Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

Fall Creek falls

We are thinking about camping at Fall Creek Falls State Park in TN and I was hoping someone could give me a heads up on the campground. I have never been there and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #2

We camped there for three or four nights this past June. It is a great place to go! There are four loops for camping. We have camped in two of them. The first time we were in a pop-up, so we were in the pop-up and tent camping area. The bath house there was horrible. I want to say that it was Loop A, but the map on their website does not list which loop is which. It was the second loop on the left. This past year we stayed in our 30 ft. TT in what I believe was loop C or D. It was the second loop on the right. We had a nice, roomy site, but the path between the trees to put the trailer into was tight. We had to ask the guy across from us to move his truck - otherwise we would never had made it in. The first loop on the right also looked good and both of those bath houses were cleaner than the first one. I believe that with all the campers in the tent area using the baths, it was harder to keep clean.

The park itself has a lot of adventure. We rode our bikes on a wonderful bike path that went through the woods, up and down, and around curves. There are several falls. The main one in the photos is a very long falls that you can view from an overlook. There are also the Cascades, which are falls that you can swim under. We truly love the Cascades! Also, there is a swimming hole called George Hole. The water is fed from the mountain stream and cold, but it is very refreshing. It is a little precarious getting in and out, so someone who has trouble with their footing, like an elderly person or one who has trouble getting around would probably do best to avoid it. There is a nice grassy area for spreading your blanket or lawn chairs. On the opposite side of the swimming hole is a large wall of rock that many teens like to jump from (adults too).

There are picnic areas, a good size lake for fishing and canoeing, and other activities. I hope you will plan to go and have fun!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #3

Thanks for all the info. I sure hate tight quarters when trying to get into a camp spot but a lot of state parks are that way. I think we will give it a try before summer crowds take over.

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 03-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

Falls Creek Falls SP is worth a visit. Our impression when we camped there is the park is a gem with many things to do. If you like waterfalls and swimming in a creek, you will love the park. The campground itself is just okay. Many of the sites are difficult to level your RV since there are back to front slopes. Sites are close together (for a state park) and have no privacy. If you are able to go mid-week before school lets out, finding a good site should not be tough. Bring all needed supplies because there isn't much shopping in the area. Have fun and enjoy the beautiful state of TN!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #5

Smile

We just spent a week there. We were in Loop A #9 to be exact. Great state park, we had full hook ups. When we first arrived there was a crack in the water faucet and I used the empty site next to us. They had some one out the next day and they replaced the faucet. I also had an electric issue and they fixed it right there also.

Highly recommend it. Though word of caution we entered on the north side and had a white knuckle driving experience. Enter the south side off 111 and there are no issues.

The store they have is ok but any real shopping is about 45 minutes away in Cookeville.

Also if you hike the Fall Creek Falls bring water with you it is a hike, but worth it. We will definitely go back.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #6

I appreciate the info. I think we will head that way in a few weeks. Sounds like a nice place. We have been down 111 many times on the way to FL so that will be the way we go to the park. Thanks again!!

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 03-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #7

We camp there many times and actually just returned. It's one of our favorite parks. Coming in the south side is the easiest entrance when towing.
Their general store has many necessities if needed, have a decent restaurant at the inn, incredible hiking, and nice golf course.
Campgrounds are usually pretty crowded but most of the RV/trailer ones have renovated bath houses.
Many sites aren't level so be sure you bring leveling supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golfnbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:24 PM   #8

Fall Creek Falls is our second best Tennessee State Park. Of the 50+ parks across the state, 30 have camping for 5th wheels and 8 have restaurants at the Inn. Best camping was at Cumberland Mountain State Park, Crossville, Tn. But the best hiking, biking and buffet was Fall Creek Falls.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
Fall Creek Falls is our second best Tennessee State Park. Of the 50+ parks across the state, 30 have camping for 5th wheels and 8 have restaurants at the Inn. Best camping was at Cumberland Mountain State Park, Crossville, Tn. But the best hiking, biking and buffet was Fall Creek Falls.

I'm in TN also. What are some of your other favorites?
Old 03-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnbike13 View Post
I'm in TN also. What are some of your other favorites?
Natchez Trace, west of Nashville (and south of I-40) is the quietest. No motor boats allowed on the small lake. Food at the Inn is great on weekends and no swimming area day use for non campers.

Montgomery Bell also west of Nashville at Dickson has fabulous golf course but camping is limited to small & medium sized units.

Paris Landing is also small camper friendly but large lake with great fishing and close to Land Between the Lakes with many other resources.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:02 PM   #11

Fall creek falls is an amazing park. I have only been once but have some great memories. the only bad thing I could say is that when i was there it was a DRY county. I was informed of this by the local sheriff while sitting on my cooler full of beer with a coozie covered beer at my feet.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
Fall creek falls is an amazing park. I have only been once but have some great memories. the only bad thing I could say is that when i was there it was a DRY county. I was informed of this by the local sheriff while sitting on my cooler full of beer with a coozie covered beer at my feet.

Don't think that's the case anymore. I was there 2 weeks ago and they now sell beer in the park General Store as well as restaurant.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
Natchez Trace, west of Nashville (and south of I-40) is the quietest. No motor boats allowed on the small lake. Food at the Inn is great on weekends and no swimming area day use for non campers.

Montgomery Bell also west of Nashville at Dickson has fabulous golf course but camping is limited to small & medium sized units.

Paris Landing is also small camper friendly but large lake with great fishing and close to Land Between the Lakes with many other resources.

Thanks. Any chance you have some suggested site numbers at those? We usually make a list when at a campground so just thought I'd ask.
Our TT is only about 22'