Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #41

E-Zpass (it ain't EZ-Pass ) is a slippery slope. Started innocently enough when my daughter started at Gettysburg College several years ago and I put one in my car for frequent trips on the PA Turnpike back and forth from Cleveland (Ohio didn't have the option for a couple more years as the unions fought it). And then one in hers for her travels. And then in my wife's car for convenience. And then one in my summer car. My replenishment amount is $35 x 4.

Tolls are discounted many (most? a few?) places with the use of the transponder and some airports have parking paid via them. Even if only used once every couple of years a $3 service fee will be easily repaid with the discount and the ability to just drive thru the E-Zpass lanes.

We're now in Richmond and my wife and daughter use their's daily on the parkways. As far as they're concerned there are no tolls!

Map of states that use E-ZPass or a compatible tolling system.
  • Purple states use E-ZPass or have an electronic tolling system that is compatible with E-ZPass.
  • Yellow states have an electronic tolling system that is partially compatible with E-ZPass.
  • Red states have an electronic tolling system that is not compatible with E-ZPass.
  • Dark red states collect tolls but don't use electronic tolling.
  • Gray states don't have tolls.
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
I got my NY EZ Pass and with automatic ACH/Debit replenishment when it drops below $10 there is no annual fee. Mine is set to put $25 if it drops below $10.

I never had one before since I don't go through tolls on a regular basis, but NY went to all cashless tolls so I figured I'd get the EZ pass rather then get billed in the mail every time I do go through a toll.

Ray

I don’t know where in NY you are but, thruway is still has people taking my money where I am. (Central NY)
dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgemark View Post
I don’t know where in NY you are but, thruway is still has people taking my money where I am. (Central NY)

I'm in Orange county and they are phasing cashless tolls in one tollbooth at a time around here, including Throughway toll booths. Most of the ones in my general area converted by the end of 2018
Here's some info on the conversion:
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...on-valley-will

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #44
Trailer Park Supervisor

Orange County!!! Whoohooo! I snagged a wife from there in Florida, NY.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Orange County!!! Whoohooo! I snagged a wife from there in Florida, NY.

Nice going!

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #46
Trailer Park Supervisor

Nothing in the world like a black dirt girl!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #47

I do not have the EZ-Pass but I do have the IL I-pass. There are no fees associated with the I-pass. The only requirement is too have a minimal balance of $10.00 and a valid credit card on file.

I have used my I-pass several times when going east on all of the toll roads and turnpikes with no issues. No extra fees were added to my credit card when I use the I-pass out of state, just the collection of the tolls.

I just thought I mention a lower cost solution for our neighbors in the surrounding states.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:52 PM   #48

I got one for summer use in 2018 when I traveledin the NEast. Delaware had the best terms for me.
retired military
home is Fort Smith, Ar.
MEL T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #49

The Central Florida Expresway Authority has just announced the E-Pass Extra which is good in 18 Eastern states. E-PASS Xtra transponder costs $18.50, plus tax and $10 to activate your E-PASS prepaid toll account. There are no annual contracts or monthly account fees. E-PASS Xtra is fully compatible with E-PASS, SunPass, LeeWay, PeachPass, NC QuickPass, E-ZPass, RiverLink and I-PASS toll systems. https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass-xtra/
georgetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #50

We have Maryland EZ pass. No annual or monthly fee, current governor stopped that practice a couple years ago. Recharges $25 when balance in account gets to zero. Quick response to requests for supplies.
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Aisin 3.42 axle SRW LB CC pucks auto level 25 gal aux fuel tank towing 2016 Primetime Crusader 315RST Trailer Blocks, Lippert Correct Trac added, Goodyear Endurance tires Hawkshead TPM Good Sams GPS/trip planner
Days Camped: 2016 - 17: 2017 - 24: 2018 - 86: 2019 - 82
762vram2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:04 PM   #51

I may have missed the answer about Class Cs and if these passes work. Do they?
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
I may have missed the answer about Class Cs and if these passes work. Do they?
In our old class C, we just mounted the EZ-Pass in the front window of the upper berth. Never had an issue after that.
HillClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:41 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I can mail my transducer back to PA and they will issue a refund. We have a toll bridge here in Louisville which uses EZ-Pass. We rarely cross it but I want to keep some sort of EZ pass. Just trying to see if there is a cheaper state to buy it from. Thanks.
I have the Louisville Riverlink EZPass. No annual fee or minimum charge for updating that I am aware of. I normally drop $20 in when I up date but I have done $10 once.
krasay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
I have an Illinois one that I use two or three times a year that was a $10 deposit and automatically fills with $20 every time I get below $5 in my account with no additional fees.

It worked when I went through a Kentucky toll last fall. Might be an option for you.

Same here. Illinois with no annual fee. If there’s a remaining balance you won’t use, you can return it and get a refund. About 1/2 off on all tolls around Chicago, and of course no stopping! Also works in OH, IN and any other state where EZ-Pass is accepted.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:29 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Not sure whether this fits better in the dollars and cents or here but here we go.
I have a PA EZ-pass account. The reason is pretty simple- a few years ago we took a nice trip from KY North East all the way to Bar Harbor Maine and I grabbed an EZ-pass portable transducer in a grocery store in Hershey PA.

The PA account charges me a $3 annual fee plus it has a MINIMUM top up of $35.
Even tho we haven't used it for nearly a year apparently the annual fee dropped it below the minimum and it dinged my credit card for $35 last week. I now have a $42 balance and no idea if we will ever use it other than the $3 per year thing.

Question-- IF you have an EZ-pass-what state is the account from and what is your annual fee if any and what is the minimum top up charge??
Thanks!

Dan

As Cavie stated, I also have a Massachusetts E-Z Pass. No annual fee, just $20 minimum in an account.
If you tow a trailer (travel, 5th, or otherwise) in Massachusetts you need two transponders. I have one for just my truck and the other is programed for my truck & travel trailer, more for out of state. Massachusetts counts and charges by the number of axles.

Info I found about the E-Z Pass is it can be used in 15 other states besides Massachusetts (Maine, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky)
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote