Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney View Post
Birdman are you sure that you are not paying any fees ?
I also have a NYS EZ pass but because I live in NJ I pay a $1 per month fee. However I do get discounts on the NY tolls that someone with a NJ transponder would not get. My account is linked to a credit card and automatically replenishes in $ 25 increments, but I think this adjustable. That is the amount I chose
No fees... I opt for paperless statements so maybe that's a difference?
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I have the PA EZ Pass. I live in PA and have had it since they started offering them.

I paid a $10 deposit on it when I bought it but that $10 was applied to the balance once registered.

There is a $3 annual fee. That is easily made up with the reduced rate in tolls using the EZ Pass vs paying cash.

My account only gets charged $35 once the balance drops below $10. I use mine heavily and never experienced a charge of more than $35 although I have had the $35 taken out twice in one week due to several long Turnpike trips during that period.

Same here in PA. Seems like everytime we turn around the PA tolls increase. It's nice to have the EZ pass because the rates are cheaper.
Bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman77 View Post
No fees... I opt for paperless statements so maybe that's a difference?

I just checked my account and under the fee schedule it said the fees are waived with automatic refill using ACH bank account or credit card.
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #24

After reading a the initial posts in this thread, I tried building a spreadsheet for various states. What a PITA!!!

My main complaint is the lack of info on use with a travel trailer or MH w/toad... I found 1 form to request a transponder specific for this type of use... I saw at least one state, forgot which one, that said when towing, use the manual pay lanes (though this may be out of date info). Then some have discounts others don't depending on where you obtained the transponder.

After bouncing around the inner web a bit, I found this a summary on Wikipedia which looks to have been updated recently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

After reading all of this I have a major head-ache... Wondering if we aren't better off just doing pay as you go, except all of the electronic only roads!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:08 PM   #25

I am also in NC. I do travel to PA sometimes. No annual fee and there is an automatic $20 recharge when it dips below a minimum amount. With heavier usage they will automatically increase the recharge amount, but will also decrease the recharge with minimal usage.
BradJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
After reading a the initial posts in this thread, I tried building a spreadsheet for various states. What a PITA!!!

My main complaint is the lack of info on use with a travel trailer or MH w/toad... I found 1 form to request a transponder specific for this type of use... I saw at least one state, forgot which one, that said when towing, use the manual pay lanes (though this may be out of date info). Then some have discounts others don't depending on where you obtained the transponder.

After bouncing around the inner web a bit, I found this a summary on Wikipedia which looks to have been updated recently.

After reading all of this I have a major head-ache... Wondering if we aren't better off just doing pay as you go, except all of the electronic only roads!
Don't forget the convenience of EZ Pass. No waiting in line to pay and sometimes use of high speed lanes
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #27

Question for those driving class c’s. Do you have any issues with the transponder being read? Did you need to do anything special to mount it on the windshield? I’m wondering if the big cab over causes any issues with the transponders.
cstrunk5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrunk5040 View Post
Question for those driving class c’s. Do you have any issues with the transponder being read? Did you need to do anything special to mount it on the windshield? I’m wondering if the big cab over causes any issues with the transponders.

I don't have a class C, but it makes sense based on reading some of the EZ Pass sites regarding how to install the transponder. The Ohio site says: "The E-ZPass antenna is located overhead, well in advance of the toll booth. If you do not have the transponder properly mounted as you pass the “read zone” then it may not work properly." Transponders must be in place prior to approaching the toll lanes.
It might be worth calling one of the service centers to ask about it or getting one of the license plate mounted transponders.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:42 PM   #29

Virginia EZ-Pass Flex. This transponder has a switch that allows toll travel in all EZ Pass Lanes, and free travel in High Occupancy Toll lanes when you have the required 2 or 3 people in the vehicle.

There is no annual fee if you access your account online. The only initial fee is to load $35 pre-paid tolls on the transponder. The minimum replenishment, when required, is $35.

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #30
Site Team

>> My main complaint is the lack of info on use with a travel trailer or MH w/toad... .......snip......

Thanks for that link. A quick glance shows PA with a $6/year fee and I know for a fact it's $3 so use the link to start your search but verify everything before you sign up!

FWIW- I'm clueless about towing vs not towing but I have always been billed correctly on the EZ-pass as well as several toll booths recently in Florida with the SunPass. I drove up the tollway in FL with just my truck one day and the next I had my trailer and the system figured it out. Same here in Louisville on the Ohio river bridges- it can tell if I have a trailer on the back or not... I'm thinking as more and more states go automatic with no manned toll booths they have to be able to tell whether you're towing or not.

I can get an EZ-pass right here at home but their website says "we currently have no annual fee BUT if we did initiate one it would be $5 a MONTH after a year of inactivity until the account was drained!" It's possible I might go more than a year occasionally so I'm NOT going to get one here!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #31

New York pass, no annual fee, use it towing the R-Pod or not, wouldn't drive without it.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #32
Trailer Park Supervisor

Pretty sure the system counts your axles as you go through the toll and bills you accordingly, from what I've read.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #33

We live in MD, but I am originally from MA, so we did many trips from MD to MA and the convenience of "skipping" the lines at tolls made it all worth it. We originally had the New Jersey transponder. Last year we bought the MD specific transponder. No yearly fees, but I believe it adds money if you drop below $25. But the best part is the state of MD charges less money if you use the MD transponder. We go over the Harry Nice bridge regularly, and if memorey serves (which i usually doesnt) it will cost you $6 cash, or $4.50 for EZ Pass, or $2.50 for "MD EZ Pass".

Old 02-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #34
Insert witty title here

I've been up and down the east MA to FL numerous times and the George Washington Bridge in NY - NJ is by far the most expensive toll on the trip. I towed my trailer over that bridge exactly once, NEVER AGAIN. I now go out 84 to Scranton then take 81. It's longer but MUCH less stressful and expensive.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #35
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
the George Washington Bridge in NY - NJ is by far the most expensive toll on the trip.
Guessing you've never taken Chesapeake Bay Tunnel/Bridge! 18 bucks one way.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #36
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Guessing you've never taken Chesapeake Bay Tunnel/Bridge! 18 bucks one way.

The GW bridge with my TT in tow costs either $68 or $72 one way depending on peak vs off peak hours and that's after the EZ-pass discount. It would cost $84 if I paid cash.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #37
Trailer Park Supervisor

Old 02-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #38

Wow all this is very interesting. I currently have no need for an easy pass and never been in a toll line for any time (just a few seconds). But tolls seem to be expanding everywhere, and this is an interesting thread.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #39
Who Dares, Wins

My mother refuses to get an ezpass. One weekend we just so happened to get to the same point in dover. We used our ezpass and arrived home 2 hours before they did. All because of the toll lines, we also paid less with a trailer then they did in their c because of the discounts

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #40

We have no need here as the nearest toll road is over 2 hrs away in Raleigh NC, and they take pictures of your tag and bill you, but no need for us to use that road. My last trip on a toll road was 10 years ago in West Virginia and I drove up and handed the toll taker my money no wait.

But I know things are changing. They are taking about a toll for widening I81 in Virginia but that talk has been ongoing for 10 years and gets shot down each time. With daily tractor trailer accidents something needs to be done though.

It is interesting to hear about the options though. Right now we stay in the mid Atlantic region no tolls, no worry. but that can change .

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote