Old 04-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

Favorite NY campground?

Hello all. So as i like to check out new places each year tell me your favorite campgrounds in NY. Typically like to keep travel distance down (Cost and time) but not a major issue. I am pretty centrally located in NY about an hour east of Syracuse.

My preferred style of campground - Quiet, private sites with lots of large trees up in the Adirondacks, oh and i do everything i can to get a water site. I will search and search reserve america till i find a water site, which is how i end up trying new places usually. I don't care about or need hook ups and amenities. Sit back relax, swim in the lake with the kids, fish a little in the evening and some cold ones by the fire. Some of my favorites have been Fish Creek Ponds, Moffit beach and Lake Eaton. I have been told to check out Cranberry Lake and i want to check out the gorge trails at Watkins glen and letchworth. Oh and if you haven't seen it before check out fishcreekpond.com, a very nice couple has developed an amazing site of knowledge. My favorite is they have pictures of each campsite in oh maybe 20+ different state campgrounds, gives you an idea of the site you are about to book.

My kids have always enjoyed the places i like but they prefer the more private owned places with all the activities and amenities. They like Old Forge Camping resort, i have fun but not my favorite. We tried out the westerner NY yogi bear campground last year, too crowded for me but the had a blast with the water park, mini golf and more. If you have young kids i highly recommend the place.

So where do you go, what is your favorite, where must i sneak away with my better half to and where shall i suck it up and take the kids to lol

Old 04-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #2

Maybe not as wooded as you may like, Cole's Creek in Waddington on the St. Lawrence is nice. The swimming is great and it is fun to watch the ships go by. Half is pet friendly. All sites have water and electric but no sewer. There is another (names escapes me right now) down river near Clayton, NY (1000 Islands). Clayton has the Wooden Boat Museum, a fantastic collection! As for Fish Creek/Rollins Pond areas, my father had the ice delivery contract there in the 70-80s. As a teen, I rode on the tailgate of the truck yelling "Ice, ice for sale, blocks and cubes" and taking the money! Loved that place.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by limblips View Post
Maybe not as wooded as you may like, Cole's Creek in Waddington on the St. Lawrence is nice. The swimming is great and it is fun to watch the ships go by. Half is pet friendly. All sites have water and electric but no sewer. There is another (names escapes me right now) down river near Clayton, NY (1000 Islands). Clayton has the Wooden Boat Museum, a fantastic collection! As for Fish Creek/Rollins Pond areas, my father had the ice delivery contract there in the 70-80s. As a teen, I rode on the tailgate of the truck yelling "Ice, ice for sale, blocks and cubes" and taking the money! Loved that place.
I will look them up. Fish creek/Rollins, love the fact that i can stay right at my site and here comes ice, wood and ICE CREAM delivered right to me great peaceful area with some great sites with their own private beach
Old 05-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #4

We're from the Auburn ny area, just west of Syracuse. Anyplace in the ADK's is fine with us, our favorites so far are Eighth Lake, Limekiln(if you enjoy bears)
Lake Eaton, Lewey Lake(some great water sites). We've been to Cranberry Lake twice. Last time was last September for 8 days. Beautiful campground but a bit secluded if you're looking for things to do in the area. Not much around there. Visiting Wanakena is always fun for us. We went there by boat last time. It was an nice trip. Brown Tract Pond is also nice but very primative, even the rangers use generators. If you ever go there access it from Raquette Lake. It's all dirt roads. Steep grades and sharp corners from Raquette but only 2 miles in. 7 miles of gravel from Eagle Bay.
do you know about the web site that lets you look at pics of specific sites at many NY campgrounds? New York State Campsite Photo Database
We are going to Meacham Lake this fall. there are some really nice water sites there.

We like the ADK's so much one of our cats is named Adi-k.

2013 F150 Super Cab 4x4, 3.5L ecoboost , 7700lb suspension package. 11,300 towing capacity and Max Tow package
2015 Flagstaff 8528IKWS Diamond
aquaholic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #5

Check out glimmerglass state park in Cooperstown if you haven't already. About 6-7 miles north of the town located on lake otsego. We like it so much I go back for ice fishing sometimes in the winter.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #6

Last year we traveled out east to VT,ME, MA, RI, NY and OH. We ended up in western NEW York for a couple of days and we stayed at the Branches of Niagara which is on an island. Great campground with things to do for the kids and adults. Two other campgrounds we stayed at where Hickory Camp Resort which was in Bath, NY and the other was Herkimer Diamond KOA in Herkimer, NY. This was one of the best KOA's that I have every camp in.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #7

I was a big fan of Moose Hillock in Lake George. They had HUGE sites that were very private. And the pool was amazing. Definitely a huge plus if you have kids. The price was a little on the high side, but not bad at all for what you got.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarowe View Post
I was a big fan of Moose Hillock in Lake George. They had HUGE sites that were very private. And the pool was amazing. Definitely a huge plus if you have kids. The price was a little on the high side, but not bad at all for what you got.
I could not agree more. The sites were absolutely incredible! I'm going to try and put a link to a pic of our site there. Moose Hillock gets 5 stars from the Logan family!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

2016 Trips:16 Nights:41
2015 Trips:13 Nights:29
2014 Trips:13 Nights:31
CarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
AKA KE2DX

Lake George RV park is amazing! Pricey but, so much to do in the park itself. Sites vary by size depending on where you go as this place is very large. My wife and I walk every road in the park and it totals out to over 6 miles of paved roadway. Great family fare shows that are free, free paddle boats, fishing pond and so much more. Only 4 miles from Lake George village and 3 miles from Great Escape amusement park, there is also a paved bike trail that runs from Glens falls to Lake George at the end of the campground. There are 2 outdoor pools and 1 indoor...you have to see this place to believe it, check out their website and they are listed as 1 of the top 10 in the country by the travel channel.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:07 AM   #10

Letchworth State Park is beautiful. You are not near water on any of the campsites though. You have to travel about 10 minutes to get to the pool (without ever leaving the park). There are tons of trails for biking and hiking. You can go on a guided white water rapids adventure. They sometimes have guided horseback tours. The rec hall has a reptile expert come in on many Saturday evenings. There is a small history museum and Native American Council grounds near Middle Falls. Just outside the park has many attractions. The Charcoal Corral has numerous eating options, a drive in movie theater, even a Karaoke night. Outside of the Northern end of the park is a bowling alley/bar & grill. They have glow in the dark bowling. Can you tell we have spent a lot of time there? The group we camp with usually goes there once a summer. Bring a camera!

Tags
mpg