Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #1

EZ-PASS questions for Sept NE RV Trip

Hi All NE friends.

I have a few questions you may be able to help me with for my Sept 2019 NE RV trip.
I have a 38ft motorhome and tow my small car. Roadways no problem as I have probably over 65,000 miles in my rig and no accidents. (YET lol)

I will be travelling up from Tennessee on the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway to Gettysburg PA then up to Newburgh NY and to Watertown Connecticut where I will turn around and back to Newburgh NY and head south to Delaware and the Cherry Hill RV Park NW of DC.
After DC I head south Bethpage Virginia and to New Bern NC and south to Myrtle Beach then Jacksonville FL

The routes will be Interstates as much as I can.
I know the roads in the NE have Tolls.
Being in my motorhome and towing I have 4 axles so tolls are higher.
Knowing this I wanted to ask if I was able to picked up an EZ-Pass toll transponder will it save me that much money?
Can I use it in all these states in the NE that have tolls?
This is a one time trip and don't plan to return with my motorhome and car.
OR
Should I just say hell with it any pay as I go and not worry about EZ-Pass?

Any input from locals or people who have travelled the NE is greatly appreciated.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #2

There are more and more states that share EZPass now that I would get it if I didn't already have it. Just isn't for toll roads also for bridges and tunnels and a lot of states around you now use it.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #3

I believe the discount is 10% on some if not all roads in PA/NJ. The best benefit is not waiting in line to pay cash for tolls.

2015 Tracer 3140RSD Touring
2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Blue Ox Swaypro BXW1500
mmangiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Hi All NE friends.

I have a few questions you may be able to help me with for my Sept 2019 NE RV trip.
I have a 38ft motorhome and tow my small car. Roadways no problem as I have probably over 65,000 miles in my rig and no accidents. (YET lol)

I will be travelling up from Tennessee on the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway to Gettysburg PA then up to Newburgh NY and to Watertown Connecticut where I will turn around and back to Newburgh NY and head south to Delaware and the Cherry Hill RV Park NW of DC.
After DC I head south Bethpage Virginia and to New Bern NC and south to Myrtle Beach then Jacksonville FL

The routes will be Interstates as much as I can.
I know the roads in the NE have Tolls.
Being in my motorhome and towing I have 4 axles so tolls are higher.
Knowing this I wanted to ask if I was able to picked up an EZ-Pass toll transponder will it save me that much money?
Can I use it in all these states in the NE that have tolls?
This is a one time trip and don't plan to return with my motorhome and car.
OR
Should I just say hell with it any pay as I go and not worry about EZ-Pass?

Any input from locals or people who have travelled the NE is greatly appreciated.
Yes it will save you money and also works out east except for Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #5

Some of the tolls in NH and ME have no booths, you just drive thru and get a bill in the mail. Not sure where else that is done. I have the EZPass and it has already paid for itself.
Duneit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #6

I paid $50+ in tolls from MI to Shanendoah NP. I was going to dig up that older thread.. what state to get it from?

If you buy one on the way, they take 48hrs to work, so isn't nearly as beneficial.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
Yes it will save you money and also works out east except for Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneit View Post
Some of the tolls in NH and ME have no booths, you just drive thru and get a bill in the mail. Not sure where else that is done. I have the EZPass and it has already paid for itself.

Thank you
I have decided to just stop and pay as we go.
Too much hassle to get a transponder as I live in AZ
Thank you all in helping me make my decision on not getting the EZ Pass
Have a great summer!
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #8

Travel all over those places and my EZ-Pass has always worked literally everywhere.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #9

From memory you don’t have to a resident of the state we got one from NY when we lived in CT

I’d get one saves hassle and time
Old 07-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #10

Here is the link that explains the NC Quick Pass, You want the NC Quick Pass E-Z Pass Interior Transponder.

https://www.ncquickpass.com/resource...nsponders.aspx

The NC Quick Pass E-ZPass work on toll facilities in North Carolina, Florida (SunPass), Georgia (Peach Pass) and the following states where E-ZPass is accepted.

Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Virginia
West Virginia

Initial cost is $7.40 per transponder. I bought 2 - one for motorhome & one for toad when traveling around. After that the cost is $1.00/month if you haven't used transponder in 12 months.
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #11

We live in South Dakota and have one. We travel through Chicago a lot and it is very handy to go through the E-Z pass lanes and not have to stop and through in quarters or wait for the attendant to make change or run a credit card.
ddejabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #12

Ez pass definitely worth it. The north east tolls are VERY expensive. We did not have a transponder the first time thru and paid $50 in tolls on the first 3 Bridges. It is MUCH easier to be able to just drive thru and hassle getting into the pay lane which backs WAY up.v
pamMJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #13

I know in NH we have 2 cars on 1 transponder so we can switch them between our 2 vehicles. I also used it in the MH and never had any issues with type of vehicle.
Duneit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #14
StlClay

I would definitely get one. No worrying about cash or toll lines. You will recover the cost before you know it. PA Turnpike sells them at roadside service station and they used to forgive you toll for that trip. I got mine at Wal-Mart for less than $5 in PA

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #15

EZ Toll Pass

I live in Florida now but when I lived in Indiana they charged me every month I did not use the EZ pass. I switched to the Illinois EZ Pass and they have no monthly charge for non use.

Make sure you find a state that does not charge you a monthly fee.

All the toll passes were supposed to be compatible some months back but they sure missed that date.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #16

Home - ATI

Good site to see who accepts what.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #17

I would get one, they save time and worrying about having money or change. Some stated that Maine and NH have only overhead drive thru, that is not the case both of those states have both, however Mass has down away with toll booth in a lot of places. We used ours going from NE to SD and back with no issues. If you buy one for your tow vehicle use the foil package to keep you from being double charged when towing!
groomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #18

You say that your going to travel from Tenn. to Pa. on the Blue Ridge Parkway, did you check the tunnel height clearance on the parkway. That road was built long before RV's were the thing and it does not allow any commercial vehicles such as 18 wheelers. You may find tunnels that you will not fit in. Another thing about the parkway is the top posted speed is 45 mph, most areas it is lower than that. It is a curvy, winding road with lots of slow traffic, I do hope you will not be in a hurry. One other thing, it is not open all year long.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

EZ Pass in PA is now about a 30% discount over cash.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #20

There is no liability nor cost in E-ZPass. Depending on where you get it there may or not be a monthly fee. I hear whining her about a $1/month fee. From guys driving 35-foot motorhomes (land yachts).

The few places I've driven where they just bill you based on reading your license plate offer the same discounted toll if you have E-Zpass. No cost for my PA transponder. (I have never lived in Pennsylvania). $35 deposit and they just bump it back to $35 every time it hits zero. I sometimes see "Low Toll Balance" on the display but it's all automatic.

Here in Richmond (and many other places) there are no toll tickets, just dozens (it seems) of frequent tool plazas. 25¢ and 50¢ tolls are constant. Yeah, there are "exact change" lanes which should be fairly fast but there's "that guy" in front of a dozen cars who can't find exact change or, better yet, who misses the coin basket, the coin rolls under his car, and he feels it necessary to get out and crawl under the car for a quarter. I've just driven by in cruise control on the bypass lanes...

-- Chuck