learning

Exploring Southern Florida

We are avid Disney-goers. And, I know that makes some people roll their eyes so hard that they see their brains. So, I'm trying to figure out plans for a "real Florida" tour from late February to early May.

Problem is, I don't really know what "real Flordia" is... nor do I have reservations so most state parks are out. Additionally, a 42' fifth wheel is limited in what parks can take us. But, we are good with RV parks and don't mind paying up to $60-70/night (though, my ideal is sub $50/night for hookups). I know it's snowbird season, but figure I can find places to squeeze in. We'll look to spend 2 weeks in each location.

But, things that in Florida that I know of...

We may need to rendezvous with family around Sarasota for our first stop.

I'd like to do something with Miami and the Everglades, but I don't know if that is 2 weeks each or together. I do know that I definitely want some Miami beach time. I miss the salt and playing in waves. We didn't get that this past year like we usually do and I'm jonesing.

I've read of crystal clear waters in rivers and manatee watching. That sounds like something my family would enjoy.

For warmth, I think I'd like to mostly spend it south of Orlando. But, I really don't know when that warms up.

So... ideas? Possibly itineraries?
Old 11-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #2

Kennedy space center? Jetty park campground is near there. You can watch cruise ships come and go. I know , not real Florida , but still fun. 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
GJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJones View Post
Kennedy space center? Jetty park campground is near there. You can watch cruise ships come and go. I know , not real Florida , but still fun. [emoji2]

I think we'd definitely like that.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
2014 XLR 27HFS

For manatees in the winter, go to Homosassa Springs and Crystal River (rent kayaks). Contact Lake Rousseau RV park nearby.

Miami Beach may be famous but east coast Florida beaches got nothing on the west coast (gulf) beaches. Anything between Clearwater and Naples is like being in the Caribbean. If you can get into Hillsborough River State park just outside Tampa, that is a great stay.

There is a ranger led day tour of the Everglades I've heard is good. Earlier this year we did 4 days in Highland Hammock state park near Sebring. Small, but very nice. If you stay near Sarasota, I recommend a day trip to Stump Pass park - without the camper. (walk the whole trail)

If you are a KOA member, that might be the only chance you have of finding a site in Florida during the winter.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

The Keys and Blue Water RV is excellent. We are in Fort Myers and there is so much to do. I think its very busy January and February. You are right to stay south if you want an almost 100% chance of warm. We have stayed at Silver Palms in Okeechobee before and its a beautiful park but not much going on in the area. We are in Cypress Trail and love it. Nice park and again so much in the area.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
Always Learning

We did Key West last Christmas, so I'm good with skipping it. The other suggestions are excellent- keep 'em up!
Old 11-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

We have stayed at Blueberry Hill Just north of Tampa. It is a very nice park. Very friendly. Also Tampa East on I 4 across from Lazy days is ok. We stayed a week the last two years and its very convenient to attend the Tampa RV show in January. Also we have stayed at Sun and Fun in Sarasota. Nice park but huge. Great water water park.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:38 PM   #8

Best time of year for fishing in the Keys can arrange that in Marathon don't have to go out far since it's all reef down there cost is cheap usually 6-8 people to charter they clean the fish and you can have restaurant to cook them for. The Everglades has nothing in it any more we stayed a week in the deepest campground in there pythons have destroyed it took some tours in the park seen a few saltwater crocs no wildlife at all in the park to speak of I was there about3 years ago in November could see more probably around Miami, Homestead area we didn't have any problems getting into RV parks as far as being full
Old 11-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #9

Good manatee viewing @ Blue Springs SP in Orange City; we go every year. Just wait for cold weather. Also Wekiwa Springs SP in Apopka. Fort DeSoto near Sarasota really nice; they have sites right on the water. Also try web site RV Park Reviews; lots of good info there.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #10

Manatee Springs (~40 mi north of Crystal River) is nice. You rent canoes and kayaks and go out on the Suwanee River.

Ravine Gardens State Park in Palatka, south of Jacksonville, is kind of unique.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #11

Just spent a long weekend at Sun-n-fun in Sarasota for a rally put on by the dealer where we bought our motorhome, and can highly recommend it. It's huge but the facilities are excellent. Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral is one of my favorite campgrounds ( and very close to me also )

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2014 Rockwood 2109S
2013 F-150

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #12
Always Learning

Good stuff, everyone. I do appreciate the ideas.

I saw Sun-n-fun in Sarasota. I think it'll work well for a 2-week stay.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #13

Ocala National Forest area is one of our favorite places - try the Lake George area. Easy ride to Daytona/Ormond Beach areas and Volusia Speedway Park if you like a little dirt track racing.

