Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #1

Farm Bureau Live \ Virginia Beach - Camping

My beautiful wife surprised me with tickets to Dave Matthews Band at Farm Bureau Live in Virginia Beach this summer. We have friends in the area and are looking at driving the RV out for a long weekend with them and the concert.

Other outdoor venues I've been to have camping (usually dry) on-site or across the street in some enterprising person's yard, but I can't seem to find anything like that online for this venue. My friend is local and doesn't camp, so he never needed to look for anything like this.

Does anyone know anything about camping on or near Farm Bureau Live? It's a special perk to tailgate all day then just wander back to your RV after the show and not have to fight traffic, don't need a designated driver, etc.

Otherwise my friend recommended the KOA since it's close to his house and not too far from the venue.

Thanks!

Tom
Old 03-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
geezer with gadgets

I think your friend is correct. Your best bet will be the KOA and take a car to the venue. it isn't far.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #3

The KOA.... been there many times... or, Holiday Trav-L Park.. just down the road from the KOA.... I'll be at the concert, not camping down there though, we're parking our trailer for the season at New Point RV.
BlueOX SwayPro (used when hauling cart too)
TomStacey616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

Holiday Travel Park super sites.
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #5

If you are military or retired military there is a campground on Dam Neck Naval Station not too far from the venue that is CHEAP. If you are not then it is the KOA or the Holiday Trav L Park just down the road from the KOA. Or there is the North Bay Shore Family Campground. Have not stayed there but the google site revues were pretty good.
North Bay Shore Family Camping

Hope this helps some.
Chris in Virginia
Retired Navy

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #6

Camping Near Farm Bureau Live VA BCH

I have spoken to a friend who works at the concert site and according to her there are no sites for camping. Another option not mentioned is the Walmart Store on Lynnhaven Parkway (Store # 2529) which is 3 miles away (7 minutes). I went by the Walmart yesterday and saw at least two RV's set up for the evening. Just another option and a better price. I just called them to inquire and they do allow RV parking overnight. The manager passed to me that they would like RVers to park as close to the main street (Lynnhaven Parkway) as possible. As always, check in with the manager/customer service for instructions.
Gonetothedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate the ideas and local info. We're still deciding how much time we'll have and therefore taking the RV vs flying.

Thanks everyone!

Tom
Old 03-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
geezer with gadgets

You're welcome. Whatever you decide, hope you have a good time.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:31 AM   #9

Definitely Holiday Travel Park. We've camped there for years and love it. we stayed at KOA once and I wasn't impressed. Showers were less than stellar. The same band-aid was on the wall for days!

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #10

I thought I'd update this thread for future searches...

We ended up staying with a friend who ironically lives directly across the street from the KOA! I hadn't been to his new house so it was funny to put it all together. Either campground would be an excellent location for Farm Bureau Live.

As far as FBL, they do have RV parking in "Lot E" for the show. This is not overnight camping type parking but rather for those that drove their RV. Come in the main entrance off Dam Neck and follow the signs to the 2nd parking entrance. You will be pointed to the paved RV parking area which happens to be about 100 yards from the main ticket gate! Awesome location. I'd recommend getting there when parking opens (in our case 2 hours before show time) to ensure you have space. There were 5 other motorhomes there with slides and awnings out having a great time. Getting out was simple, and having your own bathroom was priceless!

As far as the DMB concert, we had lawn seats and it rained almost the entire show. Thankfully we had rain gear so we were happy! We sat near the front of the lawn, met some great people and saw a great show! I highly recommend taking in or renting beach chairs there for lawn seats.

Thanks again to everyone who responded with suggestions.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #11

I know I'm late to this party, but for anyone else heading to VA Beach, First Landing State Park is a great place if you like peace & quiet. No full hook ups, just water & electric. $35/night and you're on the bay which is far less crowded.
If you like being packed in like sardines where your awning will touch the camper in front of you, then by all means check out Holiday Travel Park. We visited friends staying there and it is not for me. We have rented a cabin at KOA before and we thought it was nice. We have also rented cabins at First Landing and liked them better. They are rustic and simple.

Tags
camping