I know you said South Florida, but this area is still worth checking out.

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We are going to Ft Myers at the end of March and staying at the San Carlos RV park. Nothing spectacular, but is close proximity to the beach (just over bridge, by foot or trolly) Made reservations last week. It's on the inner waterway and has docks right at your site. We usually stay at Red Coconut, but that's hard to get into and SCRV was almost 1/2 the price at prime season.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #15

If you are talking Feb. to May, north Florida is also the place to be. Spring hits the end of February, so it is not too cold after that. Highs probably in the 60's. As you move toward May, the temps will creep up slowly to the 70's (probably end of March) to the 80's and even 90 in May. Old Florida is found in the Ocala area, north to Gainesville. Micanopy is a small town south of Gainesville, which is a quaint half-a-day stop. There are museums and the beautiful campus of the University of Florida in Gainesville. There are several rivers in the area that make great day-trips. You can rent canoes and kayaks from outfitters. The Suwanee, Santa Fe, and Ichetucknee rivers are all located within and hour drive of Gainesville. Gainesville also has Paynes Prairie State Park and there are walking trails that allow you to get up close and personal with alligators on the east side of town. Just keep your distance! There is a nice biking trail from Gainesville to Hawthorne that takes you through the area. Williston Crossing RV resort in Williston, FL is a nice resort. They let kids in starting in April, so if you come this way in April or May, the snowbird season will be over. In south Florida, don't miss Alligator Alley. It is a drive across from East to West or West to East and goes through the Everglades.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

A nice place to stay in the central southern part of FL is the Ortona Lock Campground just east of LaBelle, FL.
It's on the Caloosahatchee River portion of the Okeechobee Waterway and a U.S Army Corps of Engineers campground.

Really nice sites (no sewer) and you can watch the boats come through the locks on the river. Not a lot else going on in the immediate vicinity but is centrally located between the coasts for easy back and forth driving to either side of the state.

Great place to just relax and get away from the hustle & bustle that South FL can be at times.

Find out more information HERE.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
A nice place to stay in the central southern part of FL is the Ortona Lock Campground just east of LaBelle, FL.
It's on the Caloosahatchee River portion of the Okeechobee Waterway and a U.S Army Corps of Engineers campground.

Really nice sites (no sewer) and you can watch the boats come through the locks on the river. Not a lot else going on in the immediate vicinity but is centrally located between the coasts for easy back and forth driving to either side of the state.

Great place to just relax and get away from the hustle & bustle that South FL can be at times.

Find out more information HERE.

Except its totally booked solid from January until almost the end of March, like every other campsite in Florida from about Daytona on south. I spent some time there for work a few years back, and could not believe what its like trying to get campsites in the winter. It easily surpassed everything I was ever told and believed about Snowbird season. Insanity. Even the state park campgrounds turned into packed parking lots. It takes talent to have a fast enough reservation finger that you can schedule campsites 11 months in advance consecutively for the entire winter, when they have a 14 night maximum at any one park.

Good luck ependydad, finding things to do will not be a problem but finding a campsite may be.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #18

Florida State Parks win awards year after year. But most of them are hard to get into in the winter. You have to book nearly a year in advance for Anastasia in St Augustine and Bahia Honda in the keys must be booked years in advance. I have been trying to get in there for four years with no luck. I love the wildlife in Florida. Disney's animatronic animals just don't do it for me. Oscar Sherrer in Osprey is close in to Sarasota but its an older Park with tighter sites.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #19

Doesn't state parks have a 14 day rule or most anyway
Old 11-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #20

Check out the KOAs. You will be paying more but more than likely get a spot. You might want to visit the Florida keys. Boyd's campground is good and so is the KOA on sugarloaf key. KOA is parking lot spaces though, but only 20 miles from Key West, clean and friendly. I think Key West is good for 2 week stay, lots to do in Key West and from Homestead Fl to Key west. Also like Homassasa(sp?) for the Manatees; but not for two weeks. The Everglades was great. Plenty to see and do; but not 2weeks worth. We did the "buggy" ride in the glades and an airboat ride. Plus visited wide life parks. If you are traveling with pets, makes sure they're up to date on shots and tags. Some places don't even ask while others want to see paperwork before you hook up. A lot of Florida Parks have insurance that does not cover bulldog breeds(boxer, pit bull, American Bulldog), German shepherds, Dobermans, Chow chows etc. be sure to ask before making reservations. I have seen people be evicted. I carry letters from two separate vets stating that my dog is an American bulldog - not a pit bull. The breeds look similar to a lot of people. Enjoy your trip no matter where you decide to go. Stay safe.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